Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gdm27
  • 2 Post By Big Joe
  • 1 Post By pifco

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2018, 14:35   #1

On the way to the Clough.

Back in the late 50's and early 60's we often walked down to the clough via Riley's farm and if it was really hot and it always was back then we used to have a mucky swim in the oblong shaped pond here. Anyone know what it was for, something to do with the farm I would think!
manning likes this.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2018, 06:30   #2

Re: On the way to the Clough.

Can't help you with your query, gdm27, but him indoors remembers a wall running alongside Riley’s Farm. When he was only very young him and his mates used to sit on this wall and pinch (and eat) the fruit from an orchard that was on the other side.

Also has fond memories of long walks to Cocker Lumb and Ossie Moors with his aunt.

Great times!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:24   #3

If its the same pond we used to fish in it with coat thread and a pin but we often used to play in the clough especially around five arches.
gdm27 and Ravo like this.
Old 02-08-2018, 15:54   #4
Full Member+

I don't know if the lodge was anything to do with it but when I was a kid in the early 50's there used to be a derelict red brick mill at the bottom of the bridle track past Riley's farm we used to call it Red Barn. My parents assured me that it was not a barn but had been a factory and I wonder if the lodge was connect to the mill and most mills around there seemed to have had a lodge nearby.
gdm27 likes this.
pifco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30   #5

Was that not the old isolation hospital ?
Ravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 19:52   #6
Full Member+

I think that the isolation hospital was on the other side of the railway line.
pifco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:12   #7

Gosh, certainly brings back memories albeit too vague. Born 1944 so the clough was a regular day out.
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..