Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2008, 09:58   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: accy pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
John Marsden is my cousin.
His mum, my godmother Margaret, died recently.
I've just PMd Eric about John, Margaret, he still goes in Ossy Con, infact he's on the committee, used to see him every week, but ain't been out much lately, have known John for over 50 years
Old 15-08-2008, 13:47   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does the Pioneer Working Men's Club not appear because it is in Church?
It still operates now when most others have closed
.................................................. .............................

That's the reason. My list is for the borough only. Church had a different police and set of magistrates.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 01:58   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Holy faeces .... you knew Wham ... and Johnny Marsden .... it is indeed a small world .... do the names Ray Barker, Sid Wright, Ian Wade ring a bell?

I've got dogs to walk, cats to feed, and grass to cut .... I'll PM you later if that's ok.
Was Ray Barker a bookie if so I Knew him well?
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 02:03   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And the world gets even smaller If this goes on I will be able walk over there, or at least take a bus
Gets any smaller Eric I will be disappearing up my own???
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 17:09   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Was Ray Barker a bookie if so I Knew him well?
That's Ray ... always a guy for the horses ... Ray, Sid and I used to hang around together .... Sid joined the Royal Marines, and the last I heard of Ray he was running a News Agents (somewhere on Blackburn Rd, I think) ... he was married and had twin girls ..... I was last in touch with him in the early 70s ... but lost contact ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 17:11   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Gets any smaller Eric I will be disappearing up my own???
With the world going to hell in a handbasket, that might be a good place to be
Old 17-08-2008, 19:03   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
PS need to modify last post - he is my cousin 'once removed'
His grandmother and my grandmother were sisters.
He was an usher at my first wedding
Was he the one selling ice cream?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 15:46   #53

Donald Vaughn, Billy Walmsley and Raymond Barker used to run their own chemistry lab in Billy's cellar using items recovered from various sources around Ossy. They were fairly successful building rockets until one blew up in Billy's face and burned off his eyebrows. Took them about a year to grow back in. Raymond went to work in a "Turf Accountants" on Union Street I think.
Donald lost his mother quite tragically when still at the grammar school. Raymond lost his dad in about the same time frame. Very sad. Was Ian Wade a Butcher?
I remember 3 card brag at Vaughn's as if it was yesterday.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 16:28   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
Donald Vaughn, Billy Walmsley and Raymond Barker used to run their own chemistry lab in Billy's cellar using items recovered from various sources around Ossy. They were fairly successful building rockets until one blew up in Billy's face and burned off his eyebrows. Took them about a year to grow back in. Raymond went to work in a "Turf Accountants" on Union Street I think.
Donald lost his mother quite tragically when still at the grammar school. Raymond lost his dad in about the same time frame. Very sad. Was Ian Wade a Butcher?
Ian Wade had the butchers shop at the corner of Park Road and Countess Street Accrington, can remember billy having the accident, I think his dad (Jack) band the experiments in he cerlar after that, Billy is a dentist, as a practise somewhere in East Anglia not far from Great Yarmouth, John Marsden used to go down there for a holiday each year and occasonally bill used to come this way and stayed with his brother, saw him a few years back in Ossy Con when he came in with John, before that hadn't seen him for years
Old 26-09-2008, 01:27   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
That's Ian ... It was his dad's butcher shop I believe ... he had an old black van, Austin I think, I can definately remember piling into that old jallopy. I remember when it was replaced by a new mini ... luxury. Ray left the bookies after he got married and had a newsagents (on Blackburn Rd, near the viaduct). His wife was ok., but on the only time I met her, she seemed like a real ball breaker. Enough rambling .....
Old 08-09-2011, 17:43   #56
Senior Member+

The Australian was so named because it was built in 1846 by a returning penal colonist with rubble from an adjacent stone viaduct.
Old 11-03-2012, 19:27   #57
Junior Member+

The Australian pub was at the bottom of Castle street must have been open in the early sixties fell of a stool was so sozzled when the piano was going. It was famous for the
30s murder by Bronco Bill when the other guy came down from the Slater's arms which was at the top of Broadway where those benchs are now, I think the the other chap was called Joe something or other. Bronco was sentenced to hang but saved the life of a warder in Strangeways and was reprieved. Wuddy
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:01   #58
Senior Member+

There's a photo of the Australian on page 86 of the book called 'Industry & Prudence; a plan for Accrington' It was taken from the railway viaduct c 1948. Put your nose close to the page and you can smell the river

Bronco was Bill Hodson. He killed Joe Hurley in 1934
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:13   #59
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's a photo of the Australian on page 86 of the book called 'Industry & Prudence; a plan for Accrington' It was taken from the railway viaduct c 1948. Put your nose close to the page and you can smell the river

Bronco was Bill Hodson. He killed Joe Hurley in 1934
I thowt tha were supposed to be sumat of a historian, little Joe Hurley were killed in 1935.
Joe Hurley served in the East Lancs in WW1, and won the M.M.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-03-2012 at 21:16.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 21:43   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Horseshoe "Thwaites House" was a good boozer back in day. First Landlord when i was goin yon was "Duggie" a dark chap who took oer the Mill Gap in Darren, Was a real good bloke went oer to see him a couple of times, After him Bob Sharples took it, another great bloke.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..