Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2009, 20:22   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Babyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The only shed type building at the bottom of Warner St, was actualy in Church St, just a bit to the left of the Pals Memorial. Garth Dawson's father had it, thats where Garth had his first photographic business, before moving to Infant St, and then Blackburn Rd.

Retlaw.
By eck , I remember a shed on church street , clean forgot about it. Wolstenholmes on Whalley rd was a really good model shop , spent a lot of time in there and occasionally upstairs at Wardleworths. Good memories.
stanleyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2010, 12:17   #32

Was it Coops? They had two shops together one set back where you bought sweets and then one sticking out which had tobacco stuff and trains etc
lesley speak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Must be my memory playing tricks with me, maybe moulding two memories into one!

Was there not a newsagent type shop down there at some stage?

I'm thinking approx 1958, and that high counter sticks in my mind, coz I thought santa was hiding behind it! , And definitely in my memory at least, the other side of church St
twas Tommy Taylor who had a newsagents hut at the bottom on chuch st
and it was indeed a wooden hut

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 19:37   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaccyman View Post
There was a good toy shop (Could it have been Wolstenholmes? . . Wolstencrofts?) just before the railway bridge on Blackburn Road close to the premises which were to become Accrington's first Chinese restaurant. I think E J Riley's (Little Blackburn Road) sold toys as well as sporting goods. I remember, in the late forties, word used to go around at school (Peel Park) that "So-and-so" have got Dinkies in". If we had any money, money boxes were emptied and we made a bee-line for the appropriate shop after school.
I remember that store, and E J Riley's (think that there was a real good book store just up the road from E J's) ... used to stand in front of the wndow and drool over the Hornby locos ... and I had my first chinese meal in that restaurant .... I think it was my 18th birthday .... threw up after .... not the food, but all the booze I'd packed away in the Australian But, the days of that kind of toy store are gone ... replaced by the Toys R Us bs. The closest thing to a real toy store that we have in Kingston is "Leading Edge Hobbies" ... still lots of model train stuff and model kits.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 19:40   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember that store, and E J Riley's (think that there was a real good book store just up the road from E J's) ... used to stand in front of the wndow and drool over the Hornby locos ... and I had my first chinese meal in that restaurant .... I think it was my 18th birthday .... threw up after .... not the food, but all the booze I'd packed away in the Australian But, the days of that kind of toy store are gone ... replaced by the Toys R Us bs. The closest thing to a real toy store that we have in Kingston is "Leading Edge Hobbies" ... still lots of model train stuff and model kits.
The book shop must have been Wardlesworths Eric
Old 21-01-2011, 19:14   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The book shop must have been Wardlesworths Eric
That's the one ... "Wardlesworths" .... back in the bad old days when books were printed on paper, and books that were "old friends" were dog-eard and marked up with comments and notes.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 20:01   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That's the one ... "Wardlesworths" .... back in the bad old days when books were printed on paper, and books that were "old friends" were dog-eard and marked up with comments and notes.
Wardlesworths moved about a bit Eric, they moved to the corner of Broadway and Union Street, then back to little Blackburn road across from where they were originally, that's before they shut for good, shame really

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..