Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2005, 00:12   #106
Senior Member+

Re: The Deck

The sunspot was an amusment arcade and electric bingo, I think.......

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2005, 16:24   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just a thought,who remembers the bridge cafe on blackburn rd,before the imperial-it was down the stairs with a great jukebox,the owner could be a bit ratty though-any memories?
Old 03-04-2005, 20:05   #108

No but what about the Blue Dalia.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 23:09   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
No but what about the Blue Dalia.
check out the thread buddy.
Old 28-03-2006, 23:03   #110

Hope Darren Woodhead & Garth Dawson, can find some photos from the 60s, of Mods hanging around the Deck. there must be quite a few as Mods were quite a phenomenon in those day's. Hope you can oblige Darren.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 23:07   #111

After all, Wynonie, Cashman, myself & lots of others served there time there.
Old 29-03-2006, 20:06   #112
Passed away 25-11-09

I've just read through this thread which I had somehow missed. Going back to nearly the beginning - someone mentioned Ollie Rowley. Would this be Oliver Rowley who had a brother called John and a sister Angela? Would he now be in his 60s? If so, he went to St Marys school when I did and - well, it was a shame, poor lad! If it's the right one, he would have been in a special school today.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the Wayside café, which was opposite Joe Mort's in the 1950s. It was a tiny place but it had a juke box and served the obligatory froffy coffy. It was owned by Stan (call me Stan) Forber, who had eyes a bit like Marty Feldman, and his wife Marjorie (call me Mrs Forber) Forber. Stan was a great guy and very fatherly.

And yes, the deck had railings when I used to meet friends there. I always assumed that was why it was called the deck - like a ship's deck, with railings.
Old 29-03-2006, 20:50   #113
Junior Member+

Does anyone remember the cafe across from Morts. You went downstairs to it, and they made really good pies. I also went in the Spiders Web on Sunday afternoons, it was the "in" place for teenagers.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 21:43   #114

I wonder what ever happened to, Isaac, Florrie, vito, Jimmy Lightbown, king swingers of there day, they were full of it, always had girls around them, I bet Cashman has a few stories and some answers, he was one of them.
Old 30-03-2006, 07:28   #115
Super Moderator

Yeah, Al, I'd love to see some pictures of the Deck inhabitants in the 60's but I doubt that many exist. We were too busy enjoying ourselves to bother taking photos at the time! Isaac, Florrie and Vito were legendary characters in their day...kings of the Deck. Still occasionally see Florrie walking around town.
Old 31-03-2006, 10:48   #116

Does anyone remember Sudders cafe on Blackburn road it was a meeting place for bikers and greasers we used to sneak up knock a bike over then run like mad when they came out...ohh the shame of it all and did anyone go to the Northen Soul nights at the British Legion in the centre of Accy or the New Area youth club when it was run by a very strict chap I think he was called Bennet could be Jack Bennet but I may be wrong..Phe
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 23:23   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=West Ender]I've just read through this thread which I had somehow missed. Going back to nearly the beginning - someone mentioned Ollie Rowley. Would this be Oliver Rowley ( he died a few years ago now)

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the Wayside café, which was opposite Joe Mort's in the 1950s. It was a tiny place but it had a juke box and served the obligatory froffy coffy. It was owned by Stan (call me Stan) Forber, who had eyes a bit like Marty Feldman, and his wife Marjorie (call me Mrs Forber) Forber.= the cafe opposite joe morts (wayside) must have become ciros cafe was owned by ciro polvani in my day,his daughter used to work their sometimes, it was a great little place, some real caracters went in.
Old 11-04-2006, 23:28   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
I wonder what ever happened to, Isaac, Florrie, vito, Jimmy Lightbown, king swingers of there day, they were full of it, always had girls around them, I bet Cashman has a few stories and some answers, he was one of them.
isacc, vito and florrie are still about, run in to them occasionaly, don,t know what happened to jimmy? i know kev florrie still goes to the blues festival over burnley/colne way, he invited me last year but was going to spain.
Old 16-04-2006, 09:53   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Isaac, Florrie and Vito were all real characters and permanent fixtures on the deck, or so it seemed at the time. There were actually two Tunnys who were brothers - "big" Tunny and "little" Tunny. "Little" Tunny lives down South and runs a successful mug manufacturing business. He occasionally posts on the Stanley forum on this site.
'Here I am' . . . . Little Tunny has just spotted this and has signed up on the forum. Hi Folks. There are lots of weird and wonderful memories on here for me. I probably need a week to look through the postings. I have sold my mug business and am now setting up a new business www.freelocal.co.uk www.seeitlocal.co.uk
If any body remembers me post a reply.

I can't believe that Stanley are back, I was palling around with Jimmy Harrower Junior when they lost their league status. His dad had been the manager, just prior to the end days . . . 44 years and I still have hair [ not much]

'Little Tunny'
Tunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 11:25   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybow
I knew Jimmy Crawshaw, Mick Absolam, Stan Ridehalgh , Les Gibson, and probably most of those who went up Morts. I thought Jimmy was good when he was entertaining.
Just had an enjoyable half hour reading all these, didn't remember it being called the deck as such and didn't particularly hang out in the Blue Dahlia, however, remember all the other pubs, clubs mentioned in the early sixites.

Also remember the people above very well ... even Mick Pettifer (your husband Tybow) .. now he was a 'right' teddy boy

Jimmy Crow !! Well, what can you say .. a right Lothario if ever there was one. Seen me home a couple of ... had a mattress in the back of his van, living in hopes I suspect !!
Once 'snogged' me in the doorway of Catlows fruit and veg. place... took my face in his hands and declared "It was like a pomegranate ! (hmph, never had acne by the way!!). Each part is like a little seed that blossoms". Had many a laugh about this with me mates.

Used to see him later up Martholme Grange, again, not sure where he has finished up now.

Had to laugh at the remark earlier on re. women looking like women.
Even I used to go into Accrington on Saturday wearing curlers with head scarf on so that I could preen my curls into a Diane Dors hairstyle at night.
Can you imagine that now >>>>> goin' out in curlers. Aaaagh !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..