Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33   #91
Senior Member+

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Hi Robyn, will have to send the family details (as written in the newspaper) later today. The chappie who sent the photo to The Observer was Mr Walton E Barnes (I know he is def one of "yours") of Saanichton, British Columbia, Canada. The gentleman who mention in a thread from 2006 MUST be the son.
The photo is classed as a "gem".
The famous Henry-Fox Talbot only developed his first photograph negatives in 1841. This photo is thought to be dated 1856 and if so, is recognised as being one of the earliest known photographs ever taken in Accrington! How about that!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47   #92

Wow, I think my copy came originally from Walton.....via a UK cousin. Of course haven't got the original, but fascinating, thanks again Aratah.

Walton died in 1999 in BC.........
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Good answer but not the one I am looking for.

There are a lot of large houses either side of the road from Oakleigh to the Greyhound pub some with very large gardens.
The outside face on Whalley Road was very deceptive, it is a lot bigger than people think, if I remember rightly it was always painted white
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56   #94
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Gertrude Lawrence was an actress. Gertrude Jekyll was the landscape architect .
Bob Had to smile at myself this morning when I saw your email your perfectly right I got my Gerties mixed up.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:31   #95
Senior Member+

Hi Robyn, right! If you have the photo, does that mean you know the details of all on the photo and further details about who some of them married? Pointless duplicating things, unless ... you never know, some of our Accywebbers may also be connected to this Barnes family?
Old 08-05-2013, 16:48   #96
Senior Member+

I'm sure Barnsie knows this, but others may not know that it was a ? Barnes who was the prime mover in the drive to get Accrington its own (council) cemetery. It was the same man who was in fact the first to be buried in it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39   #97
Senior Member+

This is from a 1939 newspaper - "subsequently owing to the death of Mrs Jonathan Barnes, her residence, Dyke Nook, came onto the market, and in the wisdom of the Council, though not without opposition, it was thought desirable to acquire the property for the purpose of continuing the road widening in Whalley Road. The committee also had in mind the widening of Ribblesdale Avenue, which would give a better and more dignified entrance to the Laneside Estate, and also the provision of a more convenient bus waiting-room, and better facilities for the transport service. These, then, were the primary reasons for the acquisition of the property, Mr Duckworth went on (he was Chairman of the Highways and General Works Committee). The problem then arose as to the development of the remainder of the site. Some desired it should be retained as a garden site, others as a building site, but the idea of a garden, fortunately, prevailed and he thought that decision had been generally approved, particularly since the completion of the scheme. So Robyn, must be nice to know we still have land that your ancestors were once connected with!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:47   #98
Senior Member+

At the time of the opening of the gardens there was two inscribed memorial panels on the pillars of the entrance gates. The inscription on one of them read "Borough of Accrington. This garden was formed by the Corporation of Accrington, on the site of the house previously known as "Dyke Nook" with substantial financial assistance from Messrs. R W KENYON, W H KENYON and Miss MARION KENYON in remembrance of their sisters, Mrs JONATHAN BARNES who lived at Dyke Nook for many years and Miss S L KENYON, who served as a Magistrate for a considerable period". The other tablet was inscribed to the effect that the garden was opened by the Mayor.
Old 13-05-2013, 05:22   #99

Hi Atarah,

Thanks for this great information. I don't seem to have it, although yes, I think I have everyone in the photograph....
But just in case,
Joseph & Ann Barnes (nee Singleton), children Joseph, Elizabeth, Ashworth, James, Jonathan and Ellen Ann.

At the time Jonathan Barnes's wife Mary Adeline nee Keynon died it was April 1936.....Jonathan died in 1927 and both are buried in St. James Altham.

I didn't have Mary Adeline's Keynon family though, on the "still to do" list...

Cheers,
Robyn
Old 13-05-2013, 05:34   #100

Hi Bob,

You have me wondering now......was it William Barnes d. 1866 that was the first buried in the Accrington Cemetery??
A lot were buried in Altham and Church too......
I can't just pick which one, perhaps you can help please?

Cheers,
Robyn
Old 13-05-2013, 05:56   #101
Senior Member+

The first occupant of the cemetery was William Barnes of Accrington House, who was buried 10th October 1864 aged 48. As there was no Accrington newspaper at this time, his burial will likely be found in the Blackburn papers. These are available on-line. PM me if you don't know how to search them
Joseph Barnes of Dyke Nook died Jan 1878 aged 67, His death will likely be in the Accrington Times, available in Accrington Library
Old 13-05-2013, 06:23   #102

Thanks Bob, yes that's right.....William Barnes died 1864, son of Thomas and Jenny.
I have so many and two sep. trees at present....Should merge them together, but have been needing to prove each branch as I go......a long process, but worth doing properly.

Yes, Joseph of Dyke Nook died 1878 and is buried St. James Altham with his wife and many other Barnes family members.

Cheers,
Robyn
Old 13-05-2013, 08:19   #103
Senior Member+

Next you should get into the tree of the Barneses who owned the land off Abbey Street and gave their name to Barnes St.
Old 13-05-2013, 10:24   #104

If you know which branch I could start with, that would be very interesting.

How far back was Barnes Street named is the question........

There were a few well known business and Church identities in and around Accrington William Barnes as above, being one.....he was born in 1816 in Accrington, early enough?
The New Jerusalemite Church was in Abbey St., I think too.
A number of them belonged to that establishment....

It is rather late here, so I shall look through my data more, tomorrow.
Cheers,
Robyn
Old 14-05-2013, 03:31   #105

I have in my possession a copy of the Accrington Jubilee Souvenir 1878 to 1928........within it shows two plans of the area 1849 and 1928.

In the 1849 plan Barnes St. is not shown. It appears to have been perhaps a laneway leading off Abbey Street, opposite Blackburn Road/Street.
So as it is definitely there in 1928, I would guess that perhaps Barnes Street was named after William Barnes, who lived in Accrington House and died in 1864. The 1849 plan shows this estate as entering from what was Whalley Road, near Abbey Street.
"A man of some prominence was Mr. William Barnes. Engaged in cotton, he and his partner, Mr. Lang Bridge, built Park Mill about 1861 and there carried on the manufacture of fancy dress materials.
Mr. Barnes was an active member of the New Church, holding many important offices. He was a member of the Local Board of Health and also a member of the Burial Board during the formation of the Cemetery. He was a strong advocate for a cemetery and, strange to relate, he was the first to be interred there October 10, 1864."

So Bob, if you can find something else, which seems to fit the bill more clearly, please let me know........
As well, I would dearly love to make contact with any of my Barnes descendants, so far, very few seem to be around or at least, interested in Family History.
Cheers,
Robyn

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..