Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2008, 11:40   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Homes at ‘pickle works’

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know. I'm told the brick facade was added in the late fifties, ten years before I arrived.

I still think it's an eyesore. As for the planned new houses, I think it is inevitable, though I do totally see the need for them to be in keeping with the village, and not to overshadow the existing cottages, something the 'pickle factory' currently does.
The officers of HBC were quoted in the LET as indicating that the land was designated as industrial land and as such there was no control on hours of work, type of work etc. Therefore it would be better to allow the building of houses on the site. All of which in my mind adds up to a veiled threat to the residents of stanhill..... accept the development or have the factory refurbished and suffer the noise etc.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2008, 14:41   #47
Senior Member+

From this weeks Observer, "the planning committee" again turned the Barrett application down. There will now be a public enquiry and the residents will get the chance to speak to the Planninng Inspector at the meeting

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-02-2008, 21:42   #48

I found a photo over the weekend from when my grandad used to work at Noels/Estcourts - he had one of the company vans - this is my mum modelling it! We think she was about 19 or 20 in the photo, so its probably from around 1970. Might just bring back a few memories for some of you who worked there or had family working there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estcourt_Van.jpg (73.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
3 storey means more floor area in the house, and as you say on the same plot of land as a normal 2 storey house, also at not a lot of extra cost to the builder.
My son lives in a new 3 storey house in St Helens, they have finished up having a conservatory built on at the back, to save them keep going up to the 1st floor lounge.
You right Park ... doesn't always mean more rooms, but can give bigger rooms. My friend used to live in cottage type one off Revidge, and now my daughter lives in this type (terraced) which has been modernised. Still not huge frontage width wise, but go in front door, stairs lead up to 2 double bedrooms/bathroom, ground level is large lounge with down to floor window, giving excellent view, and downstairs from this leads to large kitchen with access to outside garden and separate toilet... tis lovely. Course she lives in Dewsbury with lots of hills so lent itself very well to building on slopes. Perhaps this is why proposed in Stanhill.

Think it quite good that residents can see the problems it will cause and hold it up for a while, however, feel Barrets will just 'tweak' their plans to overcome this .. agree better than what is there at the moment, think the Stanhill residents just don't want to share.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 15:28   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Course she lives in Dewsbury with lots of hills so lent itself very well to building on slopes. Perhaps this is why proposed in Stanhill.
Though the "pickle factory" was at the top of the hill, fairly level area, I think the reason behind the 3 storey houses are to increase floor space without increasing the building footprint, & to keep within the gov guidelines for houses per hectare

Quote:
Think it quite good that residents can see the problems it will cause and hold it up for a while, however, feel Barrets will just 'tweak' their plans to overcome this .. agree better than what is there at the moment, think the Stanhill residents just don't want to share.
From what was posted in the LET it would seem that Barretts did not 'tweak' their plans in any way for the second submission to HBC. I think the residents have put a very good case forward, the letters and emails to HBC are excellent, I hope they get a fair hearing at the appeal.

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-02-2008, 17:25   #51

This might be of some interest;

Pickle Factory, Blackburn, 13-02-08 - UK Urban Exploration Forums

State of the pickle factory
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 16:21   #52
Junior Member+

That thread's been removed, you might want a look at this one:

Pickle Factory, Blackburn, 15-02-08 - UK Urban Exploration Forums
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 23:36   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
That thread's been removed, you might want a look at this one:

Pickle Factory, Blackburn, 15-02-08 - UK Urban Exploration Forums
Looks like it will have to rot for a little while longer Andym :-

Residents win homes battle - News - Accrington Observer

Cannot understand how they describe Stanhill as a picturesque village >>>>>>>>>> runs away from backlash.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:50   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Looks like it will have to rot for a little while longer Andym :-

Residents win homes battle - News - Accrington Observer

Cannot understand how they describe Stanhill as a picturesque village >>>>>>>>>> runs away from backlash.
I think it is great news for the residents of Stanhill, and just shows that Large companies can be stopped in their tracks.

Good on the Planning Inspector for turning Barratt's appeal down

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..