Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 22:09   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Shops in Peel Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The first one is really interesting because we can see what our shop looked like in bygone years before they built it
Agreed,but if ya wern't a Dingle,ya would know what it looked like.
Old 10-11-2009, 22:23   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Agreed,but if ya wern't a Dingle,ya would know what it looked like.
And if I was about 50 years older
Old 10-11-2009, 22:42   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
And if I was about 50 years older
Jeez Dave ya have weathered bad.
Old 10-11-2009, 23:37   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ain't it marvelous how you old codgers remember these things
Who are you calling an old codger, cheeky young pup.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Who are you calling an old codger, cheeky young pup.

Retlaw
Old 11-11-2009, 18:19   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Memory joggers

Certainly memory joggers Atarah .. although don't remember the 1st one ..tramlines there

Had forgotton the wooden building ... was a bit dismal ...used to grab a few comics from there. Funnily enough, was talking to Keith Catlow this evening ... told him about this 'photo .. said he may come and have a peep
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 19:19   #37
Senior Member+

Yep good photo. Got it out of an old newspaper. I remember Catlows so well on the corner of Broadway and Whalley Road.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 20:09   #38

Thanks for the memory jog, was almost sure it was Catlow's in the wooden market hall, mum used to shop at Metcalfe's hence the hesitation in remembering the name.
Nice photos Atarah.
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 20:33   #39
Senior Member+

Mr Loofe had a workshop in Back Owen St, alongside the ralway line between Whalley Rd and Marlborough rd. When I was a young un, I was standing by a brazier near there when my overcoat became singed. I started to cry, knowing what my dad would do to me. Mr loofe saw me and had obne of his staff give it an invisible repair. My dad made me go into his shop a few days after and thank him. I was probably standing by the fire in the company of my mate Ken Sagar, whose parents had a bread shop in Owen St, or Margaret Booth, perhaps my first girl friend, whose parents had a bread shop in Marlborough rd.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 21:17   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

did yer first girlfriend have a younger sis bob? if was breadshop just above the iron bridge then she did, was in my class at junior school, still see her pretty often.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:30   #41
God Member

If the Margaret Booth you knew, had an older brother named Ken, then I met up with her at a High School reunion, and she now lives on Catlow Hall St near St Pauls Church in Ossy

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 02:03   #42
Junior Member+

I remember a flower shop on Peel Street in the 50s it belonged to my god parents, I think it was number 18, don't remember the name of it though, the smell was wonderful and my godmother always boiled a big pan of milk to make coffee, delicious. And the flowers were wired to make them stand straight longer instead of wilting on a hot day.
manantat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 11:26   #43
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
From the 1951 Barrett's directory....No 2, Trustee Savings bank No 4 Nobles, boots,shoes 6 Veevers, grocer 8 harris, outfitter 10 Crompton, furniture
12 Haydock Bros, dry cleaners then Pleck rd 14 Smith, confectioner
16 Douro Wines 18 Darbyshire's florist 20 Singer Sewing machines 22 Fasion fabrics 24 Metcalfe's, fruiterers.

Other side: Lloyd's bank, / Greenwood, newsagent, Caxton printing Co/ Greenhalgh's dry cleaners/ baptist Chapel then Infant St/ Loofe'stailor/ Crawshaw, furniture/Joseph loofe again/ J Hoyle, fancy goods/23/25/27 isobel Winter/ Ingham, wools then t'Palace flicks.
I remember number 18 being a florist, it belonged to my god parents, Derek and Mona, don't remember their last name, and I know it was the mid 50s as I was born in 50. They lived in Rishton, they later had another shop on Blackburn Road in the shops by India Street, I don't know what happened to all of it and them as I moved away. And seem to suffer from a bad memory..Manantat
manantat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 14:15   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yer memory aint that bad, yeh were correct about number 18.
Old 31-05-2011, 16:41   #45
God Member

Ironically we are at 18 Peel St but not the same shop

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..