Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2017, 07:00   #286
Beacon of light

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Ecky thump Margaret, tha dusn'd ayf bring back memories, my grandad Fenwick lived on Higher Antley St, only a door or two away from thi Grandma, Daniel's coyle, think he moved to Lee St an took oer a pub, cake shop at top end of Major St, facing back Higher Antley St, they med some right gradely Parkin, A thowt ice cream man were Clemson, delivered in a horse drawn milk float.
I used to do me Grandads shpping for him during last war, armed wit basket, ration books, an money, you could get every thin you ever needed in shops in Woodnook, last stop were for his tobacco, fromt shop on Nuttall St, he always gave me a brand new penny, aypenny for that, and I was too watch closely as grandads baccy was cut off a large coil of black twist, an balanced the penny, aypenny. Dusnd thowts like thad start you ramblin thro time, ell fire near 75 years since. And tha geet punced eyut o skoo wen tha wur 14 an all.

The ice cream man might have been Clemsons for you, but in my time it was Birtwells.
You were right about the Daniels...they did branch out and the pub they had in Accrington was The Kings Arms.
In fact, when I was in Rough lee having my daughter, one of the younger generation of the Daniels was in there having her son...we reminisced about how it was when we were children.
I didn't tell her that I often went with a coal shovel and riddled under the coal yard gate for whatever would fall on the shovel.(frequently not much other than a bit of 'slack').

Frank...that has solved the mystery. I have racked my brains trying to remember who had the greengrocers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18   #287

The Daniels brothers were Frank and Jack. One had the Kings Arms on Lee St around the corner from where we lived on Plantation Street and the other had the Coal business. Not sure now which was which.
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:12   #288
Junior Member+

HI Sue. Just read your memories and the subsequent links.Between 1947 and 1951 I lived on Haywood Rd near the Co-op and Meadow St. and have vivid memories of Whalley Rd Congregational YC and standing on the iron bridge while the trains passed under. In later years Arcs was a popular place on Sunday afternoons but we always went to the Con on Saturdays and Mondays
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:32   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyboy View Post
...standing on the iron bridge while the trains passed under. ...
Do you mean the foot bridge at the end of Meadow Bank, near Back Owen St.?

I used to watch the trains go under it in the 1950s, steam in those days which made it more interesting.

My grandparents lived on Whalley Rd and the had a flat roofed extension which I used to stand on pretending to be the signalman, you could see the signal from there.

Happy days
Old 10-03-2021, 19:44   #290
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i used to train spot yon in the 50s lived on dowry st then.
Old 11-03-2021, 17:02   #291
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
The Daniels brothers were Frank and Jack. One had the Kings Arms on Lee St around the corner from where we lived on Plantation Street and the other had the Coal business. Not sure now which was which.
Mark
Jack had the pub Frank did the coal, Jack retired, Frank took the pub,Phill took the coal,Frank retired Phil took the pub and so on.
cashman likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..