Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 22:51   #16
God Member

Re: Fitting an outside tap.....

if its a proper kit they are built into the tap
Posted via Mobile Device
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 07:24   #17
Senior Member+

You also need a very large masonery drill bit to drill a hole through the brick expensive for something you will probably only use once! we bought a tap kit and i had it about 2 years before daddiboo (attempted to fit it!) it only dribbles water at a speed i could spit at and it now leaks too! i wouldnt bother trying to do it yourself i would get someone to fit it next time!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28   #18
Senior Member+

Tools arnt an issue, I have my Dad (Not calling him a tool, wouldnt dare, but he always seems to have any tools that I need)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Ballcocks?
I have two of them Beni
Old 07-04-2009, 15:09   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have two of them Beni
Fitting a tap takes a few minutes,connecting to water supply is the hard bit.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:14   #21
God Member

These diy kits are ok, but a couple of things you should watch for, the connecting pipe is only rubber (goes through the wall) and could easily chafe and break with vibration if positioned wrongly, and the tap which is designed to fit onto the pipework and then puncture a hole into the cold water supply pipe, could cut a complete piece of copper out of the supply pipe, given the pressure of cold water supply, I would not want a small piece of copper loose in the water supply, it could finish up in all manner of places. The large drill you need to get through the wall is 16mm, and this is only if you do not want to put a protective sleeve on the pipe.
Old 08-04-2009, 15:49   #22

ISTR that the double check valve taps are not to current regs & that the non return valve needs to be inside the property, whereas the tap is outside.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 16:33   #23
Senior Member+

Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink
Old 08-04-2009, 16:45   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?
Old 08-04-2009, 16:50   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink
Good idea try the pound shops.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:38   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?
With consent, yes

I can do pretty much anything so long as I have their authorisation, but on the other side, thy can request that anything I have done in the house (be it fitting a shower, new fire etc) be returned to its original state (when I moved in)
Old 08-04-2009, 22:51   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Good idea try the pound shops.
They have some in Wilkinsons, but watch it, I noticed some of one type, the sealing washers had fallen out, try using one without the washer, and you will have a new shower installed.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 17:42   #28

I have looked into it & the reason you cannot legally use the bib taps (the ones with the valves in) is because they get subjected to freezing weather & are not reliable then, so regs require a separate check valve inside the property.

The little things we learn eh, now if only they made the water regs freely available then lots of us that DIY would be able to do it to the appropriate regs.

Ditto for BS7671 & electrics.

When attaching a quick fitting that screw down into your pipe, it is not a good idea to put it on a main supply pipe to other things like upstairs showers etc.
What your doing is pitting an 8mm diameter shaft into the 15mm pipe, so that can also restrict flow to other stuff depending how far it goes in. put it into an offshoot from the main pipe, I.E. the one to the kitchen tap etc.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 18:02   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't have any type of check valve on either of my taps, one outside and one in the garage.

When did the regulation come into force and is it retrospective?
Old 09-04-2009, 18:35   #30
God Member

Yours would just be 'not to current standards' Neil, and I'm fairly confident you know what that means, if you are fitting a double check valve in your own home, you can put it where you like, the idea is to stop water siphoning back out of hose pipes etc, into the drinking water.
As for not interrupting a mains flow to an outlet, that is what you would be doing if you put one of the screw in contraptions before the tap, in fact, put it anywhere in the cold water pipe, and it will restrict the flow to something, it is unnavoidable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..