Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2015, 08:37   #706
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

I heard em, cant recall were though twas many moons ago, Nosmo kings was a play on No Smoking i was told?
Old 13-03-2015, 08:42   #707
Senior Member+

I was told the same with that one Cashy.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 23:17   #708
Junior Member+

I am trying to remember all the groups around the 60s, that I have not already mentioned before
Not in any order, Blue Diamonds. Wenders Way. Blue Condition, Happy Medium. Hobos. The Partners. Hi_Fi's Royston Jones. and theirs more to come when I get my thinking cap on... Your right about Nosmokings it was our group ( Me bass, Dave Tom Tomlinson Guitar ,Alan Bradshaw Drums & Jim Turner Vocals. but I can't remember who decided on the name ..I am still trying to get used to the webb and hopefully to be able to put on some photos at a later date when I find out how to do it.I have one of the first meeting of the accy rockers don't know if lennie put this one on, but one more time wont harm...

Last edited by gordy; 18-03-2015 at 23:26.
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:11   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Anybody remember "Lennie Herbert" and his Group? Lennie used to Play "Bass" (old wooden tea-chest with a pole and string)!!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Formerlly Belfield Rd.
The band was called Blue Diamonds. They played skiffle in the local WMCs
Roy Jones, Harry Boyer were other members. Pete Hibbert was the singer.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:43   #710
Mog

I saw Nosmokings up springhill youth club in the very early sixties. If I can remember right.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 08:42   #711
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I saw Nosmokings up springhill youth club in the very early sixties. If I can remember right.
That was probably were i saw em?,had forgot about Spring Hill, its a begger this getting old.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00   #712
Junior Member+

Hi there I am working on a project re The Warriors and would like to chat to you. Can you email me please and ill get back to you straight away. Hope we can talk soon.

Regards

David
[email protected]
daveyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 21:46   #713

Hi All. Haven't been on here for a while, but thought I would do an update on the Soundcasters. We are now back on the road and doing a 50th Anniversary 'Tour' of Acci. Pop Club, Brooks, Platts, Sydney St., Bash Con, Stanhill, plus a couple of pubs, Victoria and Bay Horse in Baxenden. The 'Tour' starts at Acci Carnival on Sat. 13th June. We now have a very settled line up including new band members, most of whom you will know as they played in Acci sixties groups. Check it all out on our new website Soundcasters - About Soundcasters
Hope to see some of you around if you can make it. All for now Tony
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:36   #714

Well I never, just stumbled upon this, The Dappers used to park their van in Oswald street when I were a lad and I used to babysit for George Stalker on Spencer street who was one half of the James Boys. Never heard either band play right enough as I was far too young :-)
camillitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:56   #715
Senior Member+

Anybody remember the group the black cats

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 15:23   #716
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

When were they around mate? can't recall that name.
Old 10-08-2015, 15:28   #717
Senior Member+

Late 50s into the sixties Johnny whizz played a black burns..

Old 10-08-2015, 15:33   #718
Senior Member+

John was..is polish his mum..dad had the upholstery shop close to the spread eagle

Old 24-08-2015, 12:11   #719
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyesman View Post
Hi there I am working on a project re The Warriors and would like to chat to you. Can you email me please and ill get back to you straight away. Hope we can talk soon.

Regards

David
[email protected]
I remember The Warriors rehearsing on Saturday mornings for a while in the old church hall at St Augustine's on Bolton Avenue in Huncoat. This would be when I was aged about 12 or 13 in 1964 ish.
cashman likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 10:27   #720
God Member

I recall the Saturday morning rehearsals in St. Augustine's too, Choirboy.
By the way, in my other post I suggested The Warriors van was a Commer but I believe it was actually an old Bedford, like the one here. Was it painted orange, or is that another mis-remembered detail?
The Andersons lived opposite my grandparents, on the corner of Norfolk and Turkey Streets, and I certainly recall the excitement, at least amongst some of us early teens, when they appeared on Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedford van.jpg (11.5 KB, 17 views)
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..