Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2011, 10:43   #121
Resting In Peace

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Fascinating read, one of the best threads I've read on here. Maybe a bit before most peoples time on here but does anyone remember a shop on Stanley Street. made home made toffee and Ice Cream, Ice cream would be sold off a cart in Plantation Square, quite often the toffee would be sold at Stanley Games between the wars and up to the early 50s.
Doug, as the thread starter I appreciate your kind words. I really enjoyed putting the posts together.

Don't remember the icecream you mention but I lived on the other side of town.

I do remember Birtwell's selling ice cream from a cart on Queens Road, blowing a whistle to attract attention and asking if you wanted blood (aka raspberry sauce).

Happy days!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2011, 12:13   #122
Beacon of light

I remember Birtwell's Ice Cream too....it was the butteriest yellow.
they used to come up Higher Antley St on a Sunday afternoon.....with the horse and cart.
We used to run out with a dish....and my Grandma liked an ice cream sandwich.
Lovely.........I am not a fan of ice cream, but that was gold medal stuff.
Does anyone remember Stanton's pop wagon? Sarsaparilla out of a brown jug like bottle....the kind they use in the US for moonshine.....Dandelion and Burdock....supposed to have tonic properties...we just drank it because it was good.
Wendywoo likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:15   #123
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
they used to come up Higher Antley St on a Sunday afternoon.....with the horse and cart.
Just occurrred to me... was it Birtwells or Birtwistles?
Old 28-11-2011, 13:16   #124
Beacon of light

It was Birtwells.
Old 28-11-2011, 13:21   #125
Resting In Peace

Quote:
It was Birtwells.
OK thanks, thought so.
Old 28-11-2011, 13:25   #126
I am Banned

Quote:
Does anyone remember Stanton's pop wagon? Sarsaparilla out of a brown jug like bottle....the kind they use in the US for moonshine.....Dandelion and Burdock....supposed to have tonic properties...we just drank it because it was good.
There was also another chap who sold ice cream from a horse & cart in that area called Clemson.
I remember he used to stop at the bottom of Major St, in the 1930's

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:02   #127

Quote:
I do remember those bottles Margaret, in cold Ossie winters, my mum used to fill them full of hot water to put in our beds, and Mr. Birtwell was a friend of my family( never got any freebies though!! it really was good ice cream. I can also remember a shop at the bottom of New Lane that sold ice cream but I can't remember the name... could it have been Tricketts?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:08   #128
God Member

An old widow named Laycock used to make icecream at her home opposite St Pauls church Ossy, and sold it from a chest freezer parked in her vestibule. That was creamy yellow too, but sometimes had lumps in which was the 'skin' caused when she boiled the milk.
There was no 'pasteurised' or UHT, and herds weren't TB vaccinated.
The option to whole raw milk was sterilised milk which tasted very different.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:28   #129
Senior Member+

Quote:
Remember them well - had a summer job on the delivery wagons with them one year, probably '54. Didn't go thirsty that summer
Old 28-11-2011, 15:20   #130
Beacon of light

I wish you could still buy that stuff......it was good. We never got much in the way of sweets or fizzy pop, which is probably why it tasted so damned delicious.
Old 28-11-2011, 15:55   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
An old widow named Laycock used to make icecream at her home opposite St Pauls church Ossy, and sold it from a chest freezer parked in her vestibule. That was creamy yellow too, but sometimes had lumps in which was the 'skin' caused when she boiled the milk.
There was no 'pasteurised' or UHT, and herds weren't TB vaccinated.
The option to whole raw milk was sterilised milk which tasted very different.
I remember only too well the husband of Mrs. Laycock (very bad memories)
but I suppose we did egg him on a bit. Don't remember his wife, but he had a little shop on a corner in Commercial St. and sold ice lollies that looked like German army helmets!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 02:16   #132
God Member

Quote:
Me too ... I remember those bottles And you did have to mention the horse and cart ... we had coal delivered by horse drawn cart ... and Basil Brierly collected scrap and junk with a horse drawn cart ... and Swale delivered milk by horse and cart ... damn it I'm gettin' old. But no more mature
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:14   #133
Member.

I remember the stoneware jars well, we would also get Ginger Beer in them, then they started to come in beer bottle brown glass, but still with stone stoppers. Our's use to arrive on the back of an old open flatbed Bedford.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:29   #134
Beacon of light

Yes, we used to get ginger beer too. It was supposed to be non-alcoholic but it made me woozy......anyway we tinlids were not allowed the ginger beer really....Ma used to have that as her favourite.......it still is today, but not like the Stanton's version.
I was talking to Ma about it.......the ice cream and the pop wagon...she said it fair made her long for some of the old fashioned flavours.
She'll have to make do with some of my old fashioned Lancashire Hotpot.....cooking right now!
Old 29-11-2011, 15:12   #135
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
In the fifties my dad had a lockup garage and I'm pretty certain the address of that was Weir Street. There were several of them, rather ramshackle stone and timber buildings on some waste ground. I guess that must have been behind or next to the Australian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
There was some owd wooden garages susie, on the left going down,behind what was a wall.twas weir at the bottom, but twas always all the pleck to us.
I was just looking through some old family papers. I always thought my dad rented that garage but actually it was owned by our family. It was part of my great grandmother's property empire (she owned a few terraced houses and a farm) and was sold for 35 pounds in 1965 when it was described as Old stable, Weir Street, Lowerfold, Accrington.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..