Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 13:59   #1

The CLINIC!!!!

Who remembers being sent to the clinic on Cannon St. I once had to go there to see the dentist, I swear I had smoke coming out of my mouth while they tried to drill my teeth!!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2011, 14:03   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The CLINIC!!!!

Seem to think our class was once sent yon,to see "Nitty Nora"
Old 08-11-2011, 14:19   #3
Senior Member+

think it was obligotary to go from junior school we all went from st johns im sure

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:06   #4
I am Banned

Groove remembers the clinic on Cannon.ST...He remembers a kind of ramp/slope on the way in for some reason.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:12   #5
Beacon of light

Oh....don't remind me! That is where my fear of dentists stemmed from.
They scared me to death.......having fillings done there was hellish.......I remember being held down by a meaty(fat) dental nurse......I wriggled and squealed but it didn't get me anywhere.......I still eneded up having my tooth drilled and filled.
The long term repercussions were that I went for more that 40 years without seeing a dentist.

I have only recently overcome this fear....thanks to the patience and kindness of the dentist at Oak House.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:18   #6
I am Banned

Smile Re: The CLINIC!!!!

Groove remembers actually looking forward to having half a day off school and being gassed to have extractions, in his naivety...Groove is still scared of dentists till this day. He remembers coming out through the waiting room in tears, with a blood stained bandage held to his mouth. Heaven forbid a nervous patient was in that waiting room-they'd have ran a mile
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:26   #7

Yup this is the place. I once locked myself in their toilets for hours. Was the last one in before they turned the lights out!! Worked on me with a Black and Decker with a broken bit!! Honest!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:33   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
think it was obligotary to go from junior school we all went from st johns im sure
Cheers beechy, thought that was the script. by the way are yeh going to the Peel Park Inn Nov 22 nd fer the St.Johns Reunion? tis a good night.
Old 08-11-2011, 15:34   #9
Resting In Peace

I remember going there with my mum to take my brother and sister(twins) when they were babies, early 1950s. They were weighed in a scale with a big pan and we got cod liver oil and orange juice concentrate in a bottle with a blue top.

Wasn't it a wooden building with gates out the front?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 16:41   #10
white rabbits

I remember the Burnley clinic,,where kids came back to school with big patches over their lazy eyes,,,and others had purple blotches everywhere,,,,sheese
Old 08-11-2011, 18:51   #11
Resting in Peace

Never went to the dentist at the clinic, maybe because I always went to a dentist up Burnley Road think it was called Claytons, I know Nigel Bramley-Haworth took over the practise in later years
Old 08-11-2011, 19:30   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Never went to the dentist at the clinic, maybe because I always went to a dentist up Burnley Road think it was called Claytons, I know Nigel Bramley-Haworth took over the practise in later years
Yeah my mum used to know him. He was called Reggie Clayton and he had a daughter Elaine.

Our dentist was in the first block on Whalley Road past the top of Milnshaw Lane, above Thornbers chemist. His name was Dougie Payton and he had a bristly moustache and glasses and a wry neck. I used to find it terrifying when he loomed over you in the chair.

Our doctor was next door to the dentist. His name was Dr Lancett-Edwards, a really good name for a doctor!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 19:34   #13
Super Moderator

Never went to the dentist at the Clinic, but had plenty of jabs there - polio, diptheria, smallpox etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 19:34   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yeah my mum used to know him. He was called Reggie Clayton and he had a daughter Elaine.

Our dentist was in the first block on Whalley Road past the top of Milnshaw Lane, above Thornbers chemist. His name was Dougie Payton and he had a bristly moustache and glasses and a wry neck. I used to find it terrifying when he loomed over you in the chair.

Our doctor was next door to the dentist. His name was Dr Lancett-Edwards, a really good name for a doctor!
Some years after Dougie Payton Died I met his widow who had married a well know local cricker called Tommy Law, in fact he died not to long ago and I think his grandson is a member on here
Old 08-11-2011, 20:17   #15

I used to go to Douglas Payton for the dentist but my memory of the Cannon Street Clinic is having to go their for my BCG vaccination because I was off school when they were done there. Kids from all over the town who had missed their jabs were there and we had to line up down a corridor. A girl went in first and started screaming her head off. We were all looking at each other wondering what sort of needle they were using and where they might be sticking it until we heard the nurse tell her to shut up because she hadn't done anything yet. Happy days!
Lost in Cornwall is online now   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..