Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 22:14   #1

Bands

Does anyone remember Eddie McGarry's Band? I think they used to play Accrington and also Tony's Dance Studio in Blackburn.
memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2008, 22:41   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bands

Eddie Mcgarry used to play accy con club on sats if memory serves me well.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:15   #3

Yer right there Mr C . My first girlfriends dad played the trumpet in the band up the Con. It must have been a New Years eve and there was one big line of people dancing some kind of Conga to Watermelon man, know the song but not the singer ?? , bet you can help mate.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:35   #4
Senior Member+

mongo santa maria

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:53   #5
Super Moderator

Original version by Herbie Hancock, who also wrote it...but it was Senor Santamaria's version that hit the charts.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43   #6
Resting in Peace

Eddie played at the Con when I started in the early 60s, can always remember the emcee keep coming on the mike a shouting Jiving around the sides please
Old 06-11-2008, 11:40   #7
Senior Member+

was the MC called Bernard ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 20:18   #8

eddie mcgarrys drummer for many years was olaf whittaker lived on lime road accrington a very smart and snappy dresser and then of course the lady vocalist lily towers the band itself broadcast many times on the radio and most of the band full time musicians
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 20:21   #9
God Member

I used to see his band there in the 50s - was advertised as 'Eddy McGarry and his Broadcasting Band'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04   #10

Thanks lads , can always rely on you. Now bernard rings a bell,
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
was the MC called Bernard ?
Spot on beechy, on Monday nights they had star nights under the premise of "Bernard Presents" that's when bands like The Lionel Morton Four(Four Pennies) Hermans Hermits, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders made regular appearances. He was also Steward of the Con later, and was also the steward of Stanley's supporters club at Peel Park, at the time when the Jazz Club was going
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10   #12

What was his last name jaysay, if its the same bloke I remember him as a very smart chap slick black hair and knew a little bit about everything in life, always seemed to have the right answer to any question. I remember him always wearing a tux, but there again it was a long time ago. Probably all stewards wore them, in those days. How many snooker tables did they have down stairs.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
What was his last name jaysay, if its the same bloke I remember him as a very smart chap slick black hair and knew a little bit about everything in life, always seemed to have the right answer to any question. I remember him always wearing a tux, but there again it was a long time ago. Probably all stewards wore them, in those days. How many snooker tables did they have down stairs.
Hi Alan, Bernard was steward in the late eighties, in the sixties I used to go in the middle bar, the barman was called Syd and he wore a waistcoat, and there was another one, I think he was called Walter but I'm not sure. There were two snooker tables in the downstairs members bar, and two in the middle bar, I think. In fact Alan in the early seventies I actually worked on the refurbishment for Lancashire Bar Fitters, when they replaced all the bars on the Ground and first floors
Old 24-11-2008, 16:05   #14
Junior Member+

bernard heap...great bloke....lived next to top block, water st
134waterst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 07:25   #15

Is he still kicking.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..