Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 10:18   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Who remembers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the son or one of sons? drove the hoss n cart in later years, he ended up a "bouncer" at the miners on friday nights, once threw me down the stairs wi 2 of his oppos.
Must have been a case of talking when you should have been listening cashy
Old 18-03-2008, 11:56   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Must have been a case of talking when you should have been listening cashy
no i was " Bouncing"...............down the steps.
Old 18-03-2008, 15:28   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
the son or one of sons? drove the hoss n cart in later years, he ended up a "bouncer" at the miners on friday nights, once threw me down the stairs wi 2 of his oppos.
With blood?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 15:50   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
With blood?
It was raspberry sauce (on the icecream) - but then I think you knew that

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:55   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
With blood?
not a great deal,mainly teeth.
Old 20-03-2008, 09:07   #21

thanks for photo of accy baths we used to be first ones in the pool on a sunday morning u can just about see tho winding gear for the coalmine at the back thanks retlaw that photo brought back many times left accy 1966 to live near birmingham
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:11   #22

any body remember the potateo pie man used to come in a van you take a dish out and he would fill it for a few pennies he used to come round within grove
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:16   #23
Resting in Peace

Can recall all apart from the Jazz Club and deck but then again only a ickle one in early 60's LOL

Loved the whistle to get ice-cream and BLOOD sauce hmmmmmmm.

Nothing better than freshly cooked chips with vinegar on and the smell of HOT vinegar mmmmmm (getting hungry now LOL)
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 12:14   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Who remembers?

Good old Accy baths. Many thanks for the picture Retlaw. It certainly brought back some memories.

Back in the early fifties single sex swimming except for some evenings and Sunday mornings.

Schools swimming in the mornings to teach those pupils who couldn’t swim how to swim by the accompanying teacher from the poolside. We were transported to and from the baths in a corporation bus for FREE as was the baths admission.

I was 10 when I taught myself to swim, sort of, after witnessing the fire brigade pull a drowned adult from a lodge. We were just messing around in the shallows as non swimmers.

Men and boys changing cubicles at poolside with 2 people to a cubicle. Women and girls upstairs.

Communal hot shower where bathers were obliged to wash first with the supplied soap, then step under the cold shower before diving into the water.

No lifeguard and only the boiler room attendant to be called if there was ever a problem.

Stone steps in each corner of the pool.

Three ‘splash’ diving board. Top splash was about 10 feet high diving into 6 feet 6 inches of water at the deep end.

71 lengths to get a mile certificate. I got mine when I was 12 and it took me over an hour.

Inter house school swimming galas once a year and also inter schools swimming galas.

Just down from the chip shop a street branched off to the left and just down that there was a ginnel that lead to a place where we could buy one penny and two penny bags of Smiths crisps. These were crisp bits but the bags were full to bursting.

My first job after leaving school and after training at Bank Hall Colliery in Burnley was at Scaitcliffe pit as a human pit pony. My job was to push a tub full of coal weighing several hundredweight from the coal face to the first chain.

At some 600 feet deep it wasn’t a very deep mine but the coal face was some 5 miles away and took about an hour to get there and an hour to get back to the pit bottom. No trains - we had to push our way along rails using what we called a sled.
Old 20-03-2008, 15:22   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i trained at Bank Hall Burnley,best job i was ever sacked from. loved the pit.
Old 20-03-2008, 18:08   #26
Resting in Peace

Talking of the old Accy baths, anyone remember the chap who used to teach swimming when we went with the school, I can only remember his last name which was Smith. I later came accross him at Belper Street in Blackburn, we used to go for a swim in the summer when we were at the Tech. I read that he died about 18 months ago he was well into his eighties, but he was a real nice chap, and he achieved the impossible of teaching me to swim
Old 20-03-2008, 18:30   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Talking of the old Accy baths, anyone remember the chap who used to teach swimming when we went with the school, I can only remember his last name which was Smith. I later came accross him at Belper Street in Blackburn, we used to go for a swim in the summer when we were at the Tech. I read that he died about 18 months ago he was well into his eighties, but he was a real nice chap, and he achieved the impossible of teaching me to swim
did you get a choice jaysay? i was only just behind you at the tech n was told swimming or football take yer pick,so it was no contest was 19 when i learned to swim.
Old 20-03-2008, 18:44   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Talking of the old Accy baths, anyone remember the chap who used to teach swimming when we went with the school, I can only remember his last name which was Smith.
His first name was 'Mr' Jaysay .. we would probably never have registered his first name as wasn't polite to know somehow.. I can't remember either

Oh yes Jambutty, that blooming diving step thing .. nearly knocked meself unconscious a few times on the bottom of the pool with that one .. and not forgetting the belly flops .. ouch !

And ladies, that hair dryer near the door ... had to put in a 1d. for the privilege .. cost more than that though .. didn't last very long ...

Loved the steps though as us ladies walked down to the pool .. just like going to the ball in a grand mansion...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 18:47   #29
Give, give, give member

Was his first name Leslie? Someone of that name also used to run the swimming club at the old baths, and I remember his obituary sadly appeared the other year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 19:10   #30

We used to go to the baths back in the '50's from the High School and a Mrs Broadley used to pull us along in a rubber ring to try to teach us to swim, but she failed miserably with me, I never did learn - and there used to be black beetles in the water!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..