Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2012, 08:55   #631
Senior Member+

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

I Served my time with Barry as an electrician. Big Beatles fan Barry, if I remember right.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2012, 12:59   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
it's Melvyn Yates on the left of the picture, then Geoff Kenyon, Brian Webster and Barry Moran on the right.
Thanks Anzac. Do you know if he ever worked at Mullards in Blackburn?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 18:15   #633
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Thanks Anzac. Do you know if he ever worked at Mullards in Blackburn?
Found out that Geoff Kenyon and one of the others has passed away. Dont know the other yet but I shall check up.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:52   #634
Junior Member+

just wanted to say that Melvyn Yates is my dad,and hes still alive and kicking and living up Baxenden,as am I!I too caught the music bug and dj on the radio and in clubs around the country so maybe its hereditary?lol
NorthStar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:57   #635
Junior Member+

Mel is my Dad and I cant wait to see his face when I show him this!!!!My kid brother is a dead ringer for him!Im Brian Yates and our kid is Andrew,and my Dad is still up Bash,as am I!
NorthStar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:06   #636
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just watching that Taggy kept waiting for hendy to stick his finger in his ear like the old days
Sad to report that Hendy passed away a few days ago, he had been back in the UK (Darwen) for treatment & all seemed to be going well too. His Funeral is next Thursday at 3pm at Pleasington Crematorium & then on to the ICI club after in Darwen.

RIP Hendy another one gone far too early!

Best regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:13   #637
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Sad to report that Hendy passed away a few days ago, he had been back in the UK (Darwen) for treatment & all seemed to be going well too. His Funeral is next Thursday at 3pm at Pleasington Crematorium & then on to the ICI club after in Darwen.

Best regards - Taggy
That's really sad news Taggy, as you say gone far too early, was a great vocalist, RIP
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:18   #638
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Best regards - Taggy
Very sorry to hear the news R.I.P. Hendy.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01   #639
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

VIDEO: Tributes to Blackburn singer who had hits in seven countries (From Lancashire Telegraph) Just found this.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15   #640
Resting in Peace

Cheers for that cashy, Hendy was a great vocalist, I first saw him fronting a band called Dingle Grumph, at the Spinning Jenney, he's the only singer I've heard in local bands who could sing Child In Time, its was a Deep Purple number and Hendy matched Gillan all the way, think he once fancied a shot at Atomic Rooster, but never heard what happened
Old 04-04-2013, 16:20   #641
Senior Member+

Good Link that Cashy, Hendy's first band was called Dream Factory & then he went on to form a couple of others, most notably Shabby Tiger. More recently in Benidorm he was in an Eagles Tribute as well as still doing his Comedy/Vocal show under the name Cheroot.

I went to his Funeral today & there was a great turn out for him & not everyone could get into the Crematorium. There were even some who had flown over from Benidorm too.

Best regards - Taggy
Old 04-04-2013, 17:24   #642
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Good Link that Cashy, Hendy's first band was called Dream Factory & then he went on to form a couple of others, most notably Shabby Tiger. More recently in Benidorm he was in an Eagles Tribute as well as still doing his Comedy/Vocal show under the name Cheroot.

I went to his Funeral today & there was a great turn out for him & not everyone could get into the Crematorium. There were even some who had flown over from Benidorm too.

Best regards - Taggy
Sounds like he had a good send of Taggy, think if I'd have been fit enough I'd have gone myself, gone before his time
Old 04-04-2013, 17:39   #643
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sounds like he had a good send of Taggy, think if I'd have been fit enough I'd have gone myself, gone before his time
Yes he did Jaysay & your right gone way before his time should have been. He was a unique guy, very talented & with a superb wit & wicked sense of humour. Will be very badly missed, but has left some indelible memories to all that knew him.

Best regards - Taggy
cashman likes this.
Old 17-04-2013, 19:27   #644
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cheers for that cashy, Hendy was a great vocalist, I first saw him fronting a band called Dingle Grumph, at the Spinning Jenney, he's the only singer I've heard in local bands who could sing Child In Time, its was a Deep Purple number and Hendy matched Gillan all the way, think he once fancied a shot at Atomic Rooster, but never heard what happened
Hi Jaysay....I was wondering is there anything more that you can remember about that first band of Hendys in Accy (Dingle Grumph). I've just heard from Fiona, Hendy's wife & she said his Sister has been in touch saying that something was posted on the Telegraph site mentioning them, but she didn't know much about them. Any info or recollections you have that I could pass on would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Best regards - Taggy
Old 18-04-2013, 08:54   #645
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hi Jaysay....I was wondering is there anything more that you can remember about that first band of Hendys in Accy (Dingle Grumph). I've just heard from Fiona, Hendy's wife & she said his Sister has been in touch saying that something was posted on the Telegraph site mentioning them, but she didn't know much about them. Any info or recollections you have that I could pass on would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Best regards - Taggy
The only thing I can remember was going to see them every Friday night, one of my mates worked with Hendy, can't remember where, could have been Universal Leather Goods in Blackburn, maybe. I just remember that Dingle Grumph were one of the best local bands I'd ever seen, and Hendy was probably on a par with some of the greats off that age, his voice range was tremendous, they were heavy rock and very good at it too. Apart from that I don't really know much about them haven't a clue about who the other band members were or how many, 3 or maybe 4 but not sure. Just Googled it only 7 items appeared none relating to the group, Sorry can't be of more help Taggy
Taggy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..