Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2010, 14:31   #361
Senior Member+

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Taggy,You're right, Wammy is playing at the Heartbreak Hotel, amongst other places.About seven guys from work go over there about two/three times a year to drink as much vodka and red bull as they can manage in a week! (they're only in their early 30's). It's a miracle that they even found him.They enjoyed his set.Cheers,Jim.
Hiya Jim...Yeah, at the Heartbreak he still has his older Black & White posters up, either with a photo on or just "Wammy" with his details on. Thats his afternoon gigs. They have a couple of Colour Photo's of him...Complete with Drapes n Brothel Creepers.. outside the Rock and Roll House where he plays some nights, he's advertised as Dave "Wam Bam" Walmesley there, but everyone knows him as Wammy! He sometimes does a few Gigs at a bar in Altea, called Kactusalbir i think, but they've cut their acts back a bit as of late, so not certain he still plays there!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2010, 14:44   #362
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Hello Trev, I never knew that you played with Andy Russell.You also mentioned a sax player called Dave Clark who you also played with.Is this him, the guy standing 2nd from the left? Why am I wearing a wig? Cheers,Jim.
The guy 2 nd from the right,looks very much like John Anderson, ex Boris @ Dansaks? not the accy John of Yes etc, would that be him James?
Old 19-08-2010, 14:59   #363
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The guy 2 nd from the right,looks very much like John Anderson, ex Boris @ Dansaks? not the accy John of Yes etc, would that be him James?
That certainly looks like John Anderson to me Cashy, he later used to play with The Pleasers and i think he has a new band now called "Winds Of Change" or something like that, he's a Bass Guitarist isn't he?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 19-08-2010, 15:56   #364
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
That certainly looks like John Anderson to me Cashy, he later used to play with The Pleasers and i think he has a new band now called "Winds Of Change" or something like that, he's a Bass Guitarist isn't he?

Best Regards - Taggy
Yep hes n owd classmate of mine, but aint seen him fer a couple of years now.
Old 19-08-2010, 16:38   #365
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yep hes n owd classmate of mine, but aint seen him fer a couple of years now.
It's about that long since i saw him too, was up at Stanhill WMC. He'd mentioned that new band he had just started with, i've seen the band listed a couple of times doing gigs up at The Brewers in The Entertainer Booklet, but not looked at one of them for a good few months.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 19-08-2010, 18:11   #366
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
It's about that long since i saw him too, was up at Stanhill WMC. He'd mentioned that new band he had just started with, i've seen the band listed a couple of times doing gigs up at The Brewers in The Entertainer Booklet, but not looked at one of them for a good few months.

Best Regards - Taggy
P.M. me if ya know there on local Taggy, have been trying to catch John fer a couple of months now.
Old 19-08-2010, 18:14   #367
Senior Member+

Quote:
P.M. me if ya know there on local Taggy, have been trying to catch John fer a couple of months now.
Will do Cashy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 19-08-2010, 18:42   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Did any of you lads ever come across an Organist Called Steve Tatton, from Blackburn, never saw him myself but from what I'ver heard he was brilliant, I met Steve in the late 80s as our paths crossed on many occasions in Hospital, he suffered very badly with brittle asthma, sadly Steve is no longer with us, he died about 12 years ago, but he was a top rate guy
Hi Jaysay. I knew Steve very well. His mum and dad were Brenda and Alf (Alf also suffered from chest complaints), They used to have a toffee 'n train shop across from King Georges Hall around where Waves is now. Steve used to work in the shop, good bloke, do anything for you. In the 80's he took a shop up 4 lane ends in Blackburn and I rewired the place for him. As for his keyboard skills, he was excellent, nearly persuaded him to play in Kyte with us but his health wasn't really up to it. I was quite close to all the family, but haven't seen Claire and the kids since the funeral, very sad. He used to come and watch us when he was up to it, last time was about '94, when I was in a duo, but after that he went down hill fast. I used to go round to see him before he died, tried to persuade him that he should be doing more music, but he hadn't really got the energy. Rock on Steve!! Tony
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 18:57   #369

Quote:
Hello Tony.Sounds like you all had a good time on Sat, not to mention a few beers.Trevor Gardener really enjoyed himself.Glad you like the Accrington Stanley photo.Dave Foster was the "Warrior" that I knew best, we grew up together as kids,we actually lived next door to each other in Downham Drive, Fern Gore.I knew all the family, Carol, Dave and Michael.They were a bit older than me.I played with them once when they were between drummers,before they got Ian Wallace, in a bingo hall in Church.I was 14 years old, Dave was 17 and John was 19, bit of an age difference! But as we all got older it didn't seem to matter too much.You should find Wammy playing five nights a week at "The Rock Palace", it's on the front.There are a few ads around as well, I'm sure you'll find him! I've attached a couple of photos' when we were living at The Watermill Theatre, one of me and Dave Foster, and one of Wammy (it is Wammy, it's me , I keep spelling it wrong), on their way to a rehearsal which was 2 minutes walk! Hope you have a good time, and give Dave a big hug for me.I haven't seen him for nearly 40 years.Best wishes,Jim.
Hiya Jim. Even more photos, you must have loads - keep em comin'. I envy your time down at the Watermill, sounds like every bands' dream. I first met the Warriors about '58 when I was 8, Jon and Tony's sister used to babysit for me and our kid who was 3 at the time, pity he wasn't a bit older I could have done with his harmonies in the 60's, but when we started at 13/14 he was only 8, pretty inconsiderate of my mum and dad, i thought! Like you say Jim, as you get older the age difference doesn't matter anymore. Anyway thanks for the info on Wammy, I'll see if I can catch up with him. We are south of Alicante, but I've just booked a night in Beni' at the end of August, fingers crossed. All the best Tony.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:11   #370

Quote:
Hello Trev, I never knew that you played with Andy Russell.You also mentioned a sax player called Dave Clark who you also played with.Is this him, the guy standing 2nd from the left? Why am I wearing a wig? Cheers,Jim.
Hiya Jim, yes it's the same Dave, he and Andy were in the 1st. band I went to Germany with,Dave had a great big Jaguar car I think he had a flag on the front of the bonnet, we drove to Germany in Andy's Commer van,where are they now?? p.s. great wig!!! Trev
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 19:24   #371

Quote:
Hiya Cashy, the guy 2nd. from the right is Andy Russell a bassist from Burnley, Jim& I used to play with him but we don't know what he's doing now.Trev.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:27   #372

Hiya T, have you packed your suitcase yet??? Trev
Old 19-08-2010, 19:40   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya J, no I've not come across Steve, I'll ask Mr. Grooby if he knew him.Eric's been telling about his spell with Copper Kettle. Trev
Hi Trev. Haven't packed the suitcase yet, we got a private gig at Blackburn Golf Club on Saturday, wifes staying at home to pack. I was in Eric's today, looking for a monitor ( not the lizard)! Brian said you had been in. We started a band called Tanith in the mid seventies, which was really the start of Kyte, same line up as now but another drummer, and a lead guitarist. We were under L.E. Agency at Wigan, which is when I first met Eric, 'cause Copper Kettle were L.E.'s flagship band. Bloody Good, we saw em a couple of times, but were usualy out ourselves. Small world this isn't it? Hope to see you soon Tony.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:09   #374
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Cashy, the guy 2nd. from the right is Andy Russell a bassist from Burnley, Jim& I used to play with him but we don't know what he's doing now.Trev.
thats a turn up Trev, hes a ringer fer John.
Old 20-08-2010, 07:18   #375
Senior Member+

Quote:
thats a turn up Trev, hes a ringer fer John.
It sure is Cashy...he's the ruddy spit of John Anderson...certainly had us both convinced anyway! I've just looked again, and i'd swear it was him, but obviously not!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..