Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31   #1

Stanley's Car Park - the Wembley of the North

In the 50's
Are there any members who turned up at weekends for a game on the cinders of Stanley's car park (soccer or cricket) - cardboard in the soles of our plimsoles etc.
..... some names that I recall:

Bill Chamberlain (me), Harold walsh (passed away), Eddie Westwell (in Ossie), Brian Baron (in Avenue Pde), Brian South, Joe Young, Ken Duxberry (in Sth Africa), Tony Anderson (IOW), John Anderson (Cal), Brian Hughes (sadly passed away), David Lloyd (a youngster then), Roy Cunningham (passed away), Peter Robinson, Ken Maden, Ken Smith, and quite a few others - names escape me for the moment.

Last edited by accybill; 07-05-2010 at 09:37.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2010, 10:01   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stanley's Car Park - the Wembley of the North

no but used to watch fer 5 mins or so, on us way up the coppice.
Old 07-05-2010, 16:06   #3
Super Moderator

Who would've thought that two of the participants in those games would've gone on to become well-known names, albeit in totally different fields?
Old 01-02-2017, 00:59   #4
Junior Member+

Stumbled across this old thread. Ken Maden is my father and is living in California.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 15:36   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Speaking of Car Parks at Stanley, a little bird told me this morning there gonna give the new un behind Clayton End some welly this week.? can only be a good thing fer us imho,
Old 07-03-2017, 03:05   #6
Junior Member+

Hi Gareth
I remember your Dad and his brother John. They lived the other side of Peel Park school on Manor Street. We all played snooker at Cambridge Street Methodist Institute together with a couple of the other lads mentioned in the first post (Robinson and Lloyd).
I remember John Anderson being the best player on the ashes and receiving some heavy tackles from the bigger lads. No yellow cards those days.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Stumbled across this old thread. Ken Maden is my father and is living in California.
Gareth I was at school with Ken, a demon fast bowler and a very useful forward. I shall now message you as I want to make contact with him.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..