Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 22:46   #46
Senior Member+

Pitt Street and houses with pointed lintels

Ha! Knew I had a photo somewhere showing the pointed lintels. I imagine this block would have been facing approx. where Netto now is. Not too sure though. Noticed the tiny, tiny, house?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pittstreet.JPG (37.8 KB, 81 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2004, 22:49   #47
Senior Member+

Re: Pitt Street and houses with pointed lintels

Apparently this small Pitt Street house was built inbetween the old block and the newer block of cottages. Originally there was a dyke here that divided the lands of the Peels and the Lee-Warners.
Old 01-07-2004, 23:46   #48
Member.

Re: Pitt Street

Excellent. This is more than I could have hoped for Atarah. Great family connection with Pitt St and now I can see it. Excellent Stuff.......
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 13:55   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The thread may have started off asking about a street which is now part of Eastgate but you asked if we know where Pinch Belly Row was and I was asking if it's in Huncoat. I believe we were supposed to be guessing.

So was that in the Pitt St area too then?

Yes. About 50 yards South.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:44   #50

I havn't been on for ages and so have missed quite a lot of stuff! I must say though, i've found this Thread to be very interesting, this is what this site is all about don't ya think!!!! plus loads of other stuff too!!!! anyway, I remember there used to be houses , under the viaduct, where the roundabout is now, on top of the wall there to the left as you come down from what used to be the clock garage. It's been so long since I lived there I don't remember the names of these streets, but there was also an off licience at the top there wher it joined KNowlmere street. anyway I wondered if anyone remembers what year these where pulled down?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 14:34   #51
Member.

Littlemo.......Who are you.....how long is it since you left. are you a James????
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 21:54   #52
Resident Waffler

The off licence is still there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:31   #53

when you ask am I a James, do you mean is that my surname?

Nah afraid not, as the name refers, it's Little! I left in '86 but have quite clear memories of the layout of some areas as I remember how they where and not what the'v become. I remember all the rows of houses across from Asda before that was built. There was a little corner shop in there that my dad used to take me too to get 1/4 salted peanuts! thing is I don't remember the names of these places!!!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:36   #54
Senior Member+

Pitt Street

Hiya LittleMo, will try and find a few photo to jog your memory.
Old 21-10-2014, 21:44   #55

Re: Elephant street

Could anyone please tell me where exactly Elephant street was. . . .where would it have stood, if it was there now ?

Last edited by williheckaslike; 21-10-2014 at 21:46.
williheckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 08:19   #56
Senior Member+

Willie - this thread is about Pitt St. You should have started a new thread, It might have been useful for you to have clicked onto Search on the top line and typed Elephant St in to see if there is a thread for it, or if it had been mentioned in other threads. However, likely that you didn't know about Search. It ran between Birtwistle St & Plantation St. As I live away, I am not certain what is there now. Have a search for the 'Street Names' thread and it should tell you about the elephant after which the street is named.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 08:33   #57
Senior Member+

An old map here if you`re interested.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environ...cc/acceast.jpg
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 16:43   #58
Resident Waffler

It is no longer there Willie. That whole side of Plantation St has been totally rearranged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elephant St.jpg (190.9 KB, 13 views)

Old 22-10-2014, 19:58   #59
Senior Member+

But Lee Street is still there, so if you stand at the end of it, and look across, that's where Elephant Street would have been.
Old 22-10-2014, 20:15   #60
Resident Waffler

Indeed it is Atarah, as you can see on the inset map. The area from Cobham St (now Cobham Rd) down to Abbey St between Plantation St and Birtwistle St is the area which was demolished and now has a totally different layout.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..