Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51   #691

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Nearly sure there was a big bloke played with them called Dave, can't think of his last name, but he used to work in a trade hardware store on a street which ran between Sandy Lane and Plantation Street, can't remember the street name or the store,
Dave Tomlinson.
putsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50   #692
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by putsinker View Post
Dave Tomlinson.
Wasn't the store R.M.Willaims ?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:44   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Wasn't the store R.M.Willaims ?
R M Williams yeh
Old 07-09-2014, 12:59   #694

Oh WoW, I've just read this post from the beginning,, I've laughed and cried so many times, I know many of the names of these culprits, I think I might even be a distant relative of one of them.
I started out with Treadwheels, then I played with The Senators from Arrod, then The Mustangs from Darren, The Dolphins from Burnley (We pinched it from The Holly's when they changed their name) Then we got the residency at The Dolphin Club in Colne, which was held previously by The Holly's. Wow my brain hurts, after that I played with a comedy show band from Freckleton, Mynzapint. I now do an occasional gig solo doing all my own comedy material.

Just before I left Thailand I did a spot for Peter Bowden of Bowden's pies Accrington. He has a restaurant/Bar in Nong Khai North Thailand. Anyone see Roy Taylor, give him my best. I will be speaking with Wammy on Facebook shortly, wait till I tell him about all this,if he doesn't already know.
Old 07-09-2014, 14:06   #695
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have been trying to catch Roy fer awhile now, will give him yer best if i collar him,
Old 13-02-2015, 09:36   #696
Junior Member+

Jon Anderson & The Warriors 1960s

Jon Anderson &The Warriors beat group, remember them in the 1960s?
David Watkinson author of Yes: Perpetual Change and organiser of the Accrington Yes / Jon Anderson exhibition some 10 years ago is looking for help with memories, photos and memorabilia of the band from that time. They played around Lancashire, London and even Germany.
The Warriors were a popular band at the time and are now remembered for producing the international rock band Yes front man Jon Anderson. Jon has had hits both with his solo work, Yes and Vangelis. David a former Boltonian is gathering information for a new book project.
If you feel you may have anything to help, you can contact David by email :-
[email protected]
daveyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:00   #697

Anybody remember "Lennie Herbert" and his Group? Lennie used to Play "Bass" (old wooden tea-chest with a pole and string)!!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Formerlly Belfield Rd.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 11:44   #698

Roy Taylor now lives in Mellor Brook, wife was talking to him in Blackburn earlier this week
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:14   #699
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Anybody remember "Lennie Herbert" and his Group? Lennie used to Play "Bass" (old wooden tea-chest with a pole and string)!!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Formerlly Belfield Rd.
Seem to recall Lennie was a member on here, Think he also used to have summat to do wi the music at the Pop club? Pete Hibbert was singer for Lennie @ Teenbeats, Pete sadly died about 4 years ago. its somewhere on this thread if yeh look back.

Last edited by cashman; 14-02-2015 at 12:18.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 14:13   #700
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol1944 View Post
Quite often look through this thread.
Nobody has mentioned "the rockets"!!
Is it my memory playing tricks on me?
Seem to remember them as a superb group that played at the Empire in Ossy when I was about 16 so say around 1960
Thanks for the interest .Would like to put things correct re 'The Rockets'
Members myself Gordon Holmes (Guitar).JK Groves known as Jack.(Guitar Vocals) Frank Isherwood Tea chest Bass,, Melvyn Mann guitar .Jeff Smith Guitar Vocals. Derek Smith Drums.Jack Haworth Main Vocals .. Yes we played at All Three picture places in ossy We had many guest Vocalist ..Lionel Morton ( Pre.4 Pennies fame) (we would pay his bus fare from Blackburn ) Jim Crawshaw ( Remember the Blue Spridget).awaiting more memory to fill in any more info..
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 14:17   #701
Junior Member+

Will be filling in more info Re NosmoKings ( The Nosmos) at a later date when I can confirm with Dave Tomlinson.... also Mark Day and the Knights (With Jay Turner)
Old 12-03-2015, 15:05   #702
Junior Member+

Re 'The Rockets' line up I forgot to mention Bob Kirkham Washboard when we were originally skiffle..
Old 12-03-2015, 17:23   #703
God Member

I was Jack Groves' 'childhood sweetheart' until we went to different schools at age 11.
We lived on Hornby St and he used to serenade me by yodelling country and western songs as we sat under their privet hedge ('Roll along covered wagon roll along')
When we played cowboys and indians he was Roy Rodgers and I was Dale Evans.

I recall the very early days of the Rockets when they were skiffle, and I have mentioned them in other threads here.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 00:54   #704
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Any line up names, for Nosmo Kings, now theres one group Ive never heard of.
The line-up for the NosmoKings later to be the Nosmos.was...
Gordon Holmes Bass ( Me)..Dave Tomlinson Lead Guitar ..Alan Bradshaw Drums. Jay(James) Turner Vocals. just to correct they did not become the Jay turner 4 After..James left the group to go to London to sing with the Black & White Minstrals..The group then folded
Old 13-03-2015, 01:02   #705
Junior Member+

Smile Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Any line up names, for Nosmo Kings, now theres one group Ive never heard of.
The Line-up Gordon Holmes (me) Bass..Dave Tomlinson Lead Guitar..Alan Bradshaw Drums. Jay (James) Turner Vocals. Would like to hear from anyone who heard us etc.... gordy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..