Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2010, 20:55   #1
God Member

Burglaries

I don't know if it's a good idea to post this or not. But, at a meeting last night, the Police said there have been a spate of burglaries in the Edinburgh Drive/Durham Drive area of Osw.

The burglars are nipping in the back door and just taking what's on show - in and out within seconds - but they've had some pretty rich takings with rings, laptops etc. On one occasion, apparently, they were so bold that they watched a lady make her tea then waited till she went in the other room to eat it and then nipped in the back.

So, if you live in the area, be very careful and make sure your doors are always closed. If you know someone who is vulnerable make sure they are aware and that they are careful.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2010, 21:06   #2
God Member

Re: Burglaries

i had an intruder in my house over xmas , they thought i was out because my car wasnt on teh drive and walked in through my back patio door but when confronted by my son decided to leg it when he shouted for me.Sadly the culprit had a good head start on me and weather conditions recently arnt good for collecting finger prints

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 21:26   #3
God Member

That's a bit scary. They're very bold!

Old 13-01-2010, 22:38   #4

Some lads tried to get into my house a few weeks ago, thinking it was a easy target.Luckily i am a light sleeper.I could hear them outside in the driveway, they soon scarpered when they saw my air rifle which is kept by my bed.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 22:57   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2 separate homes around our way were robbed like this in the summer, old lady in next street n a mate on block below us, who was attacked in his kitchen, apparently both robberies were a smackhead n his mate from up spring hill way, could be same crew, the moral here is KEEP yer doors LOCKED, we have done fer years, its sad life is like this now, but it is.
Old 13-01-2010, 23:12   #6

Cant agree more like you say cashy even tho it is a minority of people, it should never happen.I dont want to think how bad it wil be in years to come.My gran used to tell me when she was in her 20's you could go out shopping and not lock the the door, my gran always told me people were different when my gran was growing up, they had alot more respect for each other, its a shame societies gone like it has.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 07:21   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the moral here is KEEP yer doors LOCKED, we have done fer years, its sad life is like this now, but it is.
I keep our locked. Have done since the kids were little so they could not get out onto the street.

Also our house alarm chimes when a door is opened so you know someone just opened it.

The chime can be a bit annoying with people in and out a lot when its busy here but when in on your own you would know straight away if a door was opened.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:23   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

While talking about alarms you can have them fitted so you can set it while you are in the house and walking around. Door/window switches and shock sensors on windows will trigger if someone tries to get in the house.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:42   #9
Resting in Peace

There's a lot to be said about the Crime Prevention Advert which is currently running on TV, the one were the couple are asking if the doors been left unlocked and that bills, laptops and car keys are in site if windows, the trouble is people do do these things. Another daft idea is leaving our car running outside your home to defrost in a morning, along comes wide boy and says thank you very much and has it away with your prize possession. It ain't rocket science to make your home and belongings safe
Old 14-01-2010, 10:38   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

A mate of mine had his car keys fished off a table in the hall through his letter box. They opened his front door, took his mobile and wallet off the table and stole his car with the keys.
Old 14-01-2010, 19:21   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
While talking about alarms you can have them fitted so you can set it while you are in the house and walking around. Door/window switches and shock sensors on windows will trigger if someone tries to get in the house.
I would have thought so as you can get alarms which are sensitive to movement in & around your house which can be turned off through the day while you're in, then switched on at night when you go to bed, my brother had some at his house.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:15   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There's a lot to be said about the Crime Prevention Advert which is currently running on TV, the one were the couple are asking if the doors been left unlocked and that bills, laptops and car keys are in site if windows, the trouble is people do do these things. Another daft idea is leaving our car running outside your home to defrost in a morning, along comes wide boy and says thank you very much and has it away with your prize possession. It ain't rocket science to make your home and belongings safe
BBC News - Woman killed as she tries to stop car thief
This was on the news this morning about a woman being seriously injured by her own car, trying to stop it being stolen, sadly she has since died
Old 15-01-2010, 19:54   #13

keep your doors locked, at ten last night 4 men in hoodies and scarfs round their faces got into my 14yr old daughters best friends house, she was home alone and they had a machete, she was terrified of the scum, bless her, they stole allsorts, this was in ossy centre,so be aware.
broadhurst7173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 22:55   #14
God Member

My doors are always locked only way to know you are safe these days unfortunately
Old 15-01-2010, 23:07   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhurst7173 View Post
keep your doors locked, at ten last night 4 men in hoodies and scarfs round their faces got into my 14yr old daughters best friends house, she was home alone and they had a machete, she was terrified of the scum, bless her, they stole allsorts, this was in ossy centre,so be aware.
That's awful and no wonder she was terrified. I hope she can get over it.

From what we were led to believe the Police know who these people are (the ones committing the burglaries up near Edinburgh Drive) but they have to catch them at it or in possession of stolen goods.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..