Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2010, 18:09   #346

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeah hopefully i will be able to make the next one Tony, i usually have the lad over every other weekend, he's in a Wheelchair, and i'm not usually out at nights then!...Sounds like everyone had a great time!

Best Regards - Taggy
Sorry to hear about your son Taggy, perhaps you can tell me about it sometime. I'll keep you posted on the next local gig. All the best. Tony
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2010, 18:10   #347
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Sorry to hear about your son Taggy, perhaps you can tell me about it sometime. I'll keep you posted on the next local gig. All the best. Tony
Cheers Tony, will look forward to that!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:59   #348
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Hi Cashy. Really good to see you and Paris? on Saturday, glad to know you enjoyed it. Sorry I was still playing when you left and didn't get chance to see you off. hope the better half is OK now. It was a late night, 3.ooam by the time we got home - knackered. Hope we can get together again some time in the future, thanks for comin', enjoyed it. Cheers Tony.
oh shes fine now ta, was well out o the game at midnight so had to be a taxi. let us know if yer have another local gig.
Old 16-08-2010, 21:25   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
oh shes fine now ta, was well out o the game at midnight so had to be a taxi. let us know if yer have another local gig.
Good to know the boss has recovered, hope she enjoyed what she can remember. Good to meet you both, will let you know when the next one is and we can meet up again Cheers Tony.
Old 17-08-2010, 20:19   #350

Hi Jim. As you've probably seen, I met Trevor on Saturday night for the first time in 40 odd years, it was good to share some memories. I thought you were perhaps the only Scorcher I would have recognised but when I met Trevor, I think I would have recognised him in the street. I enjoyed the Accrington Stanley photo, as I met Rod when I was about 12 and I used to watch the Warriors practice every week without fail, think that's how I got the bug! I've also seen Whammy (or is it Wammy?) more than few times. The last time I met him in England was at the Dunkenhalgh around '89/90, when I was with Kyte and we were on the same bill together. I have run into him in Spain, but never got to chat with him as we were on our way somewhere and he hadn't finished his set. I'm off to Spain on Sunday and we usually have a night in Benidorm, don't suppose you know which bar he plays in do you? Cheers Tony
Old 18-08-2010, 09:05   #351
Resting in Peace

Did any of you lads ever come across an Organist Called Steve Tatton, from Blackburn, never saw him myself but from what I'ver heard he was brilliant, I met Steve in the late 80s as our paths crossed on many occasions in Hospital, he suffered very badly with brittle asthma, sadly Steve is no longer with us, he died about 12 years ago, but he was a top rate guy
Old 18-08-2010, 09:16   #352

Hello Tony.Sounds like you all had a good time on Sat, not to mention a few beers.Trevor Gardener really enjoyed himself.Glad you like the Accrington Stanley photo.Dave Foster was the "Warrior" that I knew best, we grew up together as kids,we actually lived next door to each other in Downham Drive, Fern Gore.I knew all the family, Carol, Dave and Michael.They were a bit older than me.I played with them once when they were between drummers,before they got Ian Wallace, in a bingo hall in Church.I was 14 years old, Dave was 17 and John was 19, bit of an age difference! But as we all got older it didn't seem to matter too much.You should find Wammy playing five nights a week at "The Rock Palace", it's on the front.There are a few ads around as well, I'm sure you'll find him! I've attached a couple of photos' when we were living at The Watermill Theatre, one of me and Dave Foster, and one of Wammy (it is Wammy, it's me , I keep spelling it wrong), on their way to a rehearsal which was 2 minutes walk! Hope you have a good time, and give Dave a big hug for me.I haven't seen him for nearly 40 years.Best wishes,Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and Dave Foster.jpg (340.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg wammy dave cottage.jpg (170.1 KB, 62 views)
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:28   #353
Super Moderator

Jim, I don't know about the technicalities of this, but could you not post a sound file or something of "Days of Men and Women" on here, so people can hear what Accrington Stanley sounded like? On the evidence of this track, it's my view that if they'd carried on, they could've been up there with Yes, Genesis etc as one of the top bands of the early 70's.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:29   #354
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hi Jim. As you've probably seen, I met Trevor on Saturday night for the first time in 40 odd years, it was good to share some memories. I thought you were perhaps the only Scorcher I would have recognised but when I met Trevor, I think I would have recognised him in the street. I enjoyed the Accrington Stanley photo, as I met Rod when I was about 12 and I used to watch the Warriors practice every week without fail, think that's how I got the bug! I've also seen Whammy (or is it Wammy?) more than few times. The last time I met him in England was at the Dunkenhalgh around '89/90, when I was with Kyte and we were on the same bill together. I have run into him in Spain, but never got to chat with him as we were on our way somewhere and he hadn't finished his set. I'm off to Spain on Sunday and we usually have a night in Benidorm, don't suppose you know which bar he plays in do you? Cheers Tony
Hi Tony......Wammy plays in the Rock and Roll House across from the Melia and Flamingo Oasis Hotels about 3 nights a week, not sure which nights though. He also plays at The Heartbreak Bar on the Levante Beachfront some afternoons. He lives in Altea now. I'm not certain if he's there at the moment as he sometimes takes August off. I'm off to Beni for 2 weeks on the 1st Sept, so should get chance to see him at some point then! I saw him last Sept...he hasn't altered much...well lot more grey hair maybe, but still the same otherwise!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 19:51   #355

Hi Wynonie,Thanks for your comments about the Accy Stan track "Days of Men and Women".I have it on a mini disc, but I'll see if I can convert it into an mp3.As for uploading it onto the site, I'll have to ask a friend for some help.Glad you like it, Cheers,Jim.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:06   #356

Hi Taggy,You're right, Wammy is playing at the Heartbreak Hotel, amongst other places.About seven guys from work go over there about two/three times a year to drink as much vodka and red bull as they can manage in a week! (they're only in their early 30's). It's a miracle that they even found him.They enjoyed his set.Cheers,Jim.
Old 18-08-2010, 21:10   #357
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Wynonie,Thanks for your comments about the Accy Stan track "Days of Men and Women".I have it on a mini disc, but I'll see if I can convert it into an mp3.As for uploading it onto the site, I'll have to ask a friend for some help.Glad you like it, Cheers,Jim.
Hope you can sort it, Jim, I reckon a lot of Accyweb members would be very interested to hear this, the only recorded evidence of Accy's great lost supergroup. If you do manage it, make sure you leave Wammy's succinct comment at the end on, delivered in an industrial-strength Accy accent!
Old 18-08-2010, 21:23   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Did any of you lads ever come across an Organist Called Steve Tatton, from Blackburn, never saw him myself but from what I'ver heard he was brilliant, I met Steve in the late 80s as our paths crossed on many occasions in Hospital, he suffered very badly with brittle asthma, sadly Steve is no longer with us, he died about 12 years ago, but he was a top rate guy
Hiya J, no I've not come across Steve, I'll ask Mr. Grooby if he knew him.Eric's been telling about his spell with Copper Kettle. Trev
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:47   #359
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya J, no I've not come across Steve, I'll ask Mr. Grooby if he knew him.Eric's been telling about his spell with Copper Kettle. Trev
Ask him if he's got any pics of the group Trev, as I remember Eric had really long hair, you might also ask him about a prodigy of his, was called Mick (can't remember his surname even though he jammed with us a bit) he had long read hair, and had and American fender strat, which he bought from Eric, on the case was the name of one of Eric's former groups "Weather" he was only very young when I knew him 17 or 18 but he was a very good guitarist even then, the last time I saw him h was with a big showband at Martholme Grange must have been 12 strong
Old 19-08-2010, 10:48   #360

Hello Trev, I never knew that you played with Andy Russell.You also mentioned a sax player called Dave Clark who you also played with.Is this him, the guy standing 2nd from the left? Why am I wearing a wig? Cheers,Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave Clark.jpg (503.8 KB, 82 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..