Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41   #47
Resting in Peace

Re: the good old days THE BLOCKADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
There was a bottle behind the bar called `pure old panther ****`,can`t say if I ever tried it!
There are bottles on the market these days with some weird and wonderful names I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1% last night certainly did the job
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06   #48
Junior Member+

used to play a electronic game called yangsee free pint for a full house, never saw anyone do it lol
mickbrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:27   #49

I worked behind the bar in the "Block" for 10 yrs +, Eddie poured the ODD pint,the only reason being if i turned up a few min's late, he could pull a pint, it was the getting it on the bar without spilling it that was his problem hehe.
The juke box was the best in town and the cheapest.Had many a good night in the back room. I know there has been a couple of Blockade reunions, went to 1 and was funny to see some old faces, folk came from all over the UK. If anyone sees John & Pam say hi to them for me please.
wendy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:54   #50
Senior Member+

We ( the buffaloes) used to meet upstairs in the Blockade on Monday nights. T.he pub wentdown when Joyce and Eddie left. The landlord was a guy called Paul and his wife. They had a dog called Jet
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 12:25   #51
God Member

I remember being in the Blockade a few years ago (at least 30), we were stood at the bar putting the world to rights when a well-known Accyweb member raised his clenched fist towards the sky and declared " I sleep under the hammer and sickle, my allegiance is with the Kremlin." Anyone like to guess who it was?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 14:29   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I remember being in the Blockade a few years ago (at least 30), we were stood at the bar putting the world to rights when a well-known Accyweb member raised his clenched fist towards the sky and declared " I sleep under the hammer and sickle, my allegiance is with the Kremlin." Anyone like to guess who it was?
Would it be yerself?
Old 15-09-2012, 14:31   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There are bottles on the market these days with some weird and wonderful names I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1% last night certainly did the job
It really lifted your sneck did it?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 14:55   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
Would it be yerself?
Not me, I've not grown through my hair yet.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 16:00   #55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not me, I've not grown through my hair yet.
Hmmmm...you got me thinking about this one. My initial suspicions were Bernard, but he still has a reasonable amount of hair on top. Any more clues?
Old 20-09-2012, 16:43   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Hmmmm...you got me thinking about this one. My initial suspicions were Bernard, but he still has a reasonable amount of hair on top. Any more clues?
Nah never remember Bernard in yon. At least as a regular.
Old 20-09-2012, 17:03   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah never remember Bernard in yon. At least as a regular.
I used to go in a lot. I don't remember it being me though. I wouldn't have dared say it anyway if Joyce had been there. Anyway it would have been the late seventies, and I was going through my Maoist period then. So it couldn't have been me.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:08   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I used to go in a lot. I don't remember it being me though. I wouldn't have dared say it anyway if Joyce had been there. Anyway it would have been the late seventies, and I was going through my Maoist period then. So it couldn't have been me.
Fair enough, Bernard. In that case, my other main suspect is Mancie. Could it have been him or was he only a Stretford End Red 30 years ago?
Old 20-09-2012, 17:37   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Ah thats why, i was absent wed n away at that time, Think wyns near the mark though wi his second choice.
Old 20-09-2012, 20:02   #60
God Member

Quote:
Don't muck about. Name and shame this commie dirtbag. The great Accy public need to know. Mind you, he (or she) has probably transferred their allegance to the Koran by now and is at this very moment knocking up an IED from nail varnish and doner kebab fat.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 20-09-2012 at 20:09.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..