Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2009, 16:03   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

good heads up that beejay,cheers, although don't think they were local can remember seeing "nero @ Gladiators" god knows where?.
Old 26-02-2009, 16:17   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
No I dont think Nosmo Kings where pre Jay Turner Four. The only connection as I can remember may have been Noel Smith (drummer with the Jay Turner Four) whom I think at one time did play for the Nosmo Kings. The Nosmo Kings if I remember correctly where managed for most of the time by Lennie Herbert from Great Harwood, who regular had them on at the Mercer Hall and can remember them supporting a Lennie Herbert promotion with headliners Nero & The Gladiators. Also the lead singer with the Nosmos(for a long number of years was very pally with the jay Turner Four and I think he did one or two guest spots, so I can see where there maybe a little confusion.

The Vidors became the Dynamites, The Dynamites became the Jay Turner Four, The Jay Turner Four became the James Turner Four and the James Turner Four became Second Time Around. This band spanned (the band spanned over 20 plus years with varying members) but the long term main players where: Gerard Navin (lead) John Tillotson (Bass) Ronnie Green (Rhythm & Vocals) Noel Smith (Drums) Vocalist: The late James Turner, The late Billy Kerr. also: John Turner Drums

Beejay (Agent/Manager)
The guy I'm thinking of who was lead vocals and brilliant with Nosmo's was Pete Hibbert and the group which where pre Nosmos was Mark Day & The Nights managed by Lennie Herbert.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 16:32   #123

Also if your interested click on this site (or paste into browser) and it should show a old photo of the Soundcasters, plus other stuff if you look for it on the tabs eg: Rev Black & Rockin Vicars, The Swinging Hangmen from Haslingden plus plus plus Accrington Arts, Con Club etc... Do you remember the Cavern on Milnshaw Lane? was run with a ex Bolton Wanderers Footballer, remember John Lee Hooker here plus loads of other bluesy type acts. The Swinging Hangmen appeared here once or twice. Country Gents always on at the Accy Con..

The Soundcasters on Manchesterbeat - the group and music scene of Manchester in the 60's
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:34   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
No I dont think Nosmo Kings where pre Jay Turner Four. The only connection as I can remember may have been Noel Smith (drummer with the Jay Turner Four) whom I think at one time did play for the Nosmo Kings. The Nosmo Kings if I remember correctly where managed for most of the time by Lennie Herbert from Great Harwood, who regular had them on at the Mercer Hall and can remember them supporting a Lennie Herbert promotion with headliners Nero & The Gladiators. Also the lead singer with the Nosmos(for a long number of years was very pally with the jay Turner Four and I think he did one or two guest spots, so I can see where there maybe a little confusion.

The Vidors became the Dynamites, The Dynamites became the Jay Turner Four, The Jay Turner Four became the James Turner Four and the James Turner Four became Second Time Around. This band spanned (the band spanned over 20 plus years with varying members) but the long term main players where: Gerard Navin (lead) John Tillotson (Bass) Ronnie Green (Rhythm & Vocals) Noel Smith (Drums) Vocalist: The late James Turner, The late Billy Kerr. also: John Turner Drums

Beejay (Agent/Manager)
I think Lennie Herbert was also a singer with Lennie and the Teen Beats, but not sure, the last I heard Lennie was con sec a the Pop Club and still lives in Ossy
Old 28-02-2009, 19:53   #125
Junior Member+

Lots of good nights at Con club so Lionel Morton 4 later to become The four pennies i think they had a big hit with Juliet.
miners boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 00:23   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miners boy View Post
Lots of good nights at Con club so Lionel Morton 4 later to become The four pennies i think they had a big hit with Juliet.
they actually had 6 chart hits, Juliet being there only No1. two more top 20, other3 top 50.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they actually had 6 chart hits, Juliet being there only No1. two more top 20, other3 top 50.
Think one of their other top 20 hits was Black Girl, which would have had far more connertations today with that title
Old 01-03-2009, 13:37   #128
Senior Member+

The Four Pennies were still going strong here in the South-West until fairly recently. The only original member was Mike Wilsh who composed Juliet. I booked them for a couple of concerts at the school where I worked.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 13:38   #129
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think one of their other top 20 hits was Black Girl, which would have had far more connertations today with that title
correct n another was "I Found Out The Hard Way" which will have connertations to a certain young student someday i reckon.
Old 01-03-2009, 21:52   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
correct n another was "I Found Out The Hard Way" which will have connertations to a certain young student someday i reckon.
First release as I remember was Do You Want Me To,I may be wrong but I doubt it.
Never made it big but did chart.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 22:49   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
First release as I remember was Do You Want Me To,I may be wrong but I doubt it.
Never made it big but did chart.
correct it charted twice jan64 n feb 64 both times 1 week only.
Old 03-03-2009, 19:54   #132
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think Lennie Herbert was also a singer with Lennie and the Teen Beats, but not sure, the last I heard Lennie was con sec a the Pop Club and still lives in Ossy
Was Lennie also a drummer and i think he worked at English Electric
miners boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by miners boy View Post
Was Lennie also a drummer and i think he worked at English Electric
Can't remember him playing the drums MB may have done, didn't know where he worked
Old 17-03-2009, 19:18   #134
Full Member+

I believe Lennie Herbert worked as a progress chaser at English Electric. Was certainly there during the 1960/70's. He was also a Special Constable in Accrington for a good many years. Nice chap.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 22:43   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I believe Lennie Herbert worked as a progress chaser at English Electric. Was certainly there during the 1960/70's. He was also a Special Constable in Accrington for a good many years. Nice chap.
not sure about the "Special" i was never arrested by a part-timer.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..