Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2008, 23:17   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You could be correct Cashy and that they did leave a small part of it standing. Must admit that I have not been up those streets for a long time, just that this threw me a little and Google Earth too :-

'However, it is clear that Henry Holt made several visits to some big demolition sites photographing them and adding numerous bricks to his collection in the process. Stanhill Ring Mill at Oswaldtwistle, Mill Lane Spinning Co. at Leigh, and Broadfield School at Rochdale are just three examples of a substantial number of demolitions which Henry recorded at some length. '

Some guy that collects bricks.
take no notice of Google Earth- me apartments not there n i just left it last week.think the firms called Winchester Furniture, aint sure,will ask the boss tomoz.

Last edited by cashman; 13-04-2008 at 23:23.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2008, 23:34   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
take no notice of Google Earth- me apartments not there n i just left it last week.think the firms called Winchester Furniture, aint sure,will ask the boss tomoz.
Yeh, just found it Cashy .. but not sure if ex Stanhill ?:-

Winchester Furniture UK Ltd Information

Didn't know that was there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 23:58   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
which was the Vine mill? names familar but can't place it
Not sure if Google map links work on here, but this is it.

Google Maps

Handily for those looking for it, it has 'Vine Mills', in white tiles, on the side of the red brick tower.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 00:00   #19
Give, give, give member

Ooops, link doesn't work.

But if you type in 'Vine Mills Oswaldtwistle', it'll bring you up a map.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 00:00   #20
God Member

Winchester -They have, or had, a place at Higham -got a chesterfield off them about 10 yrs ago

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:05   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yeh, just found it Cashy .. but not sure if ex Stanhill ?:-

Winchester Furniture UK Ltd Information

Didn't know that was there.

The link shows the address - Norman Rd., which was less than 100 yards from my home (I lived opposite what was then the petrol filling station. I had a great aunt who lived on Norman Rd.)). The old Co-op Laundry was on that street and there now seem to be quite a few large units there and half the houses knocked down.

Stanhill Spinning Mill was a very large building on Tower St., at the top of Spread Eagle St. There was nothing either side or behind it, just the little group of streets, Spread Eagle, Tower and Percy, which it towered over. Maps, as well as Google Earth, definitely show 3 new streets where the mill stood and more new streets at the top of Norman Rd.
Old 14-04-2008, 18:35   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The link shows the address - Norman Rd., which was less than 100 yards from my home (I lived opposite what was then the petrol filling station. I had a great aunt who lived on Norman Rd.)). The old Co-op Laundry was on that street and there now seem to be quite a few large units there and half the houses knocked down.

Stanhill Spinning Mill was a very large building on Tower St., at the top of Spread Eagle St. There was nothing either side or behind it, just the little group of streets, Spread Eagle, Tower and Percy, which it towered over. Maps, as well as Google Earth, definitely show 3 new streets where the mill stood and more new streets at the top of Norman Rd.
Listen West Ender ... know we are correct about Stanhill .. was definitely demolished .. just have to let Cashy down carefully .. he will argue black is white, etc ..... At least found a store that sells leather suites if ever I am need of one.
Old 14-04-2008, 20:09   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

Proof in the text and in the photo.

New Page 1
Old 14-04-2008, 20:23   #24
God Member

Knew they had built a housing estate but couldn't remember if they left some of the mill standing and couldn't be bothered arguing.
Old 14-04-2008, 20:51   #25
Passed away 25-11-09

When I was very small there used to be a "rec" next to the mill, on the West side of it. I can remember being taken there and playing in a sand pit and on the swings and a seesaw. It closed before I started school, I think the equipment was very old, but nothing replaced it and it was just left as an empty space.
Old 14-04-2008, 21:30   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

was the offices of the ring mill not in the building still standing on norman rd? seem to vaugley remember Fred Dibnah demolished the old chimney, could be wrong on that as well.
Old 14-04-2008, 21:49   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Proof in the text and in the photo.

New Page 1
Well done on finding that West Ender ... that should keep Ossypete happy too .. not that he has thanked us like for our efforts ....

"was the offices of the ring mill not in the building still standing on norman rd? seem to vaugley remember Fred Dibnah demolished the old chimney, could be wrong on that as well." quote from Cashy.

Well Fred Dibnah demolished most chimneys around here, didn't he Cashy ? (can you imagine what he was like as a little lad !).. don't know the answer to that .. but will ring Winchester tomorrow to ask if their premises are the offices of Stanhill. Doubt it though, if you had read my earlier post....
Old 14-04-2008, 22:20   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

There was only the laundry on Norman Rd. All the units that are there now are quite recent. There was a row of terraced houses (about a dozen, maybe more) then the laundry, which was quite sizeable, then it was fields all the way to Stanhill. The mill's offices were inside the mill building.

Last edited by West Ender; 14-04-2008 at 22:24.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 23:07   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ok hold me hand up it musta been the laundry then, its n old building though not new,the upstairs where winchester is looks like a mill room though.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:25   #30

Quote:
was the offices of the ring mill not in the building still standing on norman rd? seem to vaugley remember Fred Dibnah demolished the old chimney, could be wrong on that as well.

Yes Fred did demolish the chimney (although spent most of the time in the hare and hounds), they also filmed a VW Scirroco advert there whilst the chimney was felled. Do you remember it, it showed the car speeding off as the chimney fell behind it.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..