Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2010, 11:05   #331

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Is it tonight the "gig" at Bash Con. Do you have to be a Member to get in there?
Hi Atarah. Yhs the Bash Con gig is tonight. You don't need to be a member, everyones welcome free entry, just sup a bit of beer and they're happy. tony
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2010, 11:22   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Dublomad,I can't remember if The Scorchers or The Gids ever played at Nelson Imp and neither Trevor nor myself can remember when we split up.I do know that in 1968/69 I was playing in a few bands from Burnley like The Atlantics, Kudos, The Reflections etc trying to make some extra money.I played at Nelson Imp many times with some of those bands, which in some cases only lasted a few months.There were loads of us, So on and So Forth, Ways N' Means, The Uptown Go Go Band, The Raging Storms, supporting The Troggs, Manfred Man, Love Affair, Robert Plant's Band of Joy (the first time I saw John Bonham), and a few more.I've attached a photo of The Atlantics.The guy 2 nd from the left (Pete Sowrey) actually played with Accrington Stanley for a very short time.We also played at Manchester University a lot, it was great money, getting £30 for supporting Chicken Shack wasn't bad in 1969, we also supported The Who there a few weeks later for the same money.As you can see from the ad, you could see Pink Floyd or The Who and many more for 7/6d! Hope that helps,James.
Hi James. Can't say we ever played with the Atlantics, but we certainly played with Kudos and Ways and Means and ran into So On and So Forth quite a few times. We had some good nights at Nelson Imp, played with Ike and Tina and three very tantalizing Ikettes, Hollies, Status Quo, and Walker Brothers. Ther were one or two others that were fringe bands, which I can't remember, and on the 8th June 1968 we actually headlined - think they must have been short of groups. Tony
Old 14-08-2010, 11:28   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
I think we were support band for The Yardbirds at Nelson Imp,it seems to ring a bell it's a long time ago "init" !! Trev.
Hi trev. Yep, it is a long time ago. Has anyone got the book 'Goin' Down to Th'imp' by Steve Chapples from Burnley? Apart from giving a history of the Imp, there is a full record of who played there from '57 to '69. Good reading and lots of names you will remember as well as some good old photos. Tony
Old 14-08-2010, 11:53   #334

Hello Tony,Yes, I have it. A guy called Geoff Wills, who used to play drums with Kris Ryan & the Questions told me about it.There's another great book called "It Happened in Manchester", which has hundreds of names of bands who played there from 1958-1965.Even The Scorchers are in there! James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg It Happened in Manchester.jpg (347.2 KB, 35 views)
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 12:20   #335

This site wouldn't be complete without a picture of "Whammy", so here he is.The photo was taken at The Watermill Theatre in Bagnor, a hamlet near Newbury, one pub, no shops, the bus came once a week, seriously isolated.We lived/rehearsed there for about 5 months.He was playing with Accrington Stanley at the time.I think this band must hold some kind of record for having the most guitarists in the shortest time.The band only lasted 6/7 months, and yet, we had on lead guitar (not all at once) , Trevor Gardener, Rod Hill, Whammy,John Hedley (from Brian Davidsons band, ex The Nice), and finally Roger Mckew (ex Bonzo Dog ).I think that there were only two of us left eventually, Dave Foster, and me.Whammy also sent me a copy of his "new" album which you can also see.Most people in/around Accy will remember Dave.On the Accy Stan photo, left to right, Rod Hill, Jim Payne, Brian Johnstone, Dave Foster, and Whammy.Cheers, James
Old 14-08-2010, 12:27   #336

Accrington Stanley and Whammy's album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington Stanley at the Watermill Theatre.jpg (313.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Wammy Album.jpg (306.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 15-08-2010, 08:01   #337
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Had a great night last night, the group was very good, met Dublomad n Shadow Trev, 2 top geezers, bash con was packed, glad we landed early n got good seats. didn't remember the lads though, its been a long time since "Accy Con"
Old 15-08-2010, 11:40   #338
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I would just like to add, Paris has just returned to bed, wi a monster hangover, still under the impression she could sup what she could 40 yrs ago. suppose its worth it, still banging on about what a good night it was.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:52   #339
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Had a great night last night, the group was very good, met Dublomad n Shadow Trev, 2 top geezers, bash con was packed, glad we landed early n got good seats. didn't remember the lads though, its been a long time since "Accy Con"
Glad it was a good night Cashy...was sad not to be able to get there, but i've got me lad wi me this weekend!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 13:01   #340

Yeh! Cashy's right, top night at Bash con, Tony& the boy's did well! love the Eagles tunes, good hamonies lads!! Good to put faces to people you'ved talked to but never met in person. Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 14:56   #341

Quote:
I would just like to add, Paris has just returned to bed, wi a monster hangover, still under the impression she could sup what she could 40 yrs ago. suppose its worth it, still banging on about what a good night it was.
Hiya Cashy, good to meet at last, Thought missus eyes looked a bit glazed last night! Hope she's feeling better. Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 23:05   #342

Quote:
Hi Cashy. Really good to see you and Paris? on Saturday, glad to know you enjoyed it. Sorry I was still playing when you left and didn't get chance to see you off. hope the better half is OK now. It was a late night, 3.ooam by the time we got home - knackered. Hope we can get together again some time in the future, thanks for comin', enjoyed it. Cheers Tony.
Old 15-08-2010, 23:17   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Yeh! Cashy's right, top night at Bash con, Tony& the boy's did well! love the Eagles tunes, good hamonies lads!! Good to put faces to people you'ved talked to but never met in person. Trev.
Hi Trev.Good to chat about the old days last night, glad you enjoyed it, and like you said, good to put a face to a name, even though we have met numerous times in the past, 45 years past!!! We know the harmonies aren't too bad, just need to keep plugging away on the guitar and the senoir moments. Surprise of the night was the original poster you gave me from the Con which was in good nick for 44 years old - thanks Trev. All the best Tony, let me know if your doing anything band -wise.
Old 15-08-2010, 23:22   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Glad it was a good night Cashy...was sad not to be able to get there, but i've got me lad wi me this weekend!

Best Regards - Taggy
Sorry you didn't make it taggy, you missed a good night, it would have been nice to put a third face to a name. Next time maybe. Cheers Tony
Old 16-08-2010, 07:54   #345
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Sorry you didn't make it taggy, you missed a good night, it would have been nice to put a third face to a name. Next time maybe. Cheers Tony
Yeah hopefully i will be able to make the next one Tony, i usually have the lad over every other weekend, he's in a Wheelchair, and i'm not usually out at nights then!...Sounds like everyone had a great time!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..