Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 15:39   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Would You Disclose Details?

A young man came to my door today. He showed me I D and a load of details about a lottery that is being set up by N W Air Ambulance Service. Everything seemed to be genuine so I said I would join the lottery. He then said they don't accept cheques, cash or credit cards but only Direct Debit. He wanted me to complete a D D form giving him details of my bank account. I told him there is no way I give out those details on my doorstep and, in that case, I was unable to take part.

While I know about the Air Ambulance and I'm often willing to donate to charities and good causes I am surprised that they expect these kind of details to be given to a casual caller. Do you agree or am I just over-cautious?
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2007, 15:41   #2

Re: Would You Disclose Details?

i agree never trust anyone on your door step
Old 15-06-2007, 15:45   #3
God Member

Contact them direct and ask about it, if its genuine you'll be Ok but I'd join direct also not on the doorstep or someone who stops you in town.
Your not being over cautious

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 15:46   #4
I am Banned

You did right westender, they shouldnt ask u from the doorstep, besides even ID could be false, im sure the air ambulance would accept any kinds of donation as many other charities do, so cant understand direct debit only. I would get in contact with the air ambulance to tell them this as they may or maynot be aware of this & would give you confirmation either way, cos if this is a con job in their name then im sure they'd want to know about it!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 15:50   #5
God Member

They are doing a lottery, but this DOESN'T mean that the caller was genuine

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 16:18   #6

You don,t nowe who to trust at your door nower day dont let any one in with out i.d.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 16:24   #7
Resident Waffler

You give out your bank account details every time you issue a cheque to anyone.

Mind you it is wise to be cautious of anyone calling at the door. And I certainly wouldn't sign a direct debit form unless I was absolutely sure what it was.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 16:26   #8
Senior Member+

I wouldnt let anyone in my home unless I wanted them in, ID or not.

and defenatly would not give out bank details at the door step.
Old 15-06-2007, 16:27   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
You give out your bank account details every time you issue a cheque to anyone.
True, but you usually know who you are giving a cheque to.
Old 15-06-2007, 17:47   #10
Beacon of light

No I would not disclose details....I also think this type of canvassing for the Air Ambulance is out of order.....it puts you on the spot if you don't want to donate or participate in their lottery......and somehow when you say 'NO' you feel like a complete and utter heel.
I know the Air Ambulance is a good cause, but perhaps they should do their canvassing some other way....take a stall on the market, put adverts in the free papers etc.
I'm not mean, I just have my favourite charities and when you are on a fixed income you have to draw the line somewhere.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 17:48   #11

Sounds a bit iffy to me I pay £4 per month to North West Air Ambulance which is collected monthly either by cash or cheque. There was never pressure to pay by DD so as far as I know you can pay by cash unless they've changed the rules. I'd contact NWWA for their advice
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 19:00   #12
Give, give, give member

I think you did the right thing West Ender.

No one gets any of my details, except that I'm a Capricorn with a sunny disposition, and certainly not from an unsolicited call, either at the door or on the telephone.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 19:07   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i sometimes get charitys knocking at my door, and asking for card details or bank details to join!, as soon as they mention that i tell em NO, so you did the right thing, he could have been anybody!!
Old 15-06-2007, 20:30   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

except that I'm a Capricorn with a sunny disposition,

I'm a Capricorn too. We goats are a bit........businesslike, (suspicious of everyone and everything) aren't we?

I've emailed the Air Ambulance Service and told them I don't agree with this fund-raising tactic. I'll be interested to see their reply.
Old 16-06-2007, 09:10   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

You did the right thing Westender. There is no way that I will give out DD details on my doorstep. I don't agree with that kind of canvassing for charities and I know that the Air Ambulance is a good cause but there are more appropriate ways of earning money than door to door.

I basically won't donate to any charity which comes knocking on my door. I have donated a fair bit this year, I'm not mean just careful.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..