Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2015, 10:57   #2491
Full Member+

Re: weather??

Sorry, wrong thread, whoops.
Old 08-02-2016, 14:28   #2492
Senior Member+

Why are folk humanising the weather?
"Barney","Steve" and now "Imogen" these are some of the names put forward for our recent weather conditions.
It may just be me,but there does seem to be more "storms" since they started naming the ruddy things.
To be quite Frank,I've had more than my Phil of this wet weather.
The wind isn't constant but the gusts are frightening,it's put a dampener on my day...

...The Met office have come up with a "name our storms" project if anyone has a suggestion.

Gusty Gordon,windy Whizz,lightening Less,damp gusset Dave,mesoscale Margaret and wet shower explorer are all names I Imogen won't make it to the short list.
davemac and Turtle like this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:48   #2493
Beacon of light

I don't like the naming of storms either. Maybe because it is something the Yanks do.
I was supposed to be taking Ma for her diabetic review today, but I very gently suggested that it was a day where she might end up blown away, wet through and chilled to the marrow.
So we didn't go. It isn't sensible to venture out into inclement weather unless you absolutely have to.
As for Mesoscale Margaret...well I would have preferred meteoric, but ah well..if I have to be middling, then so be it.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 20:33   #2494
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Bluddy awful" is about the only name really suitable for the lousy weather.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 09-02-2016, 14:20   #2495
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
"Bluddy awful" is about the only name really suitable for the lousy weather.
Yes,I agree,more appropriate names are needed

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27   #2496
Senior Member+

Record high temperatures are contributing to a massive forest fire in Fort McMurray Northern B.C. has made 80,000 people flee their homes, never seen anything like it, houses are shells, trucks and cars just shells, my daughter who works in an oil camp there just phoned to say they are just being bused to Edmonton. It,s like watching a movie seeing all the vehicles driving through the burning forests, very scary and no rain forcast until Monday. Thankfully no injuries though.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:34   #2497
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Record high temperatures are contributing to a massive forest fire in Fort McMurray Northern B.C. has made 80,000 people flee their homes, never seen anything like it, houses are shells, trucks and cars just shells, my daughter who works in an oil camp there just phoned to say they are just being bused to Edmonton. It,s like watching a movie seeing all the vehicles driving through the burning forests, very scary and no rain forcast until Monday. Thankfully no injuries though.
Those poor folks in Alberta are having a rough time of it with that freaky weather ... and they had that massive flooding back in '13. Weather out on the prairies and areas up toward the shield can be real scary. All we can hope for is that the fire will burn itself out, and that nobody will be hurt. Canadian firefighters and emergency response teams are world class. And we are lucky in the sense that the damage will be limited to property

Down here around the Great Lakes weather has been cool, damp and miserable ... kinda like the Clayton weather I remember...

I know what you mean about "watching a movie" ... more and more of the world's weather seems like something out of a disaster movie ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04   #2498
Beacon of light

Quote:
I hope everyone stays safe.
Houses and trucks can be replaced...those we love cannot.

We have been in Australia when they have had forest fires(firestorms) and seen the devastation they cause.
Strangely though, communities seem to rally together and be made stronger by such adversity.
My thoughts are with all those who are affected.
Man likes to feel he has control, but in truth Mother nature will always have the last word.
Old 06-05-2016, 00:25   #2499
Senior Member+

Unfortunately this forest fire was not started by mother nature it had human help.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:48   #2500

Quote:
Unfortunately this forest fire was not started by mother nature it had human help.
Like 95% of the fires we have here have human help.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:33   #2501
Beacon of light

Quote:
Yes, as Dotti says, Much the same in Oz.
Although Mother Nature doesn't start it she sometimes helps it along a bit with winds that fan the flames.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..