Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24   #586
dhm
Junior Member+

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

my first pint was in the pub next to the empire dance hall [ ossie ]1959 i cant remember its name
dhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2014, 14:13   #587

Two bottles of strong ale Half way house, on the trip to watch Acc Stanley play Liverpool, was a good 16 years old [Didn't see much of the game]
Accie lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:29   #588
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm View Post
my first pint was in the pub next to the empire dance hall [ ossie ]1959 i cant remember its name
The Royal a thwaites house, long gone now.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:33   #589

Are there any pubs with their own micro brewery in the Accrington area???
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:51   #590

tinker
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 15:45   #591
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Are there any pubs with their own micro brewery in the Accrington area???
Grants formerly the Hargreaves on Manchester Road, home of the Big Clock Brewery.
The copper fermenting vessels can be seen behind the bar.
Try the Pals at 4.0% or the100 weighing in at 5.3%
gdm27 likes this.

Last edited by DtheP47; 21-02-2015 at 15:51.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 14:34   #592

Anyone tell me the name of the bar/pub on Union St. back in the early 70's and if you can where was the bar in there. I remember it as one large room but can't for the life remember where the bar was situated.
Old 17-09-2016, 18:34   #593
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Anyone tell me the name of the bar/pub on Union St. back in the early 70's and if you can where was the bar in there. I remember it as one large room but can't for the life remember where the bar was situated.
If the pub was well designed the bar was next to the toilets, these days it seems with the modern pub the toilets are always two floors up.

Who thought of that one?
Extra plumbing for it to flow into the drain we used to stand over downstairs.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 15:31   #594
God Member

Quote:
Do you mean The Astronaut, it's the only one I can remember on there except for a working mens club at the top end roundabout where the Halfax is now?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 19:21   #595

Tried my first pint in the "Black Bull" in Huncoat when I was 14 years old, now at the age of 69 I will never be able to recreate the memory, as I believe the pub has been sold to a builder of asian descent.

Nothing wrong there but as alcohol is against the Muslim religion it obviously will never be a place of quiet contemplation over a pint of ale in order to put the world to rights.

Aah well, the pub has been going downhill for many years, so not really a loss.

Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 11:29   #596

That was it the Astronaut, do you remember where the bar was?
Old 19-09-2016, 19:48   #597

Probably where you ordered your ale,
AccyMad and DaveinGermany like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:07   #598
God Member

Quote:
That was it the Astronaut, do you remember where the bar was?
I knew how to find it but trying to describe it now I'm struggling a bit it was kind of at the back of the room if you know what I mean? There were two entrance doors into the pub, one at either side of the downstairs area &
there was also the Apollo nightclub upstairs - had one of the smallest of dancefloors I've seen but had some good times up there
gdm27 likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 08:22   #599
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Tried my first pint in the "Black Bull" in Huncoat when I was 14 years old, now at the age of 69 I will never be able to recreate the memory, as I believe the pub has been sold to a builder of asian descent.

Nothing wrong there but as alcohol is against the Muslim religion it obviously will never be a place of quiet contemplation over a pint of ale in order to put the world to rights.

Aah well, the pub has been going downhill for many years, so not really a loss.

Your's Taddy.
Used to pop in there after doing afternoon shift at Huncoat Pit. Remember it being damn good ale. The one by the Railway was ok too.

Last edited by Mog; 30-09-2016 at 08:30.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 21:32   #600

My 1st pint was in December 1993 for my works Xmas do, think the pub was shoulder and mutton it was right at the top of fielding lane in ossy, just around the s bend, it was turned into a house years ago now but used to be a good boozer.
wigass is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..