Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2008, 08:34   #151
God Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I have always been an avid reader and love books with a historical content where fictional characters are woven into fact. Alexander Kent's naval series staged in Napoleonic times featuring the fictional 'Richard Bolitho' a Cornishman who rises from a teenage midshipman to his death with the rank of Admiral over 23 books. The series is currently continuing with Richards's son 'Adam Bolitho' and I consider these books equal, if not superior to anything written by CS Forester or Patrick O Brien.

Love the Bolitho novels .... the kind of books you can read over and over, like Asimov's Foundation trilogy, but O Brien has to be the best of the three .... but that's only my humble colonial opinion
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2008, 20:34   #152

Just finished Dan Brown's Angels and demons. Also reading numerous theories of teaching and learning, teaching, ICT and pedagogy books. My head hurts, roll on Christmas when I finish my foundation degree.
Old 22-10-2008, 21:06   #153
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
pedagogy books.
I'd never heard that word before, I've just googled it now.

The art of being a teacher....styles of instruction.

That sounds very interesting.

Good luck with your degree.
Old 22-10-2008, 22:41   #154

Thank you. I know what you mean about the word pedagogy, I didn't know what it meant before I started this degree. Mind you different tutors pronounce it differently.
Old 22-10-2008, 23:56   #155
Give, give, give member

'Saint Sebastian: Or A Splendid Readiness For Death' by Louise Bourgeois.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 09:15   #156
God Member

Richard Laymon - Beware

Very good, fast read
Old 23-10-2008, 18:54   #157
Full Member+

Another good series currently into it's 3rd book is the Hawkwood Series by James McGee concerning the expoits of a Bow Street Runner. Titles are: Ratcatcher, Resurrectionist and Rapscallion. Good boys own stuff again with fictional characters woven into true events.

Last edited by Stumped; 23-10-2008 at 18:55. Reason: Spelling corrections
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 19:05   #158
God Member

i'm back to reading 'my booky wook'

have read three books whilst still reading that lol
Old 02-11-2008, 16:06   #159
Full Member+

Nobody reading any more? Recommend Simon Scarrow's series concerning the adventures of commencing with 'Under the Eagle' two Roman Legionaries and now into it's 8th sequel. Again fictional characters woven into actual campaigns which are h exciting and amusing at the same time.

Happy reading.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 19:29   #160
Senior Member+

I've just finished reading Dracula (another in my attempts to read some classics) and have just started Catcher in the Rye. It's nothing like I expected, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
Old 02-11-2008, 21:14   #161
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i'm back to reading 'my booky wook'

have read three books whilst still reading that lol
Lol, I had to read that really quickly, as someone asked for it as a present from me.

So it was a speedy read, and one where I had to remember not to turn down the corners of the pages, or sneeze on it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 22:08   #162
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Lol, I had to read that really quickly, as someone asked for it as a present from me.

So it was a speedy read, and one where I had to remember not to turn down the corners of the pages, or sneeze on it.

Hee hee, I've done that.

Trying to read the book without opening it properly so you won't crease the spine and the person you'll be giving it to will be able to tell you've read it!

It's not easy, is it?
Old 02-11-2008, 22:10   #163
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA i did that with a book that i bought Richard for Christmas last year
Old 02-11-2008, 22:11   #164
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA i did that with a book that i bought Richard for Christmas last year
That makes 3 of us now. LOL
Old 02-11-2008, 22:12   #165
God Member

pmsl , its not a good idea to eat chips with your fingers when reading the book either, greasy food marks arent good as a present

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..