Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2009, 20:59   #16
God Member

Re: It was your job to do, when you was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Lots of jobs to do but the one I remember most was having to take unwanted pets to the gas oven behind the police station. Never liked watching them panic before they croaked. It was a rotten job but somebody had to do it!
Are you serious?

How dreadful.

Thankfully, my childhood chores went no further than the usual cleaning of my bedroom and , later on, a bit of ironing.

I would have done more if I'd been there longer but I left home at 19.
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2009, 21:31   #17
God Member

There were three of us in our house and it only takes two to do the washing up so we used to play cards or draw straws or throw dice after tea every night and the two losers had to do the washing up.

Had to help out with jobs but didn't have a specific one and my spending money wasn't based on helping out - just wasn't allowed to be sat around reading whilst my mum was cleaning. A duster would always be aimed in my direction.

I didn't have a swimming pool to clean as I grew up but I had fun watching the people next door cleaning theirs.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 21:41   #18
God Member

...those were the folks who couldn't afford a bathroom?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 21:50   #19
Super Moderator

You lot don't know you're born. We had to get up at 3.30am and lick t'road w'our tongues!
Old 25-07-2009, 21:53   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You lot don't know you're born. We had to get up at 3.30am and lick t'road w'our tongues!

Why???
Old 25-07-2009, 21:55   #21
Super Moderator

Cuz it taught us t'meanin' of hard work, that's why!
Old 25-07-2009, 22:04   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Lots of jobs to do but the one I remember most was having to take unwanted pets to the gas oven behind the police station. Never liked watching them panic before they croaked. It was a rotten job but somebody had to do it!
They had one of them in the Gt. Harwood UDC council yard , could never figure out if they were gassed or electrocuted , a big box with a padded bottom and a glass lid , owd chap who operated it would let us put them in, but never let us kids watch, allways shunted us out . don't ever remember anyone taking kittens or pups , think they went into the dolly tub then into an owd coal sack then into back of bin wagon ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 22:18   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
They had one of them in the Gt. Harwood UDC council yard , could never figure out if they were gassed or electrocuted , a big box with a padded bottom and a glass lid , owd chap who operated it would let us put them in, but never let us kids watch, allways shunted us out . don't ever remember anyone taking kittens or pups , think they went into the dolly tub then into an owd coal sack then into back of bin wagon ,
Ohh, no more please.

Too sad.
Old 25-07-2009, 22:25   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Why???
Quote:

so they would have something to complain about when they got older

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 22:30   #25
Passed away 25-11-09

I didn't have any chores to do but I did have rabbits, in a shed at the end of the garden, and I had to clean them out and feed them. I used to help with feeding the hens too.

I was never made to do anything in the house but I started to help my mother with cooking, because I wanted to, and I suppose that's how I learned to cook.
Old 25-07-2009, 22:35   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
so they would have something to complain about when they got older
Complain? complain? We never complained...and we lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. but did we complain? Never!
Old 25-07-2009, 22:50   #27
I am Banned

When I was old enough my job was chopping enough firewood for the week every Sat morning, then I had to go to Grandads and get his weekly shopping, and make sure they coupons wer'nt fiddled, for that I got 6d per week.

If I wanted any more I had to earn it, so I helped the caretaker at Hargreaves St school, cleaning out the boilers and shoving the coke down the shute, for that I got 3d. Treated myself to the Bug Hut every Sat afternoon, Roy Rogers, Flash Gordon, Bill Boyd, Harold Loyd, Laurel & Hardy, Lon Channey. All enjoyed wi a penorth o bits from Toffee Lythe off Plantation St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 22:55   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Complain? complain? We never complained...and we lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. but did we complain? Never!
You telling porkies, it was a cardboard box, not a paper bag, and you only did 12 hours at mill an 1/2 day sat.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 23:08   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Brown paper though was very usefull fer wrapping round yer body when kippping rough, good insulation.
Old 25-07-2009, 23:17   #30
I am Banned

It's funny because this came up today. My step daughter requestd sausage and mash for tea - I am feelin a bit under the weather and couldnt bare to peel spuds so I said fine so long as you peel the potatoes- she laughed and said ...mmmm.

So in she comes with her dad at six and said she was going to watch a video in our room - I reminded her about her little job and she laughed - i said it wasnt ajoke - but not wanting to get on her case left it at that -

an hour later she declared she was hungry- when was tea- I said about 45 mins after you have peeled the spuds-

she was beside herself that I had actually expected her to do something lol
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..