Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2011, 17:11   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Shops in Peel Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Ironically we are at 18 Peel St but not the same shop
And ya don't sell floors either
Old 29-10-2011, 16:25   #47
Resting In Peace

Going back to the beginning of this thread, there may have been a runaway crash in Little Blackburn Road but I am pretty certain there was something similar in Peel Street late 50s early 60s affecting those shops mentioned by Willow in post no 1. I remember going down town at night, it was foggyand there were oil lamps with flares all across the road to stop traffic going down Peel Street.

I remember Nobles, posh shoe shop, and Veevers, posh grocers. Also getting my school uniform (and liberty bodices) from Isobel Winter, but the woolies came from the blind shop on Bank Street.

I also remember the shed at the bottom of Infant Street and Catlows when it was at the top of Broadway - a regular vist by me and my mum on a Saturday,
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 17:02   #48
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

I also remember the shed at the bottom of Infant Street and Catlows when it was at the top of Broadway - a regular vist by me and my mum on a Saturday,
If it was a large green shed what did they sell ? I can't recall ever going inside .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 17:44   #49
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
If it was a large green shed what did they sell ? I can't recall ever going inside .
I think they sold anything and everything I seem to remember lots of wooden tables with goods on them
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 17:47   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Think claytonx has it right, i can remember Fruit n veg stalls also, was a large green shed like building (Lavatory Door Green) people used to say.
Old 29-10-2011, 18:26   #51
Resident Waffler

Yes it was definitely green but I can only remember it vaguely and not much about the insides.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 18:40   #52
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Going back to the beginning of this thread, there may have been a runaway crash in Little Blackburn Road but I am pretty certain there was something similar in Peel Street late 50s early 60s affecting those shops mentioned by Willow in post no 1. I remember going down town at night, it was foggyand there were oil lamps with flares all across the road to stop traffic going down Peel Street.

I remember Nobles, posh shoe shop, and Veevers, posh grocers. Also getting my school uniform (and liberty bodices) from Isobel Winter, but the woolies came from the blind shop on Bank Street.

That takes us back a long way(liberty bodices)
Old 29-10-2011, 18:48   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
That takes us back a long way(liberty bodices)
Ya claytonx with the rubber buttons
Old 29-10-2011, 19:03   #54
Rest in Peace

Remember them well Jaysay
Old 19-01-2012, 17:14   #55
Junior Member+

Quote:

it was in the early 60 a vehicle went into vevers shop fronf it was foggy I was in the AFS at the time we helped tidy up in the shop and he gave me a chocolate log
anne
WINIFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:16   #56
Junior Member+

Harris's was a BABY AND CHILDERNS clothes store. Very posh.Our family was more the market stall clothes shop.
Toe Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 14:17   #57

I can remember painfully Hughes Dentists I think it was over the bank
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 14:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINIFRED View Post
it was in the early 60 a vehicle went into vevers shop fronf it was foggy I was in the AFS at the time we helped tidy up in the shop and he gave me a chocolate log
anne
Wasn't it a Corporation bus?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 21:08   #59
Junior Member+

Sorry guy's, the crash was at the top of Peel street where the bank now stands. A lorry drove into them during a thick fog. I remember looking at it when I was small boy. Must have been around 1950. I can also remember seeing small oil lamps glittering to mark the spot. ( no fancy flashing lights in those days).
Soloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 22:39   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post
Sorry guy's, the crash was at the top of Peel street where the bank now stands. A lorry drove into them during a thick fog. I remember looking at it when I was small boy. Must have been around 1950. I can also remember seeing small oil lamps glittering to mark the spot. ( no fancy flashing lights in those days).
Sorry but your mistaken, The bank you refer to was the T.S.B. I opened my first savings bank account there in 1945. If you read the thread through you will see the real crash was at the top of little Blackburn Rd.
Having served in th Fire Brigade, I would have known of a crash if it had hit the bank. I used to read the old incident records, and John Kelly and I did the history of Accrington Fire Brigade.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..