Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2016, 09:41   #16
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Re: First Supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
I think that the supermarket at the Broadway end of Union Street was Tesco's and what is now Argos was originally built to be a supermarket[I][I] (FineFare I think) but the company was taken over by an other supermarket before it opened and the new company never opened it. It stood empty for some time before Shoppers World took it over.
Did Wardleworths not used to be were Argos is, seem to remember it being up there but possibly wrong in as to exact building. ( I know it wasn't a supermarket )
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2016, 09:51   #17
Beacon of light

No, they were the shop next to Argos. On the corner of Bank St.
I spent many a happy hour browsing in there and mourn the passing of Wardleworths and Seed and Gabbutts(Blackburn)......another one of my haunts
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:15   #18
Full Member+

Wardleworths were originally on the other of the road and ran up from Bank Street and Wardleworths Printers were across the street at the back of the shop, Tasker Street I think.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:53   #19
Beacon of light

I remember them being on the corner of Little Backburn Road and Bank St.
I also remember them taking the shop at the Blackburn road end of Broadway.
I do not recall them having any other site....but then I am only a young thing(69 next time).
Old 20-02-2016, 12:39   #20
Full Member+

Wardleworths were definitely on the left hand side of 'Little' Blackburn road going up from Peel street. I remember my dad having a bump with his motor bike and sidecar outside their shop in the early 50's. I split my nose and was taken into a pub across the road to wait for the ambulance.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:51   #21
Full Member+

Was the pub called Freemasons Arms or something like that? When I started work I worked just around the corner. I served my time as a printer with Fred Dalton and he had an old pub next to the Blind Institute the pub had been called The Ferrier's Arms after it closed as a pub a dentist Chris Heyes used it as his surgery but he still left the pub door on.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 17:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I think you are referring to a shop called "Saul's" . May be wrong .
I don't think you are wrong, I can remember a "Sauls" on Black Abbey Street in the early sixties.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 00:45   #23
Resting In Peace

Worked at Seed and Gabbutts for five wonderful years before I had my kids. The Gabbutts were true gentlemen and always called us as miss so and so. I loved working there, being a book worm.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I remember them being on the corner of Little Backburn Road and Bank St.
I also remember them taking the shop at the Blackburn road end of Broadway.
I do not recall them having any other site....but then I am only a young thing(69 next time).
My sister worked at Wardleworths Blackburn road shop straight from school, (1964); then for many years at the shop on Broadway; in fact you may well know her Margaret, Her name before she got married was Linda Hadfield she went to Woodnook school but maybe a couple of years below you, if I remember rightly her nick name was Tish.

As ever, stay happy, Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:09   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
My sister worked at Wardleworths Blackburn road shop straight from school, (1964); then for many years at the shop on Broadway; in fact you may well know her Margaret, Her name before she got married was Linda Hadfield she went to Woodnook school but maybe a couple of years below you, if I remember rightly her nick name was Tish.

As ever, stay happy, Your's Taddy.
I must have known her as I was a frequent visitor to that lovely bookshop.....however i don't remember her from school.
I left in 1962.....it is usual for you to remember the students ahead of you, but less likely that you remember those who were below you.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 05-03-2016 at 18:12.
Old 09-08-2016, 17:32   #26
Junior Member+

I remember the Redmans and the smell of freshly ground coffee. Sugar was weighed into brown bags and butter taken from huge slabs and patted into shape before wrapping . Bacon and cooked meats were freshly cut for you to the thickness desired. I also remember money was put into little containers and wizzed over to the cash desk on wires , the container would be returned with your change in. The supermarket was Tesco and I remember saving the green sheild stamps in books. I collected loads but still had some which were never cashed in when they stopped giving them years later.
Katybow is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..