Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 22:20   #31
God Member

Re: How bad is the credit crunch really affecting people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I do not believe that the majority of families these days live on takeaways and ready made meals....and certainly not if on benefits.... the economics just do not add up....I would not say it is harder now than say 40yrs ago but I can imagine it's hard to tell your kids you can't afford the same things their mates have.. the old saying "what you never had you don't miss " is not reality.
My kids have been told straight....I cant afford it...and they have accepted that and that is now passed on to my grandchildren and they accept it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2009, 22:21   #32
God Member

Mancie -It depends how you define convenience food
For example - that batter mix you bought on Pancake day was just egg, milk and flour - how come you didn't have those in your kitchen already?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:22   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A whole generation has never been taught how to eat well cheaply
Some are feeling deprived now they are having to find out
perfectly true, aint their fault though if not taught. n dont ferget kate, plenty of men were never out of the pub or the bookies, so the wife went short, differant generation, differant ways, it must be great fer all those whose dads kept the mam ok, you really have no idea.
Old 03-03-2009, 22:28   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
My kids have been told straight....I cant afford it...and they have accepted that and that is now passed on to my grandchildren and they accept it.
Suppose you right Royboy ... I never nagged for material things too much.

I have given my kids everything I could afford and they desired in life, and probably my own worst enemy as they would nag a little for more, 'til I sometimes gave in. However, they have made their own way in life now, and work extremely hard for their money.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:31   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
agree thats how mine were brought up, but many have not been roy.
Old 03-03-2009, 22:33   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Mancie -It depends how you define convenience food
For example - that batter mix you bought on Pancake day was just egg, milk and flour - how come you didn't have those in your kitchen already?
It cost 13p!...I did have those items... but I don't think having basic foodstuffs in your kitchen is as relevant to this reccession or even the ones suffered in the 80's... it was harder in "the old days" but at that time there was no choice..no pancake mix for 13p!.. but your nieghbours and friends were all in the same boat, as long as your kids were decently dressed and fed then that was all that mattered...that is not the same these days.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:34   #37
God Member

It was easy enough to do without what people have today 40 or 50 years ago, most of it didn't exist
Old 03-03-2009, 22:36   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It was easy enough to do without what people have today 40 or 50 years ago, most of it didn't exist
I suppose that's what I was saying in around about way!
Old 03-03-2009, 22:36   #39
Senior Member+

It's hard in Tenerife too. No jobs to be found and a lot of the English are making plans to go back home. I've no idea what they are planning to do there though as their houses won't sell here. I just get angry as they are leaving their dogs behind.

As for us, it isn't as easy as it once was. Our income has been cut by a third because of the exchange rate and it's a bit of a struggle. We have just cut out most of the pleasures in life such as meals out and stuff but I'm sure we'll survive.

It's one long worry to pay the bills and another worry is my daughter in Cornwall who is also struggling to bring up three children alone after her husband left..............I wish I could help everyone.

I did spash out on a Lottery ticket today!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:47   #40
God Member

We didn't have pasta sauces in jars because we didn't have pasta, but now we have developed a taste for it is it cheaper to make your own sauce and even better to make your own pasta.
Convenience food in jars and packets is the option for busy working people, but if you now aren't working this is the time to learn

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-03-2009 at 22:55.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:49   #41
God Member

Quote:
I suppose that's what I was saying in around about way!
I think the country has been hit with a massive bump as have most countries in Europe.
This is not the eighties, this is now.
What you have got now try to keep hold of.
Lets hope our lords and masters come up with a solution...they created it by not regulating the 'Cash Cow' that is the banking system.

Old 03-03-2009, 22:52   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think the country has been hit with a massive bump as have most countries in Europe.
Lets hope our lords and masters come up with a solution...they created it by not regulating the 'Cash Cow' that is the banking system.
Don't think they need bother, Blazeys got it sorted.
Old 03-03-2009, 23:04   #43
God Member

Quote:
Yes the "cash cow" and the unrestricted need for flash boys to make a quick quid started all this .... but as has been posted earlier to find yourself on an income of £60.50 to feed and clothe your kids...it's not likely they are living on homemade fruit pies and roast beef!
Old 03-03-2009, 23:07   #44
God Member

Quote:
Yes the "cash cow" and the unrestricted need for flash boys to make a quick quid started all this .... but as has been posted earlier to find yourself on an income of £60.50 to feed and clothe your kids...it's not likely they are living on homemade fruit pies and roast beef!
Roast beef was never mentioned....was it?

Old 03-03-2009, 23:08   #45
Caz
God Member

The £60.50 is the income support rate for an adult, Mancie

Money for children is now paid by tax credits when you are on IS, and there is Child Benefit.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..