Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2009, 13:00   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Bye-election in Ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
So long as it was a good looking monkey
But seriously the Tories were in just the same position as Labour are now back in the 90s and there is no way would we ever put out leaflets without indicating the Party or without a Logo, which ever way you look at it is just a tad dishonest, you should never be ashamed of the party you represent. Who's the best candidate? Well to me its the one that actually lives in the town. I can remember in he 90s when we had Labour councillors foisted on us from the peoples republic of Spring Hill, there were 8 Labour councillors in all and Ossy got nout
You can take it from me that the Tories have put plenty of leaflets out, without indicating which party the leaflet came from. They still do it in the ward I represent

Incidentally if Dorothy wins next Thursday the Council will go from a Tory controlled council, to no overall control.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2009, 13:16   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You can take it from me that the Tories have put plenty of leaflets out, without indicating which party the leaflet came from. They still do it in the ward I represent

Incidentally if Dorothy wins next Thursday the Council will go from a Tory controlled council, to no overall control.
Well that's funny because all our leaflets are taken from the same template, and as for no overall control you lot will lie and cheat to try and make it happen, your just a bunch of Political Carpetbaggers
Old 18-07-2009, 18:00   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well that's funny because all our leaflets are taken from the same template, and as for no overall control you lot will lie and cheat to try and make it happen, your just a bunch of Political Carpetbaggers
Just trying to be helpful.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 18:11   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
your just a bunch of Political Carpetbaggers
Round and round in circles we go on this point, you ignoring the fact that there are many Tory councillors sitting on our council who are also Carpetbaggers.

carpetbagger (plural carpetbaggers)
  1. (politics, chiefly US) A candidate who runs in a district where he or she has not previously held residence.
At least Dorothy was born and bred in Oswaldtwistle !

Funny, but I still do appear to have a great leaning towards Peel Park Ward, where I was born and bred, rather than the Clayton-le-Moor's one where I have now lived for the past 45 years.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 00:06   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Who's the best candidate? Well to me its the one that actually lives in the town.
That could be why the people of Hyndburn, who don't live in Oswaldtwistle, i.e.the vast majority, have twice rejected your little chum Britcliffe in General Elections.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:29   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That could be why the people of Hyndburn, who don't live in Oswaldtwistle, i.e.the vast majority, have twice rejected your little chum Britcliffe in General Elections.
If Britcliffe had have won in 1997 or 2001, even I would have thought he had divine intervention, especially after the boundaries were gerrymandered
Old 19-07-2009, 09:31   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Round and round in circles we go on this point, you ignoring the fact that there are many Tory councillors sitting on our council who are also Carpetbaggers.

carpetbagger (plural carpetbaggers)
  1. (politics, chiefly US) A candidate who runs in a district where he or she has not previously held residence.
At least Dorothy was born and bred in Oswaldtwistle !

Funny, but I still do appear to have a great leaning towards Peel Park Ward, where I was born and bred, rather than the Clayton-le-Moor's one where I have now lived for the past 45 years.
So we can expect you standing in Pell Ward then kate, as an independent of course
Old 19-07-2009, 09:47   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So we can expect you standing in Pell Ward then kate, as an independent of course
Well, would feel that I had justification to care about the people there in improvements to an area that gave me so much.

Anyway, will be nice to you today seeing as it's your birthday ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 10:36   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, would feel that I had justification to care about the people there in improvements to an area that gave me so much.

Anyway, will be nice to you today seeing as it's your birthday ...
Brings an all new meaning to the saying "be gentle with me kate"
Old 23-07-2009, 21:14   #55
God Member

Well, the voting for this will have ended at 10pm this evening.

I haven't voted as I don't live in Immanuel Ward, I was in the library earlier, it was used as a polling station today and there weren't many coming in to vote whilst I was there. It's a shame.

I suppose some people will be on holiday but I think there may be even more apathy than usual what with the recent MPs expenses scandal.

I wonder what percentage of people did vote. Will find out soon enough I suppose.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:22   #56
Senior Member+

Wouldnt be surprised if we have another protest vote.One of the minor parties getting in.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:24   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
Wouldnt be surprised if we have another protest vote.One of the minor parties getting in.
There were only two candidates standing, one Labour and one Conservative.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:26   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There were only two candidates standing, one Labour and one Conservative.
Well my guess is a tory landslide in it
Old 24-07-2009, 10:02   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
Well my guess is a tory landslide in it
You were always a good judge Ian, 133 majority is a landslide in Immanuel ward on a 32% poll, Believe Dorothy had a face like a Churchill Dog chewing a wasp
Old 24-07-2009, 11:36   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Believe Dorothy had a face like a Churchill Dog chewing a wasp
Who told you that?

Still it's a little more imaganative than a 'silly cow'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..