Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Question Absent parents

Should absent parents be named and shamed?

If proposals go through parliament, C-MEC could publicly name and shame, remove passports, impose curfews and even take money direct from absent parents' bank accounts if they refuse to pay.
Do you think this is fair?....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:13   #2
God Member

Re: Absent parents

It's fair, but it's also a load of cobblers that they will do it. They say they are only going to name people who have already been prosecuted. Why should they name and shame them, if they still haven't complied they should be behind bars.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:18   #3
God Member

Naming and shaming is just usual New Labour headline grabbing gimmicks. I'm not to sure of the bill as a whole. It depends how "fair" the actual court ruling is, because as I understand most children stop with their mothers, but thats not really fair on the father because although its his child he has no way of making sure the money he is giving over is actually being spent on the child.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Naming and shaming is just usual New Labour headline grabbing gimmicks. I'm not to sure of the bill as a whole. It depends how "fair" the actual court ruling is, because as I understand most children stop with their mothers, but thats not really fair on the father because although its his child he has no way of making sure the money he is giving over is actually being spent on the child.
You sound like one of those absent fathers who would expect an itemised expense sheet for a maintenance claim
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42   #5
I am Banned

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS TOPIC!!

Funny this will come into force by 2013 - mmmmmmm my children will have grown up by then to 16 youngest
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

If proposals go through parliament, C-MEC could publicly name and shame, remove passports, impose curfews and even take money direct from absent parents' bank accounts if they refuse to pay.
Do you???????
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:08   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

In some circumstances, yes it would be fair to do any or all of the above but I'm not holding my breath that it will actually be enforced after the laughable way the CSA went about things. In my case my ex gave up his job just as they were sorting through the case and so was told he didn't have to pay anything for his 2 kids but that it would be reviewed after two years - that was in 1998 - and guess what, it was never reviewed so he hasn't paid a penny to them in 9 years. At one point he offered me £5 a week, I told him to pay it into the boys own accounts (that would answer your point Cyfr) but guess what - it never materialised. So, yes if it could be made to work it would be good
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:16   #8
God Member

The sort of people who have no morals or compassion to support their children are hardly going to bother about being named and shamed anyway.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The sort of people who have no morals or compassion to support their children are hardly going to bother about being named and shamed anyway.
That's very true unfortunately
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:47   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think its another stupid gimmick, deduct child maintainance from wages/benefits job sorted.
Old 07-06-2007, 17:53   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think its another stupid gimmick, deduct child maintainance from wages/benefits job sorted.

I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-06-2007, 19:08   #12
Resident Waffler

Has naming and shaming ever solved anything?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 19:47   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Has naming and shaming ever solved anything?
doubtful,some would regard it as a badge of honour, as they do with tags,asbos, etc.
Old 07-06-2007, 20:18   #14
God Member

Quote:

That would mean government departments liasing with each other, lets keep it real please
Old 07-06-2007, 21:35   #15

Quote:
Works for people who are in PAYE bit of a difficulty for self employed. Personally I think that all acounts should be made available and this would stop the cash in had jobs paid into new partners account. and allow direct debits set up to the resident parent (not all non resident parents are blokes).

My wife's ex (after a big fight including the immortal quote from him "well they live with him now he should look after them" (or I've absolved my responsibilities thank f**k) is having his maintenance deducted from his benefit but then you rely on the company. It would be an improvement to include it in the tax then HMRC pay it.

Yes it does mean departments communicating but they do it at the moment with all benefits and tax credits and child benefit.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..