Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2006, 13:24   #1

Do I Need A Tv Licence

Over the last 4 months or so the major discussions with friends and family have been, do I need a TV Licence, Well after having a lot of dealings with BBC TV Licensing (Capita) I can tell you that you do not need a TV Licence just for owning 1or10 televisions you only need a TV Licence, If you Use (Please note the word use ) a Television to receive any broadcast programmes, you do not need a TV Licence if you use your TV as a monitor for a Computer, CCTV or a games consol, BUT TV Licensing officers will do their best to convince you that you do need a TV Licence if you own a Television.

Now lets talk about BBC Licensing (Capita) Capita are the company authorised to collect the Licence Fee, their officers are the ones that knock on your door if you do not have a valid TV Licence and will try and convince you that you do need a TV Licence if you own a Television, Remember you do not need a TV Licence just for owning a Television.
What powers do TV Licensing Officers have, the simple answer to that question is: None.
You do not have to talk to them, you do not need to sign anything.
And They have no right to enter you home, (you can also take away their right to enter any part of your property, including your garden path.) this part can be answered at a later date if need be.
There have been documented cases were BBC Licensing (capita) have tried to intimidate occupants in their own Homes, used threatening behaviour and also make force statements, Remember TV Licensing have no more powers than the milkman.
If you need to ask a question regarding the need for a TV licence you can go to www.tvlicensing.biz this forum can answer most if not all of your questions
regarding TV Licensing .

Ron Sinclair (thejokerman)
thejokerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2006, 18:08   #2

Red face Re: Do I Need A Tv Licence

every one needs a tv licence its tight i think we pay for to much as it is

yogi bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 23:39   #3

Re: Do I Need A Tv Licence

this practice of tv licence's is out of date and well beyond any sort of justification

scrap the tv licence and make the bbc earn their money liek all the other channels do
wkd_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 06:34   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd_one
this practice of tv licence's is out of date and well beyond any sort of justification

scrap the tv licence and make the bbc earn their money liek all the other channels do
no the bbc should be free of advertising. the tv licence is well justified.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 08:56   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
The BBC is full of adverts for there own services and programs.
What is wrong is that you pay money for Sky TV and Cable and you still get adverts.
Old 26-04-2006, 11:07   #6

sky one can take a 40 min program like stratrek generations and fill the rest of the hour with adsverts

considering how much we have to pay for subscription i do think they take the pee a little with how many adverts they have and how frequent they are during the tv shows

oh and skyone for example is actualy worse than the bbc for repeats and quite often run the exact same episodes of malcom in the middle and the simpsons the day after at the same time infact the more i think about it the more i think sky is a huge rip off

edit:

bear in mind you can cancel your cable/sky tv unlike the tv licence which is compulsary purchase of a service you dont want simply because your tv is capable of picking up a particular broadcast , they should make tv's that are unable to recieve bbc broadcasts so that you dont have to pay for their service

Last edited by wkd_one; 26-04-2006 at 13:04.
Old 26-04-2006, 14:07   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

wkd_one - I have read several of your posts and you do seem to get very excited, especially for only a junior+ member
Old 26-04-2006, 17:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
wkd_one - I have read several of your posts and you do seem to get very excited, especially for only a junior+ member
keep practicing and you will soon be able to read them all
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57   #9

How to stop TV Licensing knocking on your door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[your name & address]

TV Licensing,
Bristol.
BS98 1TL

Dear Sir or Madam:

With regard to your TV licence renewal notification, I can inform you that I no longer require a TV licence. There is no equipment installed or used at this address that is capable of receiving broadcast TV programmes. I state this in full awareness of the requirements set out in Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 on Licensing of TV Reception: also, I am fully aware of the requirements on TV licensing set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004.

You are invited to reply to this letter in acknowledgement that I have informed you of my legal position. My stated legal position is that there is no TV receiving equipment installed or used at [my address]: as a consequence, I do not require to have a TV licence for this address.

I expect no further correspondence from you apart from a reply to this letter. In particular, I do not expect to receive from you, reminders that this address is unlicensed. Furthermore, I do not expect to receive from you, correspondence suggesting that I might be using TV receiving equipment at this address requiring investigation by TV Licensing Enforcement Officers.

In addition, there is considerable mention that TV Licensing Enforcement Officers call at (TV) unlicensed addresses and aggressively investigate the situation at these addresses in the belief that there is TV licence evasion at the address. I will not tolerate any visit by a TV Licensing Enforcement Officer at my address. Therefore, I withdraw from TV Licensing, its employees and its agents, the implied right of access to my property at [my address]. Henceforth, no employee or agent of TV Licensing qualifies as an invitee to my property. Any such person who ventures onto my property at [my address], will be trespassing on my land, and I shall not hesitate to seek legal redress for the offence caused.

I hope that I have made my position clear.

Signed,

[your name]
Old 09-05-2006, 21:51   #10
God Member

did read something along the lines that not only the BBC but SKY ect were putting cases together in the EU courts about banning free to view Tv through your pc like online stuff ( there's lots out there and its growing) its all about copyrights, they want to impose a sort of computer licence but that must be along time away..but could happen
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 21:53   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
yep BBC is the best value for money
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 22:20   #12
Always EVIL within us

Until my marriage to Willow, I spent a year in rented accomodation. Willow "nicked" my T.V. (Most of my time was spent round her house anyway) so I wrote to the appropriate authorities and informed them that I no longer possessed a T.V. and was surprised to receive a letter acknowledging that fact and that they would contact me again in 18 months time!

It could well be that the dreaded "detector" van may well have come up my street, but if it did, I was unaware of it.

In my letter. I asked about radios as I had heard that not only household radios were covered by the TV license but also radios fitted into cars belonging to the occupants but they seemed unconcerned about this.

Do YOU have a radio in your house jokerman?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:55   #13
Resting in peace

I think you will find, Jokerman, that you need a TV licence if you have equipment that is CAPABLE of receiving a TV signal. We don't have one, but we have been badgered in the past by the Licensing Authority who went so far as to virtually accuse us of lying, by saying they would come round to check. Needless to say, they were not let in. It seems to have quietened down now, after 3 phone calls and several letters, but if it starts again I will certainly use the draft letter, for which, thanks.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18   #14

Quote:
Busman747
In my letter. I asked about radios as I had heard that not only household radios were covered by the TV license
The law states that you do not need a Licence if you use a radio at home or in your car.

And yes I do have a radio.

Quote:
Pendy

I think you will find, Jokerman, that you need a TV licence if you have equipment that is CAPABLE of receiving a TV signal
No you do not need a TV Licence just for owning a TV or 10 TVs, I am typing this on a LCD TV, its used as a pc monitor and I have a LCD TV in my living room just for DVDs and I don’t have a TV Licence, if you look at my picture you will see on the right, But TVL (capita) will tell you that you do need a TV Licence and they will send round there bully boys, you can find out all about TV Licensing on a very good forum www.tvlicensing.biz I have been fighting TVL (Capita) for a very long time and also taken one of there so called Officers (bully boys) to court and won the case, He lost his job.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58   #15

Apparently the BBC has been breaking the law by hosting shows and events featuring live music at their Television Centre in West London

The BBC has appealed to staff to make up the numbers in studio audiences after it found it was breaking the law by hosting shows at Television Centre.
E-mails have been sent to staff asking them to form the studio audiences for shows such as Top of the Pops.
Television studios need to be licensed if the public is admitted to events featuring live music.
The corporation is in the process of obtaining a premises licence to cover the complex in west London.
The situation emerged after a Red Hot Chili Peppers show held in the forecourt of Television Centre last month, as part of a recording for Top of the Pops.
Public entertainment
The 2003 Licensing Act, which came into force last year, requires some public entertainment to be licensed.
At the time of the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert, the BBC said it had originally been advised that it did not require a licence. Studio audiences have been admitted to the building since it opened in 1960.
But following discussions with Hammersmith and Fulham Council, the local authority which covers Television Centre, it has been advised that a licence was necessary.
A BBC statement said most programme production at the Shepherd's Bush complex would continue as usual.
"The majority of BBC programmes will be entirely unaffected but we may need to make some changes to a few studio shows involving audiences," it said.
But staff members are being asked to make up the studio audience for shows such as Top of the Pops and Strictly Dance Fever until the situation is resolved.
"We're asking for your help, and also hoping we can offer you some fun at the same time," director general Mark Thompson told staff in an e-mail.
Audience helpline
A Department for Culture, Media and Sport spokesperson said the situation was not down to new laws.
She said: "Some types of entertainment in front of public audiences have needed to be licensed since at least 1963 in London and 1982 in the rest of the country.
"The Licensing Act 2003 has not changed that. Whether or not a licence is required in any particular set of circumstances is rightly a matter for the local licensing authority."
Members of the public due to attend shows at Television Centre in May are advised to call the corporation's information helpline on 0208 576 1743.

There is the link to that story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4762783.stm

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..