Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 19:15   #271

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This thread is very popular now and is great to return to yesteryear. In fact I was think about the old days last night and I remembered a band I followed quite a lot in the mid 70s but couldn't for the life in me remember the name, the Lead singer was Joe Murphy from Darwen (the last time I saw him he was performing solo under Joel David) the bass guitar was Ian Mitchell from Ossy and the Drummer Steve Owen from Accy, I think, can't remember the name of the other member, any ideas chaps. I know they had a brilliant PA system with four slim towers and a mixer unite, was the first I'd seen made by Sure, I used their mikes after getting fed up with the ribbons keep going kaput on the Rezzlo (might not be spelt right,) but the PA system was ace
Hiya Jaysay, a band I remember called "Gold"was Steve Owen[drums&vocals] Ian Mitchell[bass&vocals]&Rod Hill[guitar],this was the band Rod played in after leaving" Midnight Hour"-which I was his replacement in.I also played with Ian[he lives in France now]for a while in a band called "Reminder". All the best Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16   #272
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good man, about time, get one of them "Hells Grandad" carts n jobs a good un, me best mate got one a couple of years ago, took him about 6 months before he would go out wi it, same reasons as you probably, now he says its best thing he ever did, lives near you, ya can form yer own chapter. Just thought "Ossys Angels" sounds dead cool.
My only trouble is I need a wheel man cashy or woman and fine weather
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21   #273
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Jaysay, a band I remember called "Gold"was Steve Owen[drums&vocals] Ian Mitchell[bass&vocals]&Rod Hill[guitar],this was the band Rod played in after leaving" Midnight Hour"-which I was his replacement in.I also played with Ian[he lives in France now]for a while in a band called "Reminder". All the best Trev.
Gold doesn't ring a bell Trev, A mate of mine, who I used to knock about with will know the name, his sister lives near me, the next time he calls round I'll try and catch him. Didn't know Ian Mitchell had gone to France, his wife had a dog grooming business in Ossy for ages and is brother has a carpet shop in Ossy too
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12   #274
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good man, about time, get one of them "Hells Grandad" carts n jobs a good un, me best mate got one a couple of years ago, took him about 6 months before he would go out wi it, same reasons as you probably, now he says its best thing he ever did, lives near you, ya can form yer own chapter. Just thought "Ossys Angels" sounds dead cool.
Believe me, Jaysay, if Cashy's best pal can, then you can. This guy is Mr Rock 'n' Roll, the epitome of cool. Nearly went out and bought one myself, when Cashy told me he was using one!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10   #275
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Believe me, Jaysay, if Cashy's best pal can, then you can. This guy is Mr Rock 'n' Roll, the epitome of cool. Nearly went out and bought one myself, when Cashy told me he was using one!
Blimey that cant be Jacko then?? Cool is not a word i'd have used for him Wynonie!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:56   #276
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Blimey that cant be Jacko then?? Cool is not a word i'd have used for him Wynonie!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy, I'll tell you something about Jacko that I always remember. One day around 1970, I was sat in the Derby with the usual suspects - Isaac, Florrie, Vito etc. We were all dressed in the uniform of the time - long hair, combat jackets, T-shirts, faded jeans, sneakers. Suddenly, Jacko strolls in with his hair perfectly sculpted into an Elvis 1956 quiff, a light grey velvet-collared drape, black trousers and black shirt. He buys himself a pint, plonks himself down amongst us and asks if anybody's any objections to his clobber. For the first time ever I saw Isaac go quiet. Made a big impression on me and made me realise that you should be true to yourself instead of just following the crowd - a principle I've stuck to ever since. So that why, as far as I'm concerned, Jacko is Accy's Mr Rock 'n' Roll!

Apologies for thread wander.
Old 07-08-2010, 20:07   #277
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Taggy, I'll tell you something about Jacko that I always remember. One day around 1970, I was sat in the Derby with the usual suspects - Isaac, Florrie, Vito etc. We were all dressed in the uniform of the time - long hair, combat jackets, T-shirts, faded jeans, sneakers. Suddenly, Jacko strolls in with his hair perfectly sculpted into an Elvis 1956 quiff, a light grey velvet-collared drape, black trousers and black shirt. He buys himself a pint, plonks himself down amongst us and asks if anybody's any objections to his clobber. For the first time ever I saw Isaac go quiet. Made a big impression on me and made me realise that you should be true to yourself instead of just following the crowd - a principle I've stuck to ever since. So that why, as far as I'm concerned, Jacko is Accy's Mr Rock 'n' Roll!

Apologies for thread wander.
Me n Cashy were talking about him last week...obviously Cashy knows him much better than me, but
i had to do a double-take when i saw Jacko on his scooter a few weeks back, i wasn't sure it was him at first, he looked quite frail...which is not how most will remember him! I always found Jacko alright to talk to tbh, but you always knew as soon as you saw him what mood he was in, and there were times it was best not to make eye contact!!...he was "Handy"!!...Never saw him in drapes, but this was later on, and i used to see him in The Imperial, usually Jean Jackets then!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:19   #278
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Me n Cashy were talking about him last week...obviously Cashy knows him much better than me, but
i had to do a double-take when i saw Jacko on his scooter a few weeks back, i wasn't sure it was him at first, he looked quite frail...which is not how most will remember him! I always found Jacko alright to talk to tbh, but you always knew as soon as you saw him what mood he was in, and there were times it was best not to make eye contact!!...he was "Handy"!!...Never saw him in drapes, but this was later on, and i used to see him in The Imperial, usually Jean Jackets then!

Best Regards - Taggy
"Frail" is not a term I would associate with Jacko, but I haven't seen him for around 35 years. Always got on OK with him, right from primary school but, then again, I know when to keep me gob shut. Cashy has a whole fund of stories about him, most of which can't be retold on a family forum. Ask him next time you bump into him.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30   #279

Quote:
Gold doesn't ring a bell Trev, A mate of mine, who I used to knock about with will know the name, his sister lives near me, the next time he calls round I'll try and catch him. Didn't know Ian Mitchell had gone to France, his wife had a dog grooming business in Ossy for ages and is brother has a carpet shop in Ossy too
Hiya Jaysay, Yeh I'm not sure how long "Gold"were together, might not have been very long. Trev.
Old 09-08-2010, 18:06   #280
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hiya Jaysay, Yeh I'm not sure how long "Gold"were together, might not have been very long. Trev.
Did you never come across Joe Murphy was a billiant singer did loads of Franky Valley stuff
Old 09-08-2010, 19:46   #281

Quote:
Did you never come across Joe Murphy was a billiant singer did loads of Franky Valley stuff
Hiya Jaysay, I seem to remember whatching him in a band in the Regent pub on Penny St.age's ago,I can't think of the name of the band though!.He used to pop up as an "extra"in the back-ground in the "Rover's Return"on Coronation Street.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:21   #282
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hiya Jaysay, I seem to remember whatching him in a band in the Regent pub on Penny St.age's ago,I can't think of the name of the band though!.He used to pop up as an "extra"in the back-ground in the "Rover's Return"on Coronation Street.
Thats Joe Trev, did you go to the regent for Jam night on Mondays at the Regent in the 70s, was a real blast, I was a regular every Monday for ages
Old 10-08-2010, 16:28   #283

Quote:
Thats Joe Trev, did you go to the regent for Jam night on Mondays at the Regent in the 70s, was a real blast, I was a regular every Monday for ages
Hiya Jaysay, Yeh I was there too! never got up to play though,do you remember "Forever"they were the resident band on a Monday night,I thought they were pretty good,Sean was the guitarist\singer I used -to give him a lift home to Accy,saw him recently he's not playing as much now. Trev.
Old 10-08-2010, 17:46   #284
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hiya Jaysay, Yeh I was there too! never got up to play though,do you remember "Forever"they were the resident band on a Monday night,I thought they were pretty good,Sean was the guitarist\singer I used -to give him a lift home to Accy,saw him recently he's not playing as much now. Trev.
Ya remember the name Trev, only ever saw them in the regent though
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04   #285

The Scorchers.Ray Parsons, Dave Robinson, Ian Smith, me, Trevor Gardener.I think I was still at school!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Scorchers1.jpg (119.2 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by james; 11-08-2010 at 09:14.
james is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..