Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2018, 19:35   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, This Took Me Back A Bit!

Blackburn Rd, it's so far back in my memory I can't remember what the chippie was called.
It's opposite Platts Club, been shut for several years, now opened as a pizzas place, thought I'd try it, ordered up my meal then went to sit down, where did I sit? On top of the cupboard for the gas meter, the woodwork changed, (bit of chipboard cabinet), but what the hey same level for a good lean, just waiting for different food.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2018, 20:13   #2
Full Member+

Re: Well, This Took Me Back A Bit!

Google Street View from Aug 2017 shows that it was called Raees's Chippy

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.75...2!8i6656?hl=en

Pretty sure it was a chippie long before that though.
Old 23-07-2018, 13:37   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was a chippy in late 60s, used to pop in occasionally when i worked around corner on Dale St. used to call it big noses in them days.
Old 23-07-2018, 15:37   #4
Senior Member+

In 2009 it was called Real Grill, but that`s as far back as street view goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Real Grill.JPG (160.7 KB, 8 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 16:05   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
In 2009 it was called Real Grill, but that`s as far back as street view goes.
I think memory wise I might be able to go back as far as them selling fish and chips (long before fish 'n' chips), sometime around the time mentioned in Cashy's post just good wholesome probably fried in fat no good for you even though generations survived on it FOOD at a reasonable price.
How many of us wouldn't have survived if they didn't sell off the scraps from the frier cheaply?
hilleluk likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:21   #6

Less, the mention of scraps from the frier brought his nibs some fond memories of his granddad ‘Chippy ‘ Slater. Old Chippy had a number of fish and chips shops over the years and used to give the batter scraps to the young ones for free when they called at his shop after watching the flicks at the Empire or Palladium Cinemas. The movies probably cost them 3d or 6d and they wouldn’t have any money left for anything else but they always knew that Chippy Slater would feed them.

Now THAT'S going back a long time.
cashman and hilleluk like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:45   #8

By the way, Chippy Slater was a very enterprising and hardworking man. He would move into a house and convert it to a fish and chip shop while living on the premises. He worked all day at a local mill then went home and worked in his shop.

Polio in his youth had left him with a gammy leg that gave him trouble but he was seldom heard to complain.

He lived in an era when people didn’t complain about what life had thrown at them (what was the use), didn’t expect handouts (just as well as they wouldn’t get any), and didn’t think the world owed them a living.

Tough times, tough Lancashire folk.
Old 25-07-2018, 05:30   #9
Senior Member+

This shop was (is) 215 Blackburn Rd, the third one in from the bottom of Willows Lane. In 1939 irt was owned by P.Cullen, fried fish dealer. I remember it as a vey small shop - no room for eating inside.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 08:48   #10
Beacon of light

Very few chip shops back then had room for eating inside.
You took your basin, got your pudding and a mixture and hot footed it home before it got cold.
A lot of chip shops were the front room of a terraced house.

I loved the fried scraps....bits of batter and those tiny bits of crispy chips....I could eat a portion of those with a good dollop of lurid mushy peas and that would do me for my tea.

A few years ago I went to Whitby with Ma.We went to Trenchers...a fish and chip place that has ideas above its station.
They were serving a portion of scraps as a topping to a dish of mushy peas....at an eye watering cost.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 05:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
This shop was (is) 215 Blackburn Rd, the third one in from the bottom of Willows Lane. In 1939 irt was owned by P.Cullen, fried fish dealer. I remember it as a vey small shop - no room for eating inside.

In the late 40s early 50s, they used to open up the next room as a cafe on Saturday nights. We used to call in for our steak pudding all in (pudding, chips and peas ) on our way home from the Ritz/Con.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 02:26   #12

Oh, Accyborn, your mention of the Con Club and the Ritz in the late 40’s early 50’s have brought back more memories for his nibs. This was the time he would have been frequenting those places and also Joe Morts.

He says that there was a shop around the top of the street where the Hippodrome was and on the way home he used to get a bowl of mushy peas and vinegar that he considered was a delicacy – but at that time of the night and after consuming more than his fair share of liquid refreshment in the previous hours I would think anything would taste like a delicacy.

By the way, we won’t even talk about underage drinking…..
Old 27-07-2018, 06:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Oh, Accyborn, your mention of the Con Club and the Ritz in the late 40’s early 50’s have brought back more memories for his nibs. This was the time he would have been frequenting those places and also Joe Morts.

He says that there was a shop around the top of the street where the Hippodrome was and on the way home he used to get a bowl of mushy peas and vinegar that he considered was a delicacy – but at that time of the night and after consuming more than his fair share of liquid refreshment in the previous hours I would think anything would taste like a delicacy.

The pie shop was on Blackburn Rd at the top of Albion St. also one of my haunts. Wells was their name. Dotti, I bet he used to buy the"War Cry" in the little lad's pub at the bottom of School St., The Horse Shoe. Never forgotten the licensee's name, Walt.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 07:27   #14

He says you are right regarding the pie shop, Accyborn. Who knows, you might have been buying your pie and peas at the same time as he was. Lot of water under the bridge since then, and a lot of pies and peas eaten.

He can't remember the pub though, says he possibly did have the odd one or two there - I think he probably tried them all.
Old 27-07-2018, 13:40   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

The pie @ Mushy woulda been "Kendalls" dotti, his nibs will probably remember now?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..