Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2009, 16:51   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't forget the good old Dune Horse and The Old Bank cashy, had a phase of going in the Old Bank back in the early 80s, I was a mate of landlord, Geoff Edwardson, who was on the Lancashire County Pool Ass. Committee with me for a few years, he later took a couple of pubs in Accy think he had the Antley for a time and possible the Globe, but I'm not sure, but I bet Taggy knows
oh aint forgot em, also sun,swan,wine lodge, legs o man,county.merchant, then usually the cells.
Old 22-04-2009, 10:22   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
oh aint forgot em, also sun,swan,wine lodge, legs o man,county.merchant, then usually the cells.
My favourite was the third one on the right cashy
Old 22-04-2009, 17:05   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't forget the good old Dune Horse and The Old Bank cashy, had a phase of going in the Old Bank back in the early 80s, I was a mate of landlord, Geoff Edwardson, who was on the Lancashire County Pool Ass. Committee with me for a few years, he later took a couple of pubs in Accy think he had the Antley for a time and possible the Globe, but I'm not sure, but I bet Taggy knows
Nope, i'm afraid you've got me with that one John, unless i'd know him by sight the name's not ringing any bells. Never really went in either the Globe or Antley too often though, they were probably always in a lower division than us!! think there used to be an oldish lady ran the globe back then but might be wrong...the grey matter isnt what it once was i'm afraid! ....and it wasn't very good then!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 21:45   #64
God Member

Quote:
got to say I did prefer the Accy nick cells...as far as I recall they all looked the same to me... a bit off topic but was speaking my mate and when he was in the cells at Ipswich "come on eileen" was on the radio... I thought raggy git.. the only thing I used to hear was "oscar delta roger" and stuff
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 22:05   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i didn't, had a few banjoings in accys.
Old 22-04-2009, 22:39   #66
God Member

Quote:
i didn't, had a few banjoings in accys.
yeah and I tell you what..quite a few of them were bent.. in a criminal way..you get banged up for drunk and dizzy and they would try hard to get you on any theft cases they had not solved..may have changed these days.
Old 22-04-2009, 22:48   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yeah and I tell you what..quite a few of them were bent.. in a criminal way..you get banged up for drunk and dizzy and they would try hard to get you on any theft cases they had not solved..may have changed these days.
never had that one, mind don't think they would have fancied taking me upstairs. though i was blessed with the "Wet Towel" treatment once, which leaves no marks, just internal bruising.
Old 22-04-2009, 23:01   #68
God Member

Quote:
never had that one, mind don't think they would have fancied taking me upstairs. though i was blessed with the "Wet Towel" treatment once, which leaves no marks, just internal bruising.
Only time I went upstairs was to the Mags court on monday mornings ..you knew you were in for a bad time when you saw the clerk with the glasses on..can't recall his name but more often than not it was back down the stairs for a few months!

Last edited by Mancie; 22-04-2009 at 23:03.
Old 22-04-2009, 23:08   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Only time I went upstairs was to the Mags court on monday mornings ..you knew you were in for a bad time when you saw the clerk with the glasses on..can't recall his name but more often than not it was back down the stairs for a few months!
George Pratt. by name n nature.
Old 22-04-2009, 23:16   #70
God Member

Quote:
thats him..the Mags were at he's mercy..he didn't take no prisoners..but then again he took plenty
Old 23-04-2009, 09:34   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I knew George very well cashy, his son was a pal of mine back in the sixties, his son was okay though
Old 23-04-2009, 09:37   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Nope, i'm afraid you've got me with that one John, unless i'd know him by sight the name's not ringing any bells. Never really went in either the Globe or Antley too often though, they were probably always in a lower division than us!! think there used to be an oldish lady ran the globe back then but might be wrong...the grey matter isnt what it once was i'm afraid! ....and it wasn't very good then!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Geoff was a small really thick set guy, drove a white Bentley at one time, face like a robbers dog, hard as bloody nails, six inch nails at that
Old 23-04-2009, 18:42   #73
Junior Member+

Just to say a massive thanks to Taggy. Through this thread, I'm now back in touch with red roses . She was a special friend of mine in the 70s but we lost contact in 1978!

Superb job, Taggy!
swampbeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 19:00   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbeastie View Post
Just to say a massive thanks to Taggy. Through this thread, I'm now back in touch with red roses . She was a special friend of mine in the 70s but we lost contact in 1978!

Superb job, Taggy!
Its great to hear that you are now back in touch swampbeastie....i believe Portugal is a nice place to visit!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 05:39   #75
Junior Member+

Steady...........
swampbeastie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..