Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2015, 18:40   #1
Resting in Peace

School Dinners

I made Liver and onions with mash and peas for dinner today
liver was done in the slow cooker it was great
but reminded me of school dinners
my fav was butterscotch tart or choc sponge with pink custard
i hated and still do hate prunes and custard
what do you remember of school dinners good and bad ?
and do you have any recipes ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2015, 19:06   #2
Beacon of light

Re: School Dinners

I have never liked liver....in any shape or form.
I liked prunes and custard....not so fond of rhubarb and custard.
I liked any kind of cake and custard.....jam role poly and custard was my absolute favourite.
I can't think of many main courses....I liked spud pie and beetroot....and mince and dumplings.
In truth, if it had not been for free school dinners I think my brothers and I would have starved.
Eric likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 20:00   #3
Senior Member+

Never had school dinners as I lived near enough to go home.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 20:52   #4

I only remember the custard- nothing with it, just a steaming ladle full, poured into my bowl. I asked for more, and was told to stand in the corner for my insolence.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:22   #5
Full Member+

I always had school dinners as I didn't live in Accrington but went to school there. Don't remember any meals from Peel Park but at the High School the thing I remember most was something everyone called 'Yaccum'.( Well that was how it was pronounced) It was served with some sort of pudding instead of custard and was thick and very sweet. I never did know what it was but it was certainly a favourite. Anyone recall it ?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:23   #6
Beacon of light

When everyone had been served you could line up for 'seconds'...and believe me I did.
There was one lovely dinner lady who used to give me a chunk of cake to take home.....all neatly wrapped in a paper towel.
Turtle likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:43   #7

I couldn't stand tapioca pudding. It looked like frog spawn.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:26   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I always had school dinners as I didn't live in Accrington but went to school there. Don't remember any meals from Peel Park but at the High School the thing I remember most was something everyone called 'Yaccum'.( Well that was how it was pronounced) It was served with some sort of pudding instead of custard and was thick and very sweet. I never did know what it was but it was certainly a favourite. Anyone recall it ?
I recall it was served at Accy high school in the 50s.
Ii was white, and made with thick Nestles milk - yummy.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:33   #9
Full Member+

You must have been at the High school same time as me Margaret. remember Miss Scotney saying Grace in Latin?
Old 15-06-2015, 06:44   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never stayed for em.
Old 15-06-2015, 10:26   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
You must have been at the High school same time as me Margaret. remember Miss Scotney saying Grace in Latin?
I have looked at your profile.
I was 2 years above you.
I only had school dinners for the last 2 years - until then I went to my gran's in Accy.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:43   #12
Full Member+

I loved school dinners. The meat crumble was really good served with gravy from a metal jug and I liked semolina with a blob of jam stirred round to make it pink! The custard always had a thick skin on it but I wasn't keen on the stodgy sponge pudding. Prunes and custard was nice too. We always had proper meals until they changed to a canteen system when I was about thirteen when, I thought, the meals deteriorated. I can remember my kids coming home complaining that the yoghurts were out of date or the fruit rotten in the middle. I think profit started to come before proper nutrition.
Old 15-06-2015, 14:14   #13
Full Member+

Think you're right Westendlass. Now every thing seems to be something and chips. I do not every remember having chips at school.
westendlass likes this.
Old 15-06-2015, 22:56   #14

I've never had one!

Always had packed lunches. One day when I was about 5 I forgot my packed lunch and had to go and get a school dinner, I didn't know what to do and another little girl had to tell me when to get a plate and stuff and I was SO embarrassed-and I sat down to eat it and then my Father turned up with my packed lunch that he'd brought. All the dinnerladies were telling me I had to still eat the dinner but I threw a tantrum and wouldn't.

My Sister went to a different (private) school and is still so traumatised over the fact she was forced to eat prunes that we're not even allowed to mention them in front of her.
Old 18-06-2015, 05:27   #15
Resting in Peace

Remember chocolate sponge and pink custard ?
made this yesterday yum yum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg choc cake.jpg (486.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pink.jpg (427.5 KB, 8 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..