Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 08:45   #1
Junior Member+

New to the area

All,

I'm new to the Accrington/Blackburn area and am trying to find out more about locations on the outskirts - Oswaldtwistle in particular. Can anyone give me a quick once over about Ossy? Ease of getting to Accrington station by pulblic transport? nice areas of housing? Can you suggest any other 'nice' areas in the region? Darwen?

Any help greatfully recieved!

Shippers.
Shippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2005, 10:10   #2
Wez

Re: New to the area

Hi Shippers,

Darwen? Nice? Same sentence? a novel concept...

Actually, I'm pretty useless here, I'd say you should pay a visit to Accrington Town Hall (There's an information centre there) with regards to public transport. If you're looking for nice areas to live then it might be worth driving round Hyndburn one morning.

Welcome to the area by the way =)
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12   #3
God Member

Baxenden is quite nice, Public transport to the station depends on what time of day. I don't think there are any buses before 6:30 am so if you need to catch an early train you are in trouble.

Most of Ossy is OK as well. There is a Church and Ossy railway station so you may not need to go to Accrington to catch a train.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:16   #4
Junior Member+

Thanks Wez and entwisi. I'm going to have a good explore at the weekend, just trying to get as much info up front as I can so thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:52   #5
Wez

No worries mate, I wish I could have been of more use.

Good luck =)
Old 02-02-2005, 13:55   #6
Resident Waffler

Welcome to the area Shippers.

Union Rd Ossy is on the main bus route and the station is that funny little bus stop thing on the bridge over the road. I think one side of the bridge is Ossy and the other side Church so Union Rd becomes Market St.

There are good and bad parts in all areas but the borough isn't really as bad as you might think from all the moaning about it that we do on here, that's only because we'd like it to acheive its full potential and not just stagnate.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 16:33   #7
Senior Member+

Ossy great little town I was brought up there.Im a taxi driver in Hyndburn so I do KNOW the area.Might be able to help you but if I was to diss certain areas I would probably get slated off some who lived there.If you need to know anything personal message me.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:32   #8
Senior Member+

Hi, have a look at this, its full of photo's of Ossy past and present

http://www.ossygobbin2003.fotopic.net/

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 17:45   #9
Junior Member+

Thanks for that link - some very nice snaps in there.
Old 03-02-2005, 18:31   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippers
Thanks for that link - some very nice snaps in there.
Glad you enjoyed them, Mike to "ossygobbin", must have spent hours on that lot

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 20:50   #11

first pic i come to was the one looking down union road near the bay horse . wheres all the drunken idiots from outside the pub and the tinker further down and all the teens down near the rhyddings st junction either drunk or on something and giving abuse to passers by and most of all its sunshining on that pic thats got to be false in ossy lol
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:17   #12
Senior Member+

LOL rabbit now exactly wot u mean taxi office I work for on same block as Bay horse.Never like picking up on Fridays especially at office,Bay horse like Monroes 2 on fridays.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:26   #13

The best place to buy a house around Accy is............................................Kesw ick......and that's going to the dogs as well!!

Seriously though; Top of Ossy, Knuzden, Stanhill, Bash, Altham, and that's about it. Depends on what you want, need and if you have transport. I've found in the last few years that most of the people are tending to move away from Accy...and more onto it's fringes or down the Ribble Valley (if they can afford it).

Welcome to Chav Town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 17:51   #14
Junior Member+

Blimey, these replies have taken a turn for the worse!
Old 04-02-2005, 23:06   #15

Also depends on how much money you have to invest in the property,

Accy, (Manchester rd) Ossy (top end of, High St (Fielding Ln area) Stanhill, Knuzden, all will cost many £££K.
Good luck in your quest

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..