Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2005, 10:33   #61

Re: Rhyddings park history ??

I Know Parky What You Mean -- Maybe It's That They Don't Really Know What The Parks Like Today Are They Don't Know Where The PARK Is In Ossy AND NEED HELP WITH SOMEONE HOLDING THERE HAND TO FIND IT.

Last edited by ossygobbin; 19-05-2005 at 10:35.
ossygobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2005, 10:53   #62

Parky What Time You Thinking Of Going I Will Join Have Look Round
Old 19-05-2005, 20:35   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
It states there that there are toilets available in the park during working hours ????

Anyone ever seen these ??
Had a walk round this afternoon with ossygobbin, he used to work in the park and knew where the toilets should be but all that's left is a sign on the wall "Gents"

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 20:19   #64

Gents!! And where are the Ladies???
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 18:18   #65
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
On moving into our house a few years ago, I embarked on doing some research on the history of Rhyddings park. Found some interesting information about things in the park and their origins, Most fascinating was the house that once stood proud in the "park" which was the garden for this splendid house.Ryhddings Hall.
The picture's that excist on file in they library are wonderful to look at, the house was built for mill owner Mr Watson, and was a beautiful building, after this house was given to the council they in there wisdom used and abused it until they chose to demolish it along with part of our Beautiful heritage.
I will not dribble on at length about the many things you can find in your local library given TIME..

But I did wonder if anyone else had done any research into this bit of history????? Because one thing I have tried to find out about without results is the fact that Rhyddings hall was built on the site of what was described as " Rhyddings old hall" which made my mind wander as to what this was?? But can not find any information on this.... Can anyone else help???
It looks like you have a lot of history of rhyddings park, but the history i remember is when i used to live at the top end of Rhyddings st, 30+yrs ago it was a main attraction for famileys, in the summer you could go there and they would be bands playing in the bandstand, punch a judy shows going on, entertainment etc. The main field used to be packed, the bowling greens used were always packed, you had to wait your turn, and the swing park, well you used to be lucky to get on. Shame you didnt live there then, its sad to see the park so quite now, and im sure folk from ossy would agree
robbindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 18:58   #66
God Member

I remember it from then. We moved into Fielding Lane (opposite the park) 33 years ago and it was always busy in summer.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 19:12   #67
Senior Member+

Ah the bandstand, those were the days..........a band was playing the day we moved in. I think there were only 3/4 cars parked on the lane........good memories

Albert Einstein.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:38   #68
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Ah the bandstand, those were the days..........a band was playing the day we moved in.
Parky I would bet you a fiver that if we put some band's on in the Park nowadays we would get complaints from people on Park Lane or maybe even Fielding Lane.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:58   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Parky I would bet you a fiver that if we put some band's on in the Park nowadays we would get complaints from people on Park Lane or maybe even Fielding Lane.
Could be from some of the younger residents, but I think the older end would think they had stepped back in time,and would sit on the front as they used to do to listen to the bands

Albert Einstein.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:08   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

No the people on Fielding Lane are all chilled out each and everyone. You may get a few from the Park Laners, particularly the ones that complained that seeing/hearing children playing on the swings would ruin their lives.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 23:52   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Mike, no problem only to glad to help record a little of the history of ossy, if I come across any more I will pass them on to you.

Cheers and keep up the good work

NEW website Address LIFE AND TIME OF OSWALDTWISTLE ===== it's all new Please could you pass it round

[email protected]

Last edited by ossygobbin; 29-03-2011 at 23:56.
ossygobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 16:24   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
I hope the people, who will be involved in restoring rhyddings park take the time to look at some of the old photo's on ossygobbin's web site. There are some excellent photo's on there of what the park used to be like.
Hi I know its ages ago but do you know the website for ossy Gobbiners photos please
stacyanne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 20:12   #73
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyanne123 View Post
Hi I know its ages ago but do you know the website for ossy Gobbiners photos please
I think that this is what you want.

https://oswaldtwistle.shutterfly.com/

DonaldH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 18:37   #74

Re: Rhyddings park history

John Bradley was the son of Clayton Bradley, an early registrar in Church. The family name was originally Broadley but this branch became Bradley in the 1750s.
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:38   #75
Senior Member+

Hi all
I am looking for photos of the "bandstand" that used to be in Rhyddings Park, but was burnt down by vandals.
Can anyone help?

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..