Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2009, 16:47   #16

Re: Eagle Oil Shipping Co

Have you seen the book 'Eagle Fleet' by W. Lucas, published by Weidenfeld and Nicholson. It gives details of the 'San ships'. I borrowed it through my local public library who located a copy.

I first found reference to it in 'Pedestal' by Peter Smith which I bought in Malta. It gives details of the Ohio (nominally owned by Eagle Oil on behalf of Ministry of War Transport) and its role in the famous Operation Pedestal to relieve that island.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2009, 17:04   #17

I sailed on the San Vito,in 1953,as a junior engineer.
I sailed on the Cipriano in 1955 as 4th engineer
I loaned my presentation copy of all the ships.(Eagle Oil)
To one of the web site members but never had it returned.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 21:03   #18

My father, George Carr was a mechanical engineer and worked from Eagle Oil's London office from the early 1940's to the final merger with Shell. He left me a small book about the saga of the San Demetrio.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:37   #19

Hi.
You can return the book to my son who is the landlord of the arden inn on
abbey street.
thanks.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 00:36   #20

Hi. My father, Albert Redmond, from South Shields, served with Eagle Oil from 1948 to 1953 as an engineer on the San Adolfo and San Vito, before moving to Tyne Tees Steam and Navigation Company as Chief Engineer. He remembers trips to Trinidad, Valparaiso, Curacao, Rio, Montivideo and through the Panama Canal. He met my mother, Margaret (nee Alder - she was an English girl living in Holland with her mother and step-father, Arie Van der Meer)), while in dry dock in Feynoord, in Rotterdam in 1950 and they married in Rotterdam in 1953, before moving to South Shields to live. He remembrs old ship mates - Norman Willis (3rd Engineer), Donald Hodges, Chief Engineer, a Mr ? Taylor (2nd Engineer) Mr ? Humphreys. Donald Hodges approved of my mother and told my father to marry her - he did what his Chief Engineer told him! He can remember sunbathing on the after deck on San Adolfo! Happy days!
Steve Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 04:00   #21

hey,
I think this post is old and may not not be seen nor relevant, but i just found out my grandfather sailed on San Vito in 1947. I dont know much more than that but we have letters and a diary from his days on there.
staceyvandijk is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..