Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2007, 00:35   #31

Re: Family Tree.

I started researching a couple of weeks ago and I am using Legacy for recording my findings.

There's free version available at

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

and you might want to consider dowloading Geneology Finder at

http://www.town-local.net/genfinder/

Also take a look at the Great Harwood Geneology site at

http://www.arrodgen.org/ for tips, resources and useful links.

There's also a Yahoo Group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arrodgen/
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2007, 13:37   #32
Beacon of light

Katex...i had seen that session at Clayton Library, but unfortunately can't attend as i have to take Ma for some tests...maybe they will run it again if the demand is high enough.....I hope so.

Thanks Flashman for the tips.....I will try some of those sites.
I haven't been able to do much over the last week, but will get going again soon.

Flashman are you finding it addictive too?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 17:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Flashman are you finding it addictive too?
Yup it is really interesting and I'm amazed at how complex it can be. For instance

1) The User Manual for the Legacy software is 400 pages which is bigger than most applications like Word etc.

2) There's limitations for online research. I'm in Canada and trying to track my family's history in Great Harwood is tricky cos there's not too many Censuses on line.

3) You have to make some assumptions cos

- There's no divorce records online so spouses may change from census to census.

- Some of the handwiting can be undecipherable with spelling mistakes for the written records and you may have to tinker with the brightness and contrast with your image viewer.
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 19:45   #34
Beacon of light

Flashman, you could try the Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths site....this may help you find who you are looking for...and it is free.....Try
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Also you can access some of the birth, marriage and death records via Ancestry.com......they have a free 14 day trial on at present....don't know what kind of access this gives....you may be able to access some census records.
Hope these tips help you out a little bit......if I find anything else i will pm you with it.
Old 18-05-2007, 19:47   #35
Beacon of light

Oh, I should have said that the Lancashire BMD site is transcibed by voluteers and so it can be a bit patchy in it's coverage (datewise)...but it is definitely worth a look. You might be lucky.
Old 20-05-2007, 01:21   #36
God Member

my step brother has done our family tree and hes gone back to the 1800s
i have a box upstairs with about 10 folders in it, and its really interesting to read, although i will never do or carry it on its great because one of my children/grandchildren may wish to so they can pick up from where my step bro left ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 21:05   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeVarender View Post
One of the best sites is Find my past.com,you have to pay but you can get a fiver and go from there, if any one wants anything looking up let me know I am a member of Find my past and Ancestry.co.uk and so can look for free,I have been doing my family tree and many others for over 20 years
looking for infor on dinah chippendale 1901 was at 99 market street aged 10 and i think her mother was dinah as well aged 50 then on 1911 she was widowed and lived 118 chorley road blackrod any more info on he above would be grateful
cherryl richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:59   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
Yup it is really interesting and I'm amazed at how complex it can be. For instance

1) The User Manual for the Legacy software is 400 pages which is bigger than most applications like Word etc.

2) There's limitations for online research. I'm in Canada and trying to track my family's history in Great Harwood is tricky cos there's not too many Censuses on line.

3) You have to make some assumptions cos

- There's no divorce records online so spouses may change from census to census.

- Some of the handwiting can be undecipherable with spelling mistakes for the written records and you may have to tinker with the brightness and contrast with your image viewer.
One way to decypher writing on screen is to use a piece of tissue paper, and go over the word you want
with a pencil, this will eliminate the loops from above, & below, then you will see the word, without fiddling with contrast etc.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 15:04   #39
God Member

My mum has been doing her dad's side of the family, he was brought up on Rockmount and was called Croston - she has found out all sorts of things from different family members like her one remaining aunt and various cousins. She has been sent some wonderful photos, documents and letters which are real eye-openers. I personally have kept the 24 letters my grand-dad wrote to me when i moved out to Italy at first -they cover the period between Sept 1988-May 1993 (he was a prolific writer!). They now read as a family saga -it was the time when I, My sister and our cousin all had our children so the letters describe day to day life of all my family, who was up to what and where, the price of things, comments about local and national elections and just the details of everyday living on Exchange Street, where my Grandparents lived for over 45 years, and Cranbourne Drive, where I was brought up and my mum and dad still lived. it's surprising what people put away and forget about so do try asking family members for letters etc. you may be surprised what they can come up with...

Last edited by mobertol; 09-08-2011 at 15:07. Reason: Adding a surname!
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:21   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
My mum has been doing her dad's side of the family, he was brought up on Rockmount and was called Croston - she has found out all sorts of things from different family members like her one remaining aunt and various cousins. She has been sent some wonderful photos, documents and letters which are real eye-openers. I personally have kept the 24 letters my grand-dad wrote to me when i moved out to Italy at first -they cover the period between Sept 1988-May 1993 (he was a prolific writer!). They now read as a family saga -it was the time when I, My sister and our cousin all had our children so the letters describe day to day life of all my family, who was up to what and where, the price of things, comments about local and national elections and just the details of everyday living on Exchange Street, where my Grandparents lived for over 45 years, and Cranbourne Drive, where I was brought up and my mum and dad still lived. it's surprising what people put away and forget about so do try asking family members for letters etc. you may be surprised what they can come up with...
Got a couple of Croston's in my files.
Albert served in the R.A.M.C. &
William who served in the R.G.A.
49 Whalley Rd, Altham.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:08   #41
Senior Member+

Hello Cherryl, not sure how much info you have so hopefully this is of use.
Dinah Griffiths born 1850 in Manchester married John Whitehead 1870 in Manchester. They had 3 children, Mary A. born 1873, James born 1875 and Margaret born 1878. John Whitehead possibly died 1887 in Adlington. Dinah Whitehead then married Thomas Chippendale {born 1851 Kendal** in 1890 in Chorley. They had four children, Margaret Elizabeth born 1883, James born 1885, Jane born 1886 and Dinah born 1891. Margaret Elizabeth married Thomas Charnock in 1906 at St Pauls Adlington, James married Ellen Devine 1906 in Chorley, Jane married Henry Wilkinson 1910 St Pauls Adlington, Dinah married William Makinson 1915 St David Haigh, Wigan/Leigh. All of this is from a quick check and will have to be proven, hope it is of some use, Bryan.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Got a couple of Croston's in my files.
Albert served in the R.A.M.C. &
William who served in the R.G.A.
49 Whalley Rd, Altham.
Retlaw.
Thanks -will pass this on to my mum (she is Callaoanne on Accyweb, formerly Aromaanne!), maybe she'll contact you.... I know my great-grandfather had a brother called William so it could be a link -don't think mum has ever mentioned an Albert -but the families were very big in those days!
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47   #43
mez
God Member

my cousin has done our family tree got back to 1690, found some cousins still alive & had 3 e-mails today from 2nd cousin in canada oooooooooo they seem to be coming out of the woodwork. it is hard work but very rewarding too.........lots of patience is really needed.
Old 11-08-2011, 17:50   #44
Senior Member+

Your right Mez, interesting and rewarding. I just found some direct relatives from my gt.gt.gt grandad who live a couple of hundred miles south of us in Washington State. A meeting is on the cards. Quite brilliant I think.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:17   #45
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryl richer View Post
looking for infor on dinah chippendale 1901 was at 99 market street aged 10 and i think her mother was dinah as well aged 50 then on 1911 she was widowed and lived 118 chorley road blackrod any more info on he above would be grateful
I an a relative of Dinah chippendale her daughter which she had out of Wed lock in 1911 was my grandmother then she married twice after giving my grandmother away I think she had four more children.
gocherryl63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..