Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 11:50   #1
Junior Member+

Question Pearl House

Met a bloke in Kingston, Ontario, Canada who also came from Accrington. He said when he was young he lived at the top of Pearl Street, in a large house called PEARL HOUSE. I don't remember it, does anyone?
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pearl House

dont remember it being top of pearl street,thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies? at that time in the 60s i lived at black annies on birtwistle street and was known to associate with a young lady from the said establishment.lol maybe time has dimmed the brain cells but i'm sure that was pearl houe.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:17   #3
Resting in Peace

I can't remember exactly where it was Cashman, but definitely rings a bell, always thought was summat to do with the Pearl Assurance company ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:23   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I can't remember exactly where it was Cashman, but definitely rings a bell, always thought was summat to do with the Pearl Assurance company ?
i'm not known to gamble katex but i'll put ackers on it being where i said- unless someone on accyweb knows differant.lol
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28   #5
Junior Member+

He said he lived there with his Grandparents, and the railway ran behind the house. He said it would shake the house when a train past. Just curious as we lived in Holland Street from 1965-1976, then we came to Canada.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybow
He said he lived there with his Grandparents, and the railway ran behind the house. He said it would shake the house when a train past. Just curious as we lived in Holland Street from 1965-1976, then we came to Canada.
Well, that would tie in with Pearl Street, railway line ran across the top. Feel like Cashman though, somebody will remember. Mick .. go and take a look next time you passing.
Old 10-06-2006, 17:54   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies?
Why did I not know about this? Damn! Missed out again!
Old 10-06-2006, 18:55   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

think ive got it wrong birtwistle street was holly house i think. its a long time ago, which makes me feel positivley ancient.lol and wyn you missed it cos you didn't know me.
Old 10-06-2006, 19:05   #9
Resting in Peace

Is Pearl Street still standing anyway ... part of the Project Phoenix, aint it ??
Old 10-06-2006, 19:09   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Is Pearl Street still standing anyway ... part of the Project Phoenix, aint it ??
Nah, its all gone round there now

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 20:19   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
and wyn you missed it cos you didn't know me.
I'm sure the 60's would have swung a lot more if I'd been knocking round with you, Mr C!
Old 10-06-2006, 21:42   #12
Senior Member+

I lived in Holland Street from around 1959 until 1970 and I must admit that this Pearl House does ring a bell. I'll need to sleep on it though, but he could be right.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybow View Post
Met a bloke in Kingston, Ontario, Canada who also came from Accrington. He said when he was young he lived at the top of Pearl Street, in a large house called PEARL HOUSE. I don't remember it, does anyone?
Best man for history is Bob Dobson, but Pearl House was at the top of Pearl St in its own grounds. There was a large underground tunnel from Pearl House grounds leading into Lonsdale St. Possibly part of the old Andersons Boiler works at the top of Newark St.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 20:09   #14
Senior Member+

Pearl House was a fine house at the top of Pearl St, by the railway. I don't know which came first, but suspect that Street pre-dated Pearl House, though such a house may have had another name before the street came. The Andersons did oiccupy another house called something like Boiler Works House. They ( Alfred initially) was a boiler maker with a factory in what was probably Newark St. In 1861, there were only 54 ladies called Pearl in census. None were Peels or Steiners. Possbily, but I think unlikely, the Pearl Loan Co ( later Pearl Assurance) might have funded the building of the street or the house. I am sceptical on all tunnels.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 13:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont remember it being top of pearl street,thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies? at that time in the 60s i lived at black annies on birtwistle street and was known to associate with a young lady from the said establishment.lol maybe time has dimmed the brain cells but i'm sure that was pearl houe.
Was that not Holly House? I remember it from the early 70's, a couple of my friends rented rooms there.... although they weren't 'wayward', just short of somewhere to live.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..