Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52   #16
God Member

Re: 1st. Barbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Derek Wynn's in Ossy.

It was just before my third birthday, and I was taken by my dad.

I remember the electric trimmer tickling my neck.

Mum wasn't too happy, because I came back like a toddler army recruit, but with a Brylcreemed quiff.

Maybe he should have left enough in the back for a Brylcreemed DA
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe he should have left enough in the back for a Brylcreemed DA
I'll bet Rindi doesn't know what a DA is Eric
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46   #18

it was swiffs ive for got were it was but my grandad took me there when i was small and you came out with no hair left on your head
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 16:32   #19

them were the days when roy use to ask you if you wanted any yakum on and he did your hair on top like a ice cream cone.That feeling when you walked outside and the air got to it and it stiffened up like a brush.lol
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 16:59   #20

the barbers i used to go to was by babyland toy shop i think it was called kemps it was quite trendy for the early 60s
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 21:05   #21
God Member

Same as beechy, Rene Archibold's. I always remember it as being on Abbey St., roughly where the CAB is now.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 19:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That's it Basigalupo .... it was hovering at the edge of my brain .... and Tom Dawson, yes.
There was also Jack Thornton on Barnes street where I was made to go. No matter what you wanted it was short back and sides with a bit of opera thrown in!
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 20:29   #23

jack been finishd 40 yrs norman his apprentice still going strong did 40 yrs in nov
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
jack been finishd 40 yrs norman his apprentice still going strong did 40 yrs in nov
Showing my age - saw Norman recently when I was over but shop was busy. I remember him starting with Jack and went to him when he moved to Whalley Road.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
This has made me chuckle. I had the job of taking my brother to the barbers on Blackburn Road. Can't remember any names but I think he might have repaired umbrellas too.

Our kid hated his short back and sides but I would have been in trouble if he'd have had anything different. Look after number one!
This was Norman Scott's at 281 Blackburn Road. I lived next door and used to help him fill the cigarette machine outside the shop putting 3d and 6d in the change slots. He never did pay me but I was only 5 or 6.
annie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 19:25   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Same as beechy, Rene Archibold's. I always remember it as being on Abbey St., roughly where the CAB is now.
thats the one, opposite what used to be Catlows.

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:02   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegrove View Post
the barbers i used to go to was by babyland toy shop i think it was called kemps it was quite trendy for the early 60s
Yeah that was Kemp and Smiths, its still a barbers now! My first was a chap called Billy Wild on Nuttall street...we called him "Wild Billy" I also used Baccicullupo (Spelling?) at bottom of Warner Street, and then went to Gordon Kenyon's who later on opened Plus Two on Abbey Street...i'm trying to recall exactly where Gordon's first place was..was it on Bank Street or near there?....only a small place!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 21:07   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeah that was Kemp and Smiths, its still a barbers now! My first was a chap called Billy Wild on Nuttall street...we called him "Wild Billy" I also used Baccicullupo (Spelling?) at bottom of Warner Street, and then went to Gordon Kenyon's who later on opened Plus Two on Abbey Street...i'm trying to recall exactly where Gordon's first place was..was it on Bank Street or near there?....only a small place!!

Best Regards - Taggy
was it not across abbey st on corner Taggy? just a mens back then, i used to go yon, cos chinny was the only one who used to section me mop as it was a bitch to cut right.
Old 19-01-2010, 03:39   #29
Senior Member+

Used to go to a place on Abbey St just around the corner from the bottom of Plantation St. called Jacks. When I think back I think he was a bit too friendly to the young lads?? I also remember the brylcream dispensers at the Accy baths, a good hand full for a couple of pennies.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 06:37   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was it not across abbey st on corner Taggy? just a mens back then, i used to go yon, cos chinny was the only one who used to section me mop as it was a bitch to cut right.
I think you could be right Cashy, my memory seems a bit grey, i know it was only a smallish place, then he moved and opened plus two, as you say it was just a mens barbers back then!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..