Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 13:59   #1

How bad is the credit crunch really affecting people?

I am just curious to know how bad things really are back home. Whenever I read the British papers it is very much doom and gloom. It seems that a lot of people have been affected with the credit crunch. I live in Canada and in my life I have become much more money conscious, my grocery bill being the most affected. It always surprises me though that my friends and family in England will say how awful it is but in the next sentence tell me of their holiday they have booked to Portugal for example.
Just interested in people's opinions on this.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2009, 14:14   #2
God Member

Re: How bad is the credit crunch really affecting people?

the only way the credit crunch has affected me is.....i cant find a damn job
Old 03-03-2009, 15:16   #3
Full Member+

It all depends on your circumstances and where you derive your income from. If you rely on bank interest for your living then you are not in a good position since the banking fairy seems to have spirited all the money away. I see many companies going under and wonder if this really is a result of recent events or have these failures been on the cards for a few years after existing on borrowed money. If you have some money in your pocket, there are some serious bargains to be had.

There are many questions to be asked regarding where all that money has gone and if it doesn't involve some serious corruption then I'll eat hay with a donkey but we will probably never know.

"You can't fool all the people all the time", I think you can - so prove me wrong.

You know all those £billions of missing money - I think I know where they are but please don't tell anyone - contact Mr. Howdoo Owarty (son of a former Nigerian banker) who has some enormous sums of money to give away to anyone daft enough to supply him with their bank details.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:20   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
the only way the credit crunch has affected me is.....i cant find a damn job
Ditto, its been 4 months now. I've never been out of work this long! Its really getting me down now!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:28   #5
God Member

I haven't had a holiday away for over 2 years, but I haven't been fit enough to go. (retirement is one long holiday)
The interest on savings used to finance one trip abroad per year, but not now, so I have been spending my nest egg on new appliances, and will be making that 'dream trip' when I get better. There is no point in saving anymore.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:36   #6
God Member

When people talk about struggling are things really that bad? I know people looking for work are having a hard time but how many people are going without? Personally I don't think things are as dire as they are made out. Lets be honest how many are going hungry, have had to give up their cars, internet and such like? You live according to your means
Old 03-03-2009, 15:51   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
When people talk about struggling are things really that bad? I know people looking for work are having a hard time but how many people are going without? Personally I don't think things are as dire as they are made out. Lets be honest how many are going hungry, have had to give up their cars, internet and such like? You live according to your means
Yes things really are that bad!!

I've already given up my home phone, virgin tv, going out, i havent had credit on my mobile for 3 months. I have kept my internet for job searching purposes.

When it gets to the point that you have to go begging to your parents so you can afford to buy your child a pack of nappies i dont think it can get any worse.

I'm permanantly in tears because i cant pay my debts, im going stir crazy not working, i've had to take my son out of nursery because i cant afford it anymore, his birthday is coming up and i'm getting stressed and worried because i'm not going to be able to afford to buy him anything.

If I dont get a job soon its only going to get worse and worse and I just cant see a way out of it. Theres no help or support and the job centre are useless!!
Old 03-03-2009, 16:22   #8

Wow Lolly I feel terrible for you. I assume that you get some sort of financial aid. It is not that I am naive it is I left England 21yrs ago and don't know what assistance people get who genuinley need it.Judging by some of the responses it seems depending on your financial status as well as what line of work you are in dictates to how this crisis affects you.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 16:31   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

I've already given up my home phone, virgin tv, going out, i havent had credit on my mobile for 3 months. I have kept my internet for job searching purposes.

When it gets to the point that you have to go begging to your parents so you can afford to buy your child a pack of nappies i dont think it can get any worse.

I'm permanantly in tears because i cant pay my debts, im going stir crazy not working, i've had to take my son out of nursery because i cant afford it anymore, his birthday is coming up and i'm getting stressed and worried because i'm not going to be able to afford to buy him anything.

If I dont get a job soon its only going to get worse and worse and I just cant see a way out of it. Theres no help or support and the job centre are useless!!
I think I remember you saying you worked in a pub, it's a terrible time for pubs isn't it? What happened? Did it close?

I really feel for you and hope you get something soon......if you're still after pub work try the new wine bar that's opening soon in Ossy.

We're hard up at the minute too as my husband is off work sick following an operation. He will have been off for 12 weeks and money is tighter now than it was before.

We buy more own brand products than we used to, hardly ever go out and will be staying in a friend's caravan for a week in July........it's that or nothing.

Try and keep your chin up though, things will improve....that's what I tell myself.
Old 03-03-2009, 16:39   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Really sorry to hear that.

You mentioned you'd applied for the job at the new wine bar, and I'd hoped you'd get it.

If I was looking to employ an honest hard worker, who knew tons of people in the area, who had experience in that line of work, and who had a very friendly but professional attitude, I wouldn't have to think twice about offering you the job.

Good luck in your search, and to you Flashy.

Their loss will be someone elses gain.

The most notable difference for me is that my gas bill is enormous. I've just phoned to check my gas consumption hadn't risen extraordinarily, and it hasn't. I think I'll have to plan to do what I did last year, and go and stay with my friends for a month in the winter sun, and leave the boiler turned off.

I'm lucky in many ways, especially compared to others seeking work, or like another Accy Web friend, who last week told me his income has fallen by a third, as his company have put everyone on short time for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by garinda; 03-03-2009 at 16:41.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 16:48   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by magily View Post
Wow Lolly I feel terrible for you. I assume that you get some sort of financial aid. It is not that I am naive it is I left England 21yrs ago and don't know what assistance people get who genuinley need it.Judging by some of the responses it seems depending on your financial status as well as what line of work you are in dictates to how this crisis affects you.
I get £60.50 a week income support.

Lilly I phoned the wine bar but didnt speak to the manager and was just told to leave my number and they would get back to me, they never did. I phoned over and over again to get to speak to the manager but never got to speak to him. Its their loss they wouldnt get a better bar maid and certainly not one who has more qualifications for working in a pub. I did numerous courses when I worked for Thwaites including customer service and cellar management. The nearest bar jobs on job centre website are Bolton! Thats how bad it is round here. I've applied for admin jobs as well as I have an ECDL and working knowledge of Sage Accounts programme, but not getting anywhere. I'll keep plugging away though, it is very disheartening though as ive been out of work for 4 months after being made redundant I couldnt tell you how many jobs i've applied for, well over 100 though. Agencies are rubbish as well.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:25   #12
God Member

Quote:

Sorry to read this Lolly, I hope you don't think I was trying to patronise you I really didn't realise how much you were struggling. I know you have always worked, didn't you have two jobs at one time?
Are you sure that they are paying you all you are entitled to. The amount you are getting doesn't seem right to me.

Hope you find a job soon
Old 03-03-2009, 21:32   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It's bad enough to have reduced my nephew to suicide last week.
How much more dire do you want?
The funeral was today by the way and I would like to say a big thank you to the many, many people who turned up to say goodbye to John.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
It's bad enough to have reduced my nephew to suicide last week.
How much more dire do you want?
The funeral was today by the way and I would like to say a big thank you to the many, many people who turned up to say goodbye to John.
I'm really sorry to hear that.

It's so sad to hear of people getting so down that they can't see another way out.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:39   #15
Senior Member+

Thanks Lilly, it's been tough enough without the Observer making a meal of it too.
John was a proud lad and should have asked for help but didn't.
A lesson learned for all of us that knew him and one for others to heed too, even if things look ok on the surface it's not always the case.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..