Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2004, 09:50   #76

Re: The Deck

Mez, has made it Christmas on the Deck. Do they still have the tree outside the Market hall?.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2004, 10:21   #77

Talking Re: The Deck

Always used to hang out on the little wall outside woolies and everyone would meet under the clock for a night out, but we did go in the dahlia and also the golden grill (I think thats what it was called)

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 07:56   #78

Do they still have the Christmas tree outside the market hall?
Old 16-12-2004, 11:06   #79

The Tree has been relocated to the front of the town hall, the lights start about 12ft up so the loonies can't get to them, and the crib is there too.

Merry Christmas.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 11:24   #80

Is it still the original crib, I used to love that when I was a kid.

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 21:19   #81
mez
God Member

sorry i didnt get back to you alan, been very busy & didnt seem to get to that part of town.
Old 20-12-2004, 10:05   #82

Thats OK Mez, I know what its like this time of year. Speaking of the tree, its the same in Launceston, they put 10 foot boards around it, but the Vandels still try to get to it. How come they relocated it, from outside the Market Hall. there seems to be more space there.
Old 20-12-2004, 11:51   #83
Super Moderator

Had a look at it on Saturday - the tree and crib just don't look right outside the town hall. The irony is that there's even more space outside the market hall than there used to be, now the ornamental walls and flower beds have gone. Yet more Hyndburn Council madness!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 14:31   #84
mez
God Member

just been up dill hall (card posting) & noticed a crib next to the xmas tree, nr the traffic lights in church. i was impressed, never noticed it before.
Old 24-12-2004, 15:56   #85
Junior Member+

I remember the "Spiders Web". I used to go on a Sunday afternoon, it was the "in" place to go. I thought it was where Gibsons sports was, but I could be mistaken. Loved that Chinese place, they had great curries, so hot you'd have tears running down your face. Also recall the "deck" but girls didn't hang-out there just men (boys) Did anyone go "up Knowmere St"? I used to go there Saturday night, Morts Sunday and Wednesday nights. If you got there early on Wednesday, you got in free. Later years I went to Blackburn; Mecca, Mirrebelle, but Morts was the best. They used to come from Blackpool to go up Morts. One time three girls missed there bus/train and my Mum let them stay overnight at our house, although we didn't know them, people trusted each other in those days.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 16:02   #86
Junior Member+

I knew Jimmy Crawshaw, Mick Absolam, Stan Ridehalgh , Les Gibson, and probably most of those who went up Morts. I thought Jimmy was good when he was entertaining.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 08:18   #87

Mods about town. Can any ladies name any guys from the 60s they had a crush on ?.
Old 28-02-2005, 08:20   #88
Resident Waffler

Are you talking about famous guys of the 60s or Accy guys of the 60s? It could be ambarrassing if it's the latter and he turns out to be a member of the AccyWeb! lol

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 08:25   #89

Well lets say both, it would be interesting to see what names come up. I dont supose it matters now it was a long time ago.
Old 28-02-2005, 21:00   #90

Two famous guys of the sixties I knew Eric bentley and arthur lofthouse regulars at joe morts both looneys when on a motor bike I unfortunately stopped outside morts one night with my new matchless g9 500 twin the pair jumped on it came back 2 hours later I was lucky no damage only nearly out of petrol from a tank full Eric worked for his property repairing father and well known and popular in great harwood where he lived Arthur worked for various butchers in accrington market hall
keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..