Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2017, 12:07   #1

Canon E.O.S.50E

As we have plenty of camera savvy poeple on Accy Web, could someone tell me if it is possible to buy an adaptor for my Canon E.O.S. 35mm film camera to enable me to use my lenses if I buy an E.O.S digital camera body.

The lenses that I already own, a 28/70. a 70/300 and a 500 mm fixed will all fit my son in laws digital Canon camera but the electronic systems will not work.

Any advice would be appreaciated.
Your's Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2017, 17:23   #2

Re: Canon E.O.S.50E

[QUOTE=taddy;1205031]As we have plenty of camera savvy poeple on Accy Web, could someone tell me if it is possible to buy an adaptor for my Canon E.O.S. 35mm film camera to enable me to use my lenses if I buy an E.O.S digital camera body.

The lenses that I already own, a 28/70. a 70/300 and a 500 mm fixed will all fit my son in laws digital Canon camera but the electronic systems will not work.

Any advice would be appreaciated.

What ! No takers amongst all the (so called),tech/ camera, savvy people on the Accy Web.
Old 27-11-2017, 18:16   #3
Beacon of light

Would love to be able to help, but my camera's have all been either Nikon or
Lumix.
I think perhaps Gremlin, Gpick, or Ryewolf would be your best bets for technical information.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 19:04   #4
Senior Member+

I can’t help either Margaret.
I’m a dedicated Nikon man.
I know Nikon SLR lenses from way back will fit today’s DSLR’s but as far as Cannon is concerned I’ve no idea.
Old 27-11-2017, 19:23   #5

Thank you for trying to help, I shall maybe have to call into a dedicated camera shop.
Regards, Taddy.
Old 27-11-2017, 20:47   #6
Senior Member+

Hi Taddy.
I’ve been doing a bit of research regarding your Camera and lens.
Yes it is possible to get an adapter for the Cannon.
I’m not sure if they have the through electrical connection though which keys you use auto features.
I think you are better off popping into Wilkinsons Cameras in Burnley.
I find them very obliging.
Old 28-11-2017, 10:33   #7
Senior Member+

I`m not 100% sure but I don`t think an adapter will help if they already fit the camera, I`ve bought a few old lenses off ebay for my camera (Sony) and whether the autofocus works or not seems to depend more on the lens firmware.
Best bet as already suggested is to take them into a camera shop and ask if they`ll test them.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 16:45   #8
Senior Member+

I’ve just re-read your post Taddy and I’d missed the bit where you said your lenses fit your sons DSLR.
In that case I agree with gpick that an adapter will not be needed.
Some lens have built in auto focus and others rely on motors in the body.
That’s the case with Nikon’s. All lenses fit all bodies but not all auto focus on older cameras.
They still work in manual mode though.
Old 28-11-2017, 18:27   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That’s the case with Nikon’s. All lenses fit all bodies but not all auto focus on older cameras.
They still work in manual mode though.
That`s a very good point Gremlin, most likely the reason it`s not working.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 20:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
That`s a very good point Gremlin, most likely the reason it`s not working.
Thank you all for taking the time to look into and reply to my question, I think my best bet is as you say, to take my entire kit and caboodle, (think that's spelt right), into a camera shop and see what they can come up with.
Thanks again, Taddy.
Old 29-11-2017, 01:17   #11
Full Member+

I have a Canon EOS 35mm film camera and all the newer EF mount lens work - ie auto focus etc - on both my dslr and film camera, however it might be different using very old Canon lenses as they might not have the electronic contacts.

That said I have EF lenses that I got with my film camera in 2003 that work perfectly well with my Canon DSLR. Have a look at the front and rear of each lenses if it says EF on the front and has a set of 7 gold contacts on the rear it should work ok (autofocus etc).

They will all work using completely manual mode regardless...

Last edited by Ryewolf90; 29-11-2017 at 01:20.
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 18:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
I have a Canon EOS 35mm film camera and all the newer EF mount lens work - ie auto focus etc - on both my dslr and film camera, however it might be different using very old Canon lenses as they might not have the electronic contacts.

That said I have EF lenses that I got with my film camera in 2003 that work perfectly well with my Canon DSLR. Have a look at the front and rear of each lenses if it says EF on the front and has a set of 7 gold contacts on the rear it should work ok (autofocus etc).

They will all work using completely manual mode regardless...
Thank you for the above.
Taddy
Old 12-08-2019, 10:42   #13
Junior Member+

Canon E O S 50E

I think the Canon 55-250mm might be a better choice because it has image stabalization IS.
Ive never owned either of them, but I did have a Sigma 70-300mm and it was very hard to hand-hold without IS.
Kamfluelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:09   #14

Thank you

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..