Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 21:26   #16

Re: MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

Terry, take a look at Mary's Music, on Accy Photos Thread.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2004, 21:31   #17

Terry take a look at Accy photos thread, Mary's music.
Old 06-12-2004, 21:47   #18
Resident Waffler

I suppose I was almost a hippy chick. I did paint flowers on my face and wear them in my hair, and wore numerous strings of tiny "love beads" and a bell round my neck. Come to think of it - it's more "definite" than "almost".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
I remember going to Accy Collage on Blackburn rd in 1971 (the old grammer school) with a sheepskin sleeveless coat thing that my family hated,flared jeans and cowboy boots,long hair and mexican mustache, thought I was the dogs bo**ox. Alas when I showed my kids the photos they howled with laughter and couldnt belive a bald headed old git like me had hair.
I loved those "afghan" coats! I had a bit of a crush on a folk singer who wore one.

My own favourite coat was a midi length herringbone with a huge collar from Biba. I wore it until it literally fell to bits.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 22:15   #19
Always EVIL within us

At school I was a mod along with all my mates. I had a Lambretta complete with a "tiger tail" dangling from the back rest......but then in 1967, I felt the need for speed and swopped my scooter for a BSA C15 bike with drop down handlebars and twin meg exhaust. All of a sudden, I was one of the most popular blokes in school as far as girls were concerned but most of my "mates" wouldn't even speak to me.

A couple of tales from that era, There was a mate that used a lighter to see how much fuel he had in his vespa tank And another mate that was posing on his scooter outside of school and a couple of greasers called him over to them. He went.....and they beat the sh** out of him!
Some kids have no intelligence!!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:16   #20
land of hope and glory

Dont know what i was? been an elvis fanatic all my life still love the bloke to bits!went to holy family in flourescent socks pink and lime green,and a pair of crepes got the p..s took out of me badly. didnt bother me and a few other people started to show there true colours. The p..s taking stopped when punk rock started!The first punk i remember around accy was a lad called kev grey he lived at the back of sacred heart pins and everything proper chap!love northern soul,country music about your dog dying,rythem an blues,contempary rock,and even one of barbara striesands, deep inside. just dont know where to stop!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:28   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
The first punk i remember around accy was a lad called kev grey he lived at the back of sacred heart pins and everything proper chap!!
Hehehe, Kev is my best mates ex hubby. He's a great lad. Works for a social services type place down South now. I'll let him know you remember him, I usually see him around Christmas time when he comes to visit the kids with their pressies..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 16:49   #22
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Hehehe, Kev is my best mates ex hubby. He's a great lad. Works for a social services type place down South now. I'll let him know you remember him, I usually see him around Christmas time when he comes to visit the kids with their pressies..
Small world or what lettie?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 18:05   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
went to holy family in flourescent socks pink and lime green,and a pair of crepes got the p..s took out of me badly.
yeah I remember them! and yeah you did get the p**s took out of you, one thing you haven't stated though is you used to wear one green one and one pink, you never put a pair on that was the same colour.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 22:21   #24
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

I was a Burnley mod, who wore mostly white, panstick on lips and a weird walk! I tried to look like Twiggy on her photo shoots and affected a pidgeon toed walk. Looking back i must of looked pretty daft! Burnley Mecca was a great place if any of my friends couldnt go out i just went there and there was always some-one that i knew there! I loved the atmosphere and a lot of the lads from Accrington were the best lookers around at that time!
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:40   #25
Junior Member+

I was a wee bit young when the Teds were around. They used to scare the bejaybers out of me. My uncle ken was a bouncer at Joe Morts.
Old 02-04-2005, 00:25   #26

Well kiki I hope I was one of them, lost the looks a long time ago, used to go to Burnley Mecca Twice a week sometimes three a lot better than Blackburn, girls better too, saw Georgie Fame quite a few times there as well.
Old 06-04-2005, 23:44   #27

By the way, When Georgie Fame had the record out called Get Away, he was appearing at Burnley Mecca and they had a car there they were raffeling, never heard who won it. The last bus home to Blackburn was always packed, I lived in Clayton then, lots from Rishton as well. I used to go on my own sometimes, but always somebody there I knew and always plenty of girles available.
Old 04-05-2005, 22:36   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Hi Anne. I suppose I may have been one of those 'handsome' teddy boys of which you speak. Lol (wishful thinking). I do know that in the late 50's I was the ony one in Accy with the full monty. My mum didn't want to know me.LOL Sky blue suit, tight drainpipes, jacket to my knees, black velvet collar,cuffs and pockets. lace tie, The mob that I was with generally had black drains, and a variety of jackets, some with velvet collars. There was only about five of us at that time 1956-1961. We all hung out at Joe Morts near the railway station.

Could anyone please tell me if Mary Mortimer is still with us. The last info I had was she had a 'Mary's music shop' on Whalley Rd. I would dearly love to contact her so her address as well if possible. Thank you if you can help.

I wonder if I knew you? I didn't go to Joe Mort's much but used to hang out in the Wayside coffee bar opposite.

My dad used to warn me to "stay away from the Teddy Boys". Well, I suppose you did project a tough image but, really, it was all quite innocent compared with today. The only Terry I knew was a very nice, blond-haired, stocky lad who drank pints and pints of - milk! It wasn't you, was it?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:35   #29
God Member

I was a modette as they called us female mods, with a green fishtale parker and red and white bowling shoes......... eee those were the days eh??

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:44   #30
Senior Member+

Ho how wonderful, i have found it great reading all these posts but i would have loved to have seen some of the clothes they sound great!

I remember seeing the teddy boys and their girls all dresses up they looked amazing!! i wish i was born then.

If anyone has any pictures i would love to see them.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..